123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best HD for the mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rosso

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to update the situation....

I bought a LaCie firewire 400 Gig external HD. Its seriously quick! There is a big improvement over the apple standard 80 gig internal. BUT and this is a big BUT. Its NOISY! Now I heard so much rant about the silence of this HD so I bought it. Yes agreed it is fanless. When idle, I suppose its dead silent but when actively used i.e. when the drive is reading/writing, Its noisy. That churning noise ruins the calm atmosphere I once enjoyed with just my mini. Hence I've decided I shall be keeping this soley as a music storage medium and its only to be used to play my music from. This was the initial idea anyway so things arent at a loss here.

Now then, I've decided to upgrade the internal HD as the dreaded beachball of doom pops up when I boot from the mac HD. However silence is paramount. The current HD inside the apple is SILENT. I have to try hard to hear it churning away. Thats the kind of noise level I'm looking for in a HD. Of course speed is important but if a 7200 RPM churns like the LaCie I would like to give it a miss.

What say ye now?
Gmas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: silence Reply with quote

don't remember who said in a forum that "silence is so apple-esque". I have to agree. Good choice from my perspective.

As far as internal goes, the 7k60 from Hitachi is the standard, but it is in short supply now. Apparently the Seagate 100GB 5400 is good as well. More options are coming out soon.

Gmas.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
You know what they say silence is....very Apple-esque...

I just wanted to give myself credit, Cool. But anyways...

Other options are the 7k100, again 7200rpm but $330 around online. There is also the Fujitsu MHV2120AT, which is a 120Gb drive and I found it for 230 Euros, though I couldn't find rpm information on it. Either way, that drive will be fast with such high platter density, though at 7200rpm it'll scream.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: becnhmarks Reply with quote

Gmas wrote:
I wouldn't necessarily agree the internal 7200 2.5 is faster than an external FW 7200 3.5 , benchmarks at barefeats:

http://www.barefeats.com/mini01c.html

suggest otherwise.

Or am I missing something in the previous posts?

Thanks,
Gmas.

What is amazing is that the 7k60 performs almost as well or better as an external drive.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
Susurrus wrote:
You know what they say silence is....very Apple-esque...

I just wanted to give myself credit, Cool. But anyways...

Other options are the 7k100, again 7200rpm but $330 around online. There is also the Fujitsu MHV2120AT, which is a 120Gb drive and I found it for 230 Euros, though I couldn't find rpm information on it. Either way, that drive will be fast with such high platter density, though at 7200rpm it'll scream.

According to Fujitsu the drive is 4200 rpm.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chillywilly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: silence Reply with quote

Gmas wrote:
As far as internal goes, the 7k60 from Hitachi is the standard, but it is in short supply now. Apparently the Seagate 100GB 5400 is good as well. More options are coming out soon.

The one drive I'm looking at is the Seagate Momentus 5400.2 120gb 5400rpm drive.

Looks like it's popular, since New Egg shows out of stock on it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822146231

I figure, if I'm going to open up the mini and upgrade, might as well add 40gb instead of 20gb to my current internal 80gb.
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: silence Reply with quote

chillywilly wrote:
The one drive I'm looking at is the Seagate Momentus 5400.2 120gb 5400rpm drive.

Looks like it's popular, since New Egg shows out of stock on it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822146231

Everywhere I looked it was out of stock more than likely because it is new and hasn't been shipped. Also lack of reviews for this drive on Newegg might be because there havn't been any sold.

Looking at the benchmarks of this drive's sibling (the 100gb model) in the mini it looks very promising.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
chillywilly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: silence Reply with quote

homerjatmoes wrote:
Everywhere I looked it was out of stock more than likely because it is new and hasn't been shipped. Also lack of reviews for this drive on Newegg might be because there havn't been any sold.

Looking at the benchmarks of this drive's sibling (the 100gb model) in the mini it looks very promising.

That's a good point about it not being released. I had thought it was, along with the 100gb model.

I put it on my wish list out there.
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a big price difference between to 100GB and the 120GB Momentus drives. I don't see the benifit of paying ~$90 more for 20GB of drive space.

You can always get an external drive if the need arises.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: