123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GigaBit Switch: Is this what I need?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: GigaBit Switch: Is this what I need? Reply with quote

I need to set up a wired network between 2 Mac's so I can move files quickly and share an internet connection between them and an Xbox. I have a DSL Modem router that came free from my ISP, it has 1 ethernet port and wireless, and apart from the lack of ethernet ports, I'm happy with it. My plan is to buy this switch and connect my Modem/Router, Mac's and Xbox to it, my internet connection will then be shared/split by this switch between the other devices, and I can also move files from Mac to Mac over the GigaBit LAN.

Is my understanding correct or do I need a different networking device, maybe a router?
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your understanding is correct. You already own a router, which will handle the sharing of your internet connection between devices, and the switch will just relay that information.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: me Reply with quote

I would like to do this when if I ever get a second Mac since they'll just use my wireless connection (it's been stable for 6 weeks straight now).

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
JamesE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I should be able to get one today so I'll post back and let you know how it works out.
JamesE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Update! Reply with quote

Bought it this afternoon and I now have it up and running. I'm impressed how easy it was to setup, it really was just "Plug and Play". I had a problem at first with really slow transfer rates and after a bit of head scratching I found the problem to be and old CAT5 cable that need to be swapped for a CAT5e. So I had to buy a new cable and pull up the carpet, again.

It looks good and is smaller than I expected, I have it sat on top of my Mac Mini, its about 1cm less wide on each side and in white and silver it matches well.

Also (and I'm ashamed to say this but) I don't know how to do the math to work out my transfer rate. I moved an 8.32GB folder in 4.25 minutes, I don't know whether that is good, bad, or average for GigaBit LAN.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8.32GB in 4.25 minutes, is 8519.68 MB in 255 seconds, so 33.41MB/sec which is about 267megabit/sec. Chances are 33MB is the max your drives can output, so you're doing pretty well.
JamesE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Just what I wanted to hear. Now, how do I make it faster Laughing.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesE wrote:
Very Happy Just what I wanted to hear. Now, how do I make it faster Laughing.

Faster hard drives, more efficient transfer methods (FTP seems to be the fastest on my network, faster than AFP or CIFS).
JamesE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faster Hard Drives are just a dream right now. I'd like to try out ftp though, could you help me with it please. How do I set it up and use it (in a nutshell).
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the host computer, Sharing System Preference -> Services -> FTP Access

Then use an FTP client on the client computer (Cyberduck, Transmit, many others), and connect to the other computer using its IP address, or possibly its bonjour address, and your username/password.
JamesE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I'll check it out, hopefully it'll be faster but I'm not getting my hopes up.
miniconvert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Update! Reply with quote

JamesE wrote:
Bought it this afternoon and I now have it up and running. I'm impressed how easy it was to setup, it really was just "Plug and Play". I had a problem at first with really slow transfer rates and after a bit of head scratching I found the problem to be and old CAT5 cable that need to be swapped for a CAT5e. So I had to buy a new cable and pull up the carpet, again.

It looks good and is smaller than I expected, I have it sat on top of my Mac Mini, its about 1cm less wide on each side and in white and silver it matches well.

Also (and I'm ashamed to say this but) I don't know how to do the math to work out my transfer rate. I moved an 8.32GB folder in 4.25 minutes, I don't know whether that is good, bad, or average for GigaBit LAN.

You've about reached the limit of your machine's hard drive most likely. I have that exact model of gigabit switch from netgear and I can 33MB/s sustained transfers between my mac mini and a *single* drive on my file server. When I'm copying to/from my RAID set on my file server I can get around 38MB/s with peaks in the 40MB/s range.

You can't do much better than you are without getting much faster drives and/or using RAID.
JamesE

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the conformation, the speed will do just fine and at least everything is performing to the best of it's ability.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: