123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates the Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oddboggle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I placed an order for a Mac mini on the 21st. I'd got all the bells and whistles it offered (i.e. 1.42, 512MB ram, Bluetooth, etc.). I was surprised to learn LAST NIGHT from you guys that the new generation was happening and found I was unable to check the status of my order.

When I was finally able to check the status of my order, it showed that I was automatically upgraded to the new system (Yay!) and that it hadn't shipped. I called and kicked up the memory to a gig for around $40. Color me happy.

I'm still trying to note the new features. Did it offer composite/S-video out before?

Oddboggle
resuna

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddboggle wrote:
I'm still trying to note the new features. Did it offer composite/S-video out before?

That's a function of what adaptor you plug into the DVI. It only comes with VGA, and on the Mac mini detailed specs page you'll see composite/svideo says "(requires Apple DVI to Video Adapter, sold separately)".
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddboggle wrote:

The mini has never had built in S-Video/ Composite Video. You will need to buy the optional S-Video/ Composite Video adapter if you need that hookup.
boiledbill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject: Purchased Mac Mini July 5th Reply with quote

My Lombard processor died in the heat of July. Just bought a Mac Mini on July 5th with the help of this forum. The new upgraded didn't hurt to much. I chose the 1.25 and added a gig stick from Other World Computing. So I'm just out the difference in the resale value of a 256 stick and a 512 stick. Wink
andp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Purchased Mac Mini July 5th Reply with quote

boiledbill wrote:
My Lombard processor died in the heat of July. Just bought a Mac Mini on July 5th with the help of this forum. The new upgraded didn't hurt to much. I chose the 1.25 and added a gig stick from Other World Computing. So I'm just out the difference in the resale value of a 256 stick and a 512 stick. Wink

Not a big deal for previous 1.25 owners. Most of you probably ripped out the 256 sticks anyways. The best thing about these lackluster updates is the fact that none of our machines are out of date. Very Happy
calle73

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the 1.42 model without the superdrive today!
I been waiting for more than a month on an update and actually I was expecting more.
But I feel that I can't wait anymore - I need to get away from the dark side after been using a pc for 2 years.

And I also had an Apple promotion code Smile
andp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calle73 wrote:
I been waiting for more than a month on an update and actually I was expecting more.
But I feel that I can't wait anymore - I need to get away from the dark side after been using a pc for 2 years.

Well at least you got AE/Bluetooth for free! Wouldn't have on Monday. Wink

Where did you get the promo?
anthonymoody

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LouieMacGoo wrote:
I think that Apple missed a key issue by not increasing the video capability of the Mini. I think that the videocard is the weakest link in the armor of the Mini

IMO the weakest link - by *far* is the s l o w hard drive. I practically couldn't believe how much faster the mini is when booting off an external fw drive. My xbench went from like 113 to 134, with most of the gains obviously coming from disk tests. In practice, it feels like a new machine. Don't get me wrong, more VRAM would be nice, but not as nice as a (much) faster built in HD.

As far as additional updates go, I firmly believe there will be one more before the mactel mini comes out. I think it'll be in January, basically 6 months from now. And the mactel mini will be out around this time next year (probably June at the show).

TM
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthonymoody wrote:
As far as additional updates go, I firmly believe there will be one more before the mactel mini comes out. I think it'll be in January, basically 6 months from now. And the mactel mini will be out around this time next year (probably June at the show).

TM

I can't wait for a 5400rpm perpendicular storage based 2.5" hard drive. With the high aureal density combined with an improved speed of a 5400rpm, not only would the base Mini come with 100Gb drive, but that drive would feel like a 7200rpm desktop drive.

A faster hard drive would be nice but again, the Mini is a web surfing, basic creativity app, email machine. Those don't require large disk access, especially with the RAM now a default of 512Mb, so a faster hard drive wouldn't improve the UE that much for Apple's TM.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
andp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the 4,200 rpm hard drives are the Mac mini's biggest bottleneck. The 9200 isn't that bad of a video card for everyday use. It would be nice to have that ripple effect though! Laughing
resuna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
With the high aureal density...

You play the hard-drive by ear?

(I think you mean areal)
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
Susurrus wrote:
With the high aureal density...

You play the hard-drive by ear?

(I think you mean areal)

Well, actually, aureal isn't a word, since we're here. Aural is of or relating to the ear.

I googled aureal and found it mentioned in hard drive articles, just like I thought it was used. I guess I learned from the wrong sites. Yes, areal is the correct term; I apologize.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
calle73

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the code by subscribing to the Apple store eNews Smile

andp wrote:
calle73 wrote:

Well at least you got AE/Bluetooth for free! Wouldn't have on Monday. Wink

Where did you get the promo?
andp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calle73 wrote:

You lucky dog! How much was it for? I better get subscribing to those. Time to set up a new Gmail junk account. Laughing
calle73

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

625 SEK, about 80 $ Very Happy
So all of a sudden the middle model was just 375 SEK (47 $) more expensive Very Happy

andp wrote:
calle73 wrote:

You lucky dog! How much was it for? I better get subscribing to those. Time to set up a new Gmail junk account. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: