123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Refurbished ipods

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tortoise

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Refurbished ipods Reply with quote

Apple's refurbed ipods seem like a really good deal to me. But I've never owned an ipod and know basically nothing about them.

Is there any reason I wouldn't want a refurbed 4g ipod mini for $149 instead of a new 4g nano for $249? Obviously size and "coolness" factor in, but that hardly matters to me.

What are the differences between "ipod with click wheel" and "ipod with color display" which generation is which here? I take it the click wheel is a physically moving wheel? For just $20 more I'd be getting 16 more gigs over the mini, sounds good too.

Any recommendations? Anyone else got a refurbed ipod from Apple. How is it?
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refurb iPods are usually iPods returned to Apple that most likely have the same problem. The battery is dead or something to do with the click wheel. All they would do is replace the battery, so you get a brand new battery, and maybe change the face place with the click wheel control card attached.
An iPod with click wheel, should be the one with the click wheel, but no color. Of course the iPod with color display has a color display and will show photos.

I personally say at this point, since they are all decent deals, go with the one that is most comfortable to you. I like the previous generation of iPods (the 4th with color), because I have big hands and they fit better than the iPod with video.
At the same time, the design of the nano fits in my hand well too, since it's not wide. The iPod mini has a big following, it was one of the best selling iPod versions out there.
Plus take a look at the headphone ports as well. The nano's port is on the bottom, while the mini has it on top. Even the new iPod with video has it on the far right side, which the others have it in the middle. I like it in the middle, but that is just my preference.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
...Of course the iPod with color display has a color display and will show photos.
Am I right in thinking that the greyscale iPods won't display even black & white photos? Will the iPod mini charge from, and accept tunes over FireWire?
drewd

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ball wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
...Of course the iPod with color display has a color display and will show photos.
Am I right in thinking that the greyscale iPods won't display even black & white photos? Will the iPod mini charge from, and accept tunes over FireWire?

You are correct about the grayscale iPods and no, the Mini will not use Firewire.

-Drew
ball

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbished iPods Reply with quote

drewd wrote:
...no, the Mini will not use Firewire.

Was it the third or fourth generation iPod that was the last to include proper FireWire support? Is it possible to buy those factory refurbished?
ecking

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mini can use fire wire, it was the nanos and videos that did away with that.
drewd

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecking wrote:
The mini can use fire wire, it was the nanos and videos that did away with that.

My wife's mini won't work with firewire - and after checking with Apple's web site, I must assume that it's a problem on our end Shocked

-Drew
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: firewire Reply with quote

the video and nano iPoda can only charge from FireWire, but charge and transfer data over USB. The reason is size and price on the nanos, since a FireWire chip isn't cheap after you add price of color display and flash memory when it is that small and it just wouldn't fit anywhere, and the same with the video since the HDD and battery take up a lot of the room.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
cuvtixo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: ipod for Firewire booting! Firewire Reply with quote

I would really like something like this- but the price is way too high!
http://www.micromat.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=173&Itemid=0
MICROMAT TECHTOOL PROTEGE is a 1 Gig Firewire Flash Drive- with all Micromat diagnosis tools on it of course!
I wish I knew where they get the flash IEEE 1394!!!

If I can get a good price, I'll settle for this:
http://www.micromat.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=185&Itemid=0
Of course, I can bargain hunt for the iPod...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPods All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: