123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WD Intros New My Book Lineup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: WD Intros New My Book Lineup Reply with quote

WD Intros New My Book Lineup
Thursday, September 20, 2007
Posted by: Glenn

WD today introduced a new "smaller and sleeker" line of My Book external storage solutions. The new models include the My Book Home Edition, My Book Office Edition and My Book Essential Edition. Ranging from 320 GB to 1 TB, the new My Book models were designed with specific users in mind. According to the company, "Home users will appreciate the automatic and continuous backup of their precious memories on the My Book Home Edition. Office users will rely on the remote access and sharing capabilities of the My Book Office Edition. My Book Essential Edition meets the needs of users who seek simple, instant storage." Pricing for the My Book product family ranges from $129.99 to $379.99 depending on model and capacity.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/765.html

Last edited by admin on Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the new styling. I wonder if the fuel gauge works better now with the power button on the back? My two rings just seem to bend together. You really can't see a difference between the power ring and fuel gauge because the light bleeds over.
slickrick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These look a little more refined than the old models. I would consider buying one.
kbulava
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too bad they didnt redo the world editions. I need gigabit ethernet connections for shared storage. oh well, lacie's works good.
Dinshaw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Apple starts to release some consumer-level systems in the future with eSATA. Especially seeing that most of these new external drives come with a triple (USB, Firewire, and eSATA) interface. It just seems like Apple is behind the curve with eSATA.
zuzu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbulava wrote:
too bad they didnt redo the world editions. I need gigabit ethernet connections for shared storage. oh well, lacie's works good.

Check out Buffalo's LinkStation Pro, which not only have gigabit ethernet, but also runs on Linux and has a large hacker community dedicated to it.

http://www.nas-central.org/index.php/Main_Page
http://www.linkstationwiki.net/index.php/Welcome_to_the_Kurobox_Wiki
http://kurobox.com/mwiki/index.php/Welcome_to_the_Kurobox_Wiki
http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage/linkstation/linkstation-pro/

p.s. grammar-nazi moment: "works well" not "works good" Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dinshaw wrote:
I hope Apple starts to release some consumer-level systems in the future with eSATA. Especially seeing that most of these new external drives come with a triple (USB, Firewire, and eSATA) interface. It just seems like Apple is behind the curve with eSATA.

my understanding of eSATA, compared to Firewire 800 (1394b), is that it provides faster throughput (~300Mbps with SATA-II) but loses the convenience of daisy-chaining.

I'm not sure where this fits in Apple's product line, except the MacPro (which can easily add an eSATA card). perhaps the MacBook Pro could use it to maximize compatibility on-the-go (an an SATA chip is already present for the HDD). perhaps the Mac Mini since so many here do the external SATA boot drive modification, but Apple could also just upgrade it to Firewire 800 too.

what are your "user stories" for needing eSATA?

personally, I wish Apple would make a strategic partnership with Sun to roll out iSCSI (along with ZFS) for their respective SAN markets. users chaining together multiple terabytes of datastores in their home is becoming more common place, and in a year or two I suspect people will want an easy "it just works" way to manage this, in a much more robust way than "Airport Disk" does now. (and usually the best consumer technologies are the mature and polished server technologies of years gone by; sort out the SAN mess for gigabit home networking.)
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slickrick wrote:
These look a little more refined than the old models. I would consider buying one.

I think so too. I think the gloss black version is classy looking. It would complement the piano black gloss speakers I own.
cuvtixo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Bundled with Windows crapware? Reply with quote

"Home users will appreciate the automatic and continuous backup of their precious memories on the My Book Home Edition"
Does this refer to the (Windows-only) backup software? It's a pain to delete bundled software I can't use (and probably wouldn't even if I could)
Rolling Eyes
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone seen a good closeout sale on the Premium Edition models? I wouldn't mind picking up a second one so I have a pair that matches.
iLife's a Bitch!
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
Has anyone seen a good closeout sale on the Premium Edition models? I wouldn't mind picking up a second one so I have a pair that matches.

Costco $149, 500Gb, Online they aren't listed. You'll have to go in if you have one in the area.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hear it for the new studio editions!!!!! Whoo-hoo
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
Costco $149, 500Gb, Online they aren't listed. You'll have to go in if you have one in the area.

I've seen a few deals online for about the same amount of money. I was kinda hoping for a better price now that they've been replaced with newer models.
iLife's a Bitch!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: