123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple lowers price of 8GB iPhone to $399
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I think Starbucks is the evil empire here.

They said in the keynote that the average Starbucks customer patronizes Starbucks 18 times per month. At $5 per visit (that doesn't include your fuel cost and time) in 2 months that's 36 visits

36*$5=$180

About the cost of owning the the iPhone for the first 2 months. The only thing is those people return to Starbucks day after day and month after month.

I bet there are people sitting at Starbuck's RIGHT NOW discussing the iPhone $200 price drop Smile

We make our own coffee her in Europe which beats Starbucks! That having said, I love their trinkets and gadgets. I have one of their blue BIG "perfumebottle" waterbottles! Laughing
zuzu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
CaliforniaMini wrote:
Obviously they do their market research before releasing a product. That should have told them that the 8GB was going to sell better than the 4 even with the higher price. Now it should do that much better with the price drop.

I think this price drop is going to come back to haunt Apple. They should have forgotten about the 4GB model and come out a lower priced 8GB model at launch. Then come out with higher priced 16GB + models. I don't see where they go with this generation now when it comes to new models or pricing.

I'm betting $600 will remain the "top-tier" price point for the iPhone, and once the 16GB iPhone passes the FCC gauntlet it will be available for $600.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuzu wrote:
I'm betting $600 will remain the "top-tier" price point for the iPhone, and once the 16GB iPhone passes the FCC gauntlet it will be available for $600.

$499 would be my guess for "top tier".

Or we may just see the (speculated) 16GB replace the current model for $399. I'll give it 2 months Smile
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iCredits

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/openiphoneletter/
iLife's a Bitch!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
iCredits

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/openiphoneletter/

Only a hundred bucks Evil or Very Mad

I'm just kidding of course. But I'm sure some people will complain that it's not $200.

Good on Apple. I hope we can all play nice and get along now.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice its a $100 of apple credit and not $100 cash

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
I notice its a $100 of apple credit and not $100 cash

Cash would kill Apple in administration cost etc. Even credit will come at a great expense, a lot of people may take quite some time to use it.

It is reasonable that it is credit.
serpent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny, 1st let me appologise for aiming my questions at your quotes and not quoting the OP. I AM TRUELLY SORRY FOR MY ERR.
Again tho without knowing what types of tariff etc. a particular EU country charges an American company to import their products, It is absurd to just comment that Apple is ripping people off even if it seems that, that is what they're doing.
ie: macpro on Apples NL site €300 difference in cost over exchanging to US dollars and purchasing in US. that €300 is 16% of €2100 NL price. Isn't it possible that Apple's tarrif equals your BWL?

Mr.Angry? Yeah maybe but not at the price drop. Whats the difference if it happened now or Christmas? There would always be those who bought 1-day before cutoff, everyone else loses anyway.
I'm just angry because people don't cry about the right thing. I saw a 35 cent drop in gasoline prices in the last 3 weeks. To me that is at least an $8.40 savings per tank and a minimum of $437 per year savings. Now no new tech, refining, or pumping procedures were discovered in the last 3 weeks to accomplish this! But it affects alot more people than bought iPhones. Why aren't they all crying and threatening Big Oil never to purchase their products? Aren't we all their loyal customers? That's what angers me!

Humbly,
Serpent
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I think Starbucks is the evil empire here.

They said in the keynote that the average Starbucks customer patronizes Starbucks 18 times per month. At $5 per visit (that doesn't include your fuel cost and time) in 2 months that's 36 visits

36*$5=$180

About the cost of owning the the iPhone for the first 2 months. The only thing is those people return to Starbucks day after day and month after month.

I bet there are people sitting at Starbuck's RIGHT NOW discussing the iPhone $200 price drop Smile

Starbucks evil? Noooooooo. I patronize Starbucks every morning before work @ 5am. Starbucks calls me and asks me what I'd like to drink and it is there waiting for me when I get there 3 minutes later. And it doesn't cost me a penny for any of this. How could Starbucks be evil???

Guess it helps to have a non-evil good friend who manages a Starbucks. Smile
serpent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cash refund would not kill them in admin costs. A simple swipe of a credit card and your money is back where it belongs. All other phases are handled my computers and other companies. It only hurts their bottom line, Profits. But by giving everyone a store credit, his profits are now even higher, depending on how you spend your credit Apples liability would probably average 40 cents on a dollar. The higher the price tag of item bought the less this credit costs Apple.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

serpent wrote:
A cash refund would not kill them in admin costs. A simple swipe of a credit card and your money is back where it belongs.

Are you saying that a cash refund would be equal in admin costs to a credit? If so please explain. I would assume it would be much higher. Cash on hand to cover all the refunds. Protection against fraudulent claims etc. Verification at all POS stations that the claim has not been made and that you are entitled to it etc. Again please explain your theory. I'm not saying I'm right or you're wrong, but I'd like more detail on your viewpoint.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

40 cents on the dollar is a good estimate Serpent. Smart on Apple's part. Plus look at all the "good guy" publicity it brings Apple which is priceless.

The Microsoft Zune dropped $50 on Sept. 5th. I wonder if Microsoft will give me a credit. Laughing Laughing Laughing
serpent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
serpent wrote:
A cash refund would not kill them in admin costs. A simple swipe of a credit card and your money is back where it belongs.

Are you saying that a cash refund would be equal in admin costs to a credit? If so please explain. I would assume it would be much higher. Cash on hand to cover all the refunds. Protection against fraudulent claims etc. Verification at all POS stations that the claim has not been made and that you are entitled to it etc. Again please explain your theory. I'm not saying I'm right or you're wrong, but I'd like more detail on your viewpoint.

other then giving up $100 of profit, I believe the Admin costs will be next to nothing if they refunded money.
only other additional cost I can foresee is whether or not any additional credit card processing fee will be charged or credited to Apples bank account for processing the payment.
Apple clearly stated that all credits will be given to those that still retain their original reciept. So no reciept probably will mean no credit.
If you get a credit w/o it's up to the mercy of the manager.(I recv'd mine w/o)
Credit will prob be handled the same as a store return. You wait online, show receipt to cashier, they scan it, you give them your credit card. they swipe, you sign, and when they update CC system your money is returned to your account. If you paid cash the draw opens and you recieve a brand new Ben Franklin.
Remember now their data base has all your info, phone serial # etc. Whether giving money back or credit, I don't think you can fool the system.

Now if only store credit/gift card. they must do all of the above plus link a gift card to your purchase in database and physically give you card.- that to me is more work. Plus now that you have gift card when you come back to purhcase something, that = another sale and use of someones time. Ask an employee for help with purchase or use credit on multiple trips/purchases = even more time = more costs.
The BIG benefit in Apple only giving a Store credit even though I believe it will cost them more. Is they're still Keeping your money! Depending what you use it for I think at a minimum they're only giving you back 50 cents on a dollar. I think alot of accesories like a mini dvi to dvi cable that costs them only pennies to make = a $20 sale. Headphones, docks, sync cables, etc. Steve is laughing all the way to the bank!
Lose your gift card or have a balance you never use = even more money never returned.
So even though there is in my belief more Admin fees involved in giving store credit, in the long run far less money will actually be Lost by Apple.

Now me, instead of going Boo Hoo Hoo and expressing my discontent in every Forum I participate in, I found my time much better spent travelling to the Apple Store I made my purchase at, and I'm quite happy I did! If I had cried like everyone else and waited for Apple's annoucement today I would have only recieved what everyone else is.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

serpent wrote:
Johnny, 1st let me appologise for aiming my questions at your quotes and not quoting the OP. I AM TRUELLY SORRY FOR MY ERR.
Again tho without knowing what types of tariff etc. a particular EU country charges an American company to import their products, It is absurd to just comment that Apple is ripping people off even if it seems that, that is what they're doing.
ie: macpro on Apples NL site €300 difference in cost over exchanging to US dollars and purchasing in US. that €300 is 16% of €2100 NL price. Isn't it possible that Apple's tarrif equals your BWL?

Well, I felt attacked as well, so you might even apologize to me! Laughing

Anyway, what do you mean with BWL? Our BTW (comparible with your sales tax is 19% As far as I knowe, there are no import taxes, that would be illegal and the USA would make just as much fuzz as China makes when there is a tariff put on their ultracheap goods being imported in the US.
serpent wrote:
Mr.Angry? Yeah maybe but not at the price drop. Whats the difference if it happened now or Christmas? There would always be those who bought 1-day before cutoff, everyone else loses anyway.
I'm just angry because people don't cry about the right thing. I saw a 35 cent drop in gasoline prices in the last 3 weeks. To me that is at least an $8.40 savings per tank and a minimum of $437 per year savings. Now no new tech, refining, or pumping procedures were discovered in the last 3 weeks to accomplish this! But it affects alot more people than bought iPhones. Why aren't they all crying and threatening Big Oil never to purchase their products? Aren't we all their loyal customers? That's what angers me!

Humbly,
Serpent

You should be humble, indeed, as the gas prices in our country which are almost 90% tax, only differ a few eurocents every now and then . At the moment around € 1.38 per LITER at the cheapest in my area (please, calculate that!) Along the highways € 1.47. I've been driving across EU on vacation and only in AUstria the prices where around € 1.17/liter and I know Luxemburg is even cheaper, but in our country, the government likes to push the driver to their limit. We are used to it, but it is always a horror to go to the gas station

Last edited by James T Kirk on Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

serpent wrote:

No problem, Serpent. Let's forget the past, and start again.

serpent wrote:

Yes, it is possible. My response to DCGuy's post probably sounded more certain and factual than it should have done, given my inability to know how the retail price of an imported computer is divided up. It also sounded a little abrupt. Sorry, DCGuy! Sad

serpent wrote:
I saw a 35 cent drop in gasoline prices in the last 3 weeks.

Mamma Mia! I can tell that you don't live in the UK.

James T Kirk wrote:
At the moment around € 1.38 per LITER at the cheapest in my area (please, calculate that!) Along the highways € 1.47. I've been driving across EU on vacation and only in AUstria the prices where around € 1.17/liter and I know Luxemburg is even cheaper

In the NE of England, gasoline and diesel prices are about £0.96 per litre (€1.42 per litre or US$8.82 per gallon). London will be more expensive. The only defence here is to drive an economical car. My Renault Clio Diesel achieves 58 miles per gallon (4.05 litres per 100km), but the newer cars (e.g. VW Lupo Diesel, Audi A2 Diesel) can give 30% more fuel efficiency than that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: