123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacko101

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I'm a recent 'switcher' going from Windows XP / Linux (various) and must say that the Mini that I bought just a few months ago outshines any PC I have ever had!

Some people on here saying 'it's a great little machine' or 'good for email'; they've obviously never used one. It packs a heavyweight punch out of a featherweight body!

I bought the 1.83 with 1Gb and while I wouldn't say it never goes slow, it's a lot quicker than my last PC. OS X is great as well, not perfect (bring on Leopard!) but it certainly beats XP and Vista (which I've used several times on various PC and it does indeed suck). I'm still amazed at the speed OS X comes out of sleep. Windows may display your screen quickly after sleep, but the hard drive is rattling away for ages before you can actually do anything.

I never really got into Mac in previous years, I was a die hard Amiga boy back in the day, so I was waiting a long time for anything to catch up with the Amiga OS, certainly in terms of speed and multi-tasking, but obviously not really in terms of networking!

For me now, the Mac is more personal, never mind the new HP marketing about 'PC is personal again'; it just isn't and never will be.

Right now, I'm being more productive and having more fun than I've had in years (on the computer anyway!) and that is really what matters to me.

Shame it took me so long to realise, but at least I'm here now!
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacko101 wrote:

Snip: story that looks so familiar...

Shame it took me so long to realise, but at least I'm here now!

Welcome Jack, so many people really don't have a clue, but then again, I met some which could not get used to OSX or they complain, "that this and that programme is not in my native language or does not work on my Mac" (G4). They usually are people who who obviously are not made of the "Maccies-stuff", as sometimes I think it's not for everybody. They want to work with a Mac (or Linux/BSD/whatever for that matter) like they do with Windblows, they're so conservative in their mind, a computer must have a windows-screen somehow. I've been to "cybercafé's"here in Europe, but never seen one with Mac's or even Linux, while that would be the wisest decision. The least of work and reliable for surfing, reading web-based e-mail, upoading your foto's to your home network or whatever. In France I came across a couple of coin-operated Mac's though! Laughing
zuzu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
zuzu wrote:
I need a C2D w/ 4GB of RAM just to multitask with a plausible gamut of productivity software: Camino, Apple Mail, Address Book, Aquamacs, Keynote, Photoshop, iTunes, VLC, iGTD, and Terminal.

Yeah, and if you don't believe that, here's a video of Zuzu's desktop and dock with just 1 gig of Ram Wink : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pFRdx2VbGg

For what it's worth, Jamie agrees with me:

jwz wrote:
Dear Lazyweb, my iMac is 17 months old now. I'm ready for it to be twice as fast. The new iMacs appear to be only 40% faster. What happened to this "Moore's Law" I've heard so much about?

Also, still only 4GB RAM? WTF, am I the only person who wants to be able to run Photoshop and Safari at the same time?

babasyzygy wrote:
I suspect that you don't tend to keep many windows/tabs open in Safari.

I'm more at the other end of the spectrum: I open a ton of related links in tabs, and then read a prior window while the tabs load. This is especially easy if you've got loads of RSS feeds in a menu and use "Open in Tabs."

With this kind of usage pattern, Safari becomes a Katamari covered in memory pigs - it doesn't release the memory once the windows/tabs are closed. Right now, my Safari has a 1.88 GB footprint - and that's with two windows with two tabs each currently open (1a: JWZ RSS, 1b: this item. 2a & 2b: my user profile pages on two other sites - more were open earlier, but I haven't been reading up on anything particularly aggressively this session).

If my disk is close to full, I reboot my 2GB MBP more often to release the disk space from my swap file - even another GB would make a big difference.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuzu wrote:

jwz wrote:
Dear Lazyweb, my iMac is 17 months old now. I'm ready for it to be twice as fast. The new iMacs appear to be only 40% faster. What happened to this "Moore's Law" I've heard so much about?

Also, still only 4GB RAM? WTF, am I the only person who wants to be able to run Photoshop and Safari at the same time?

Moore's Law is about the number of transistors on a single piece of silicon doubling roughly every 18 months. It's not about the speed of a specific model in a specific manufacturer's lineup.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preach on Brother Clunk!!!

zuzu wrote:

I visited the website that you linked to, and it appears to be infested with miserable geeks who are suicidal about how their low-end, budget priced computer doesn't have the processing capacity of an XGrid farm or the storage capacity of Hotmail. Why don't they go and buy Mac Pros and stop whining?
zuzu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Preach on Brother Clunk!!!

hehe, yes, that point was also made in the comments of his weblog post. but I also understood how Moore's Law (or the accelerating rate of returns, if you like) was being invoked loosely as a more general heuristic; suggesting that if Apple's specific product line (which is still general computing) isn't keeping up, something is "artificially" causing "drag" (either intentional or not).

JohnnyBoy wrote:
zuzu wrote:

I visited the website that you linked to, and it appears to be infested with miserable geeks who are suicidal about how their low-end, budget priced computer doesn't have the processing capacity of an XGrid farm or the storage capacity of Hotmail. Why don't they go and buy Mac Pros and stop whining?

which is why I used the qualifier "for what it's worth".
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuzu wrote:
which is why I used the qualifier "for what it's worth".

Fair enough, Zuzu, fair enough... Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: