123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Intros iPod touch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Not quite Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
For my needs the software that comes with the iPod Touch will likely do. Simple things like phone numbers, calendar, to do's etc.

They would basically do for me, but I wonder if Apple will "account" for the iPod touch the same way they do with the iPhone and Apple TV? There are no guarantees that new features will be added to this generation.

I'm actually thinking about buying an iPhone now. I think the Google map feature would be handy for me to have. Plus, I'm already on AT&T. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devo if you are already on AT&T...what are you waiting for!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Not quite Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
For my needs the software that comes with the iPod Touch will likely do. Simple things like phone numbers, calendar, to do's etc.

They would basically do for me, but I wonder if Apple will "account" for the iPod touch the same way they do with the iPhone and Apple TV? There are no guarantees that new features will be added to this generation.

I'm actually thinking about buying an iPhone now. I think the Google map feature would be handy for me to have. Plus, I'm already on AT&T. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

I for sure would go with the iPhone then. Let's face it both 8 and 16GB are not enough for a heavy content user. You're better off with a 8GB iPhone and a 160GB iPod Classic. Or an iPhone and a Macbook, but for a techno-geek to run their entire life on 8-16GB today that's crazy.

I was trying to convince myself a little earlier that I use my computer enough, that I don't mind syncing all the time, but that's a pain. I already hate syncing my 40 GB iPod after it hasn't been updated for a while.

I for one would have no issue with the iPod touch being large enough to accommodate a 160GB hard drive. Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining about the new models. It's just sometimes tough to figure out which products will best suit "YOUR" lifestyle.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:

For my wife's permission. Laughing Sad Laughing

Honestly, I'm not thrilled about being an AT&T customer. My DSL, phone and wireless services leave a lot to be desired. I'm going to sleep on it.

Bandit Bill wrote:
I was trying to convince myself a little earlier that I use my computer enough, that I don't mind syncing all the time, but that's a pain. I already hate syncing my 40 GB iPod after it hasn't been updated for a while.

I hear you. I really wish these iPod touch and iPhone models had more capacity. It would also be cool if they offered wireless syncing like the Apple TV. I really thought Apple would be first to take that wide. It seems like all the tools are in place. They sure have no problem with selling you stuff over wireless connection.
caulktel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this Touch going to have email capabilities? Someday?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I really thought Apple would be first to take that wide. It seems like all the tools are in place. They sure have no problem with selling you stuff over wireless connection.

So does this go to say that wireless syncing is not in place? Surely there will be a hack for this one. It would be nice to leave the iPod in the car and sync it, when you get the car home.

I know this is sounding lazy, buy hey people are lazy and lots of cars are selling iPod connectivity as a feature.

This would also be a nice feature for companies with route drivers. The employees vehicle just needs to enter the wireless network and dispatch can then sync all the necessary info with maps (iPhone) etc.

about the wireless sales part Smile
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caulktel wrote:

I'm surprised it didn't have a mail application. I guess you're going to be limited to web-based mail with the iPod Touch.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquaman wrote:
caulktel wrote:

I'm surprised it didn't have a mail application. I guess you're going to be limited to web-based mail with the iPod Touch.

Maybe we'll all get Starbucks mail accounts. Your till receipt will have a code you can use to check your email. You'll have to buy a pastry if you want to send email Smile

I was thinking that it would be pretty cool to get full free wifi access for a limited time if you buy a product though. Seems reasonable to me and it might keep people from sitting there for hours with one coffee.
DCGuy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The starbucks thing is rather funny.

Nice stereotype. Got an Ipod? You must be a coffee drinker too!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the wifi currently work at Starbucks? How do you get on the network etc? Is it free?

The Starbucks I have visited are not yet equipped with wifi. Remember I'm from Canada. Most of us drink Tim Hortons coffee Smile
DCGuy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember they had Tmobile hot spots.

I usually spend 2-3 minutes in store anyways, so never paid attention.

I dont understand the whole Wifi fascination.

WIFI will be usefull when it will be free and everywhere. Like a cell phone signal.
splen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCGuy wrote:
The starbucks thing is rather funny.

Nice stereotype. Got an Ipod? You must be a coffee drinker too!

Rolling Eyes Too true!
What I find interesting about it is that if it is a success, other companies will be wanting a piece too.

To be honest though, I have never experienced any music in starbucks that I would actually buy, but from asking around on the web I have kinda got the impression that a british starbucks is a different beast from an american one!
zuzu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Not quite Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
devo wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

I for sure would go with the iPhone then. Let's face it both 8 and 16GB are not enough for a heavy content user. You're better off with a 8GB iPhone and a 160GB iPod Classic. Or an iPhone and a Macbook, but for a techno-geek to run their entire life on 8-16GB today that's crazy.

I for one would have no issue with the iPod touch being large enough to accommodate a 160GB hard drive. Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining about the new models. It's just sometimes tough to figure out which products will best suit "YOUR" lifestyle.

I think this will depend on how ubiquitous 802.11b/g is in the places you spend most of your time. 16GB is fine once you "jailbreak" the iPod OSX, install Terminal, and then install software to cache/sync over wireless. 16GB is more like "local swap space" than "long-term storage" once your device can network to the Internet.

No Bluetooth and no Mail.app on the iPod Touch sucks though. I imagine someone will explain how to copy Mail.app from an iPhone to the iPod. but the sorry state of Bluetooth (it can do more than headphones, really!!! where are the PAN services?! where are the scatternets?) continues to disappoint.

devo wrote:
TonyMontana wrote:

For my wife's permission. Laughing Sad Laughing

Honestly, I'm not thrilled about being an AT&T customer. My DSL, phone and wireless services leave a lot to be desired. I'm going to sleep on it.

not to mention the spying!

I would like ZRTP strong encryption for voice added as an iPhone feature.

DCGuy wrote:
I remember they had Tmobile hot spots.

Starbucks snatches defeat from the jaws of victory on this one. Who the hell pays for wireless internet at a coffee shop?

DCGuy wrote:
I dont understand the whole Wifi fascination.

WIFI will be usefull when it will be free and everywhere. Like a cell phone signal.

If you live in a city or densely populated town this is already true. It'd be more true if the corporate-sponsored counter-culture of "securing" wireless access points hadn't trounced minds of "AOLers" before communities such as Free Networks and NoCat could popularly explain that you can both allow anyone to use your wireless access point and keep your computers secure on that same network (and provide basic QoS so that free-riders don't interfere with your "heavy" downloading).

(I also find the trademark of "WiFi" rather ridiculous. "Wireless Fidelity", yeah, riiiiiiiight.)
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

way too small. its a reall bummer i was hoping for at least 30 gbs.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Not quite Reply with quote

zuzu wrote:
I think this will depend on how ubiquitous 802.11b/g is in the places you spend most of your time.

True, 16GB would be lots if you could "always" be connected. Myself I use my iPod on the road (highway) and the bush (oilfield) of Northern Canada. 99% of it's use would be in areas without any form of wifi.

So in my case, my content needs to be stored locally.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: