123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any hacks to stream content from a network fileshare?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaidomac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Any hacks to stream content from a network fileshare? Reply with quote

Are there any hacks that will let you stream multimedia from a network fileshare like a Samba server?
aj

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the files are stored on the samba server but referenced in your iTunes library (i.e. iTunes does not copy them to library when they're imported (setting)) I would imagine you will be able to stream the media just like anything else in your iTunes library.

It would require your Mac with your iTunes library to be on though.
kaidomac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj wrote:
If the files are stored on the samba server but referenced in your iTunes library (i.e. iTunes does not copy them to library when they're imported (setting)) I would imagine you will be able to stream the media just like anything else in your iTunes library.

It would require your Mac with your iTunes library to be on though.

Yeah, that's the thing - I like to store ALL my movies digitally but I also have a laptop that isn't at home much of the time. The paltry 160gb hard drive in the AppleTV isn't nearly enough to sync all my movies, so the best option would be to stream.
tji

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're doing Samba, but not iTunes, I assume they are not on a Mac. Maybe on a Linux box.

That's what I do.. store my huge music library on my Linux server. It's a cheap ugly box, with loads of disk, locked away in the basement where it doesn't have to be seen or heard.

I use the "Firefly Media Server" (formerly mt-daapd), which looks on the network as if it's an iTunes share. It shows up as another iTunes host within iTunes, and presumably would also be seen by AppleTV.

I only do music with mine, but I have seen comments from other users on streaming video with it too.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about just mounting the shared drive on your Mac and going from there?
blp5k

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Any hacks to stream content from a network fileshare? Reply with quote

kaidomac wrote:
Are there any hacks that will let you stream multimedia from a network fileshare like a Samba server?

you can install sharity light and NitoTV and stream on the atv from a smb share.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: