123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB Flash Drives
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have/use a USB flash drive?
I have and use.
76%
 76%  [ 39 ]
I have, don't use though.
19%
 19%  [ 10 ]
Don't have.
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Don't need.
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 51

dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: USB Flash Drives Reply with quote

I was thinking about this from a topic on here then I was on Newegg and see so many stupid reviews about USB flash drive speeds, people don't realize that USB flash drives are much slower than any HDD since flash suffers slow speeds since flash just isn't fast if you want it cheap, also this guy didn't realize that FW is faster so that gives you some idea.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a thumb drive for work. I never considered the speed of them. I know they're not that quick, but it's never been a factor to me. I just remember the days of floppies and I am thankful that thumb drives are so much quicker.

Where I am concerned about the speed of flash memory is the SD cards for my camera. 133X is what I use. There are faster cards out now but my Nikon D50 won't write any faster.

Last edited by Bandit Bill on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two flash drives, but they hardly get use. All I have on them is a couple dozen word documents, and DOOM Collectors Edition. Sweet game...
aj

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have and use a both a USB flash drive and a USB 2.5 inch portable hard drive for exchanging data between systems.

I have to say personally I find the overiding factor which makes me use a USB flash drive is the size of it.

You can carry it with you anywhere. The same can't be said of a portable hard drive unless you don't mind having it in a pocket (and even 2.5 inch drives are a bit large to comfortably do that) or are willing to carry/wear something to contain it...

As others have said, all methods these days are much faster than the floppy/tape drives we used to use for exchanging data.

Whether a 300MB video file I downloaded at work takes 2 seconds or 30 seconds to transfer from my memory stick to computer I'm not too concerned about.
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have 2 usb thumb drives and usually put some Windows utility programs and store files on them for when someone has a virus or something wrong with their computer.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several of these and use them daily.

1 has all my uni files on,
1 has a backup of all my personal files on
1 has work related stuff on, mainly for transferring between my work PC (corporate network) and my non networked machines

I also use several of these for backing up control systems at work, and keeping emergency backups on.

I'd be lost without mine.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I backup my important documents with a 2GB thumb drive and Mozy every week. I also carry around a bootable 512MB thumb drive for flashing BIOS's at work.
iLife's a Bitch!
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just replaced a USB Zip drive (complete with leads and a transformer) and a stack of Zip disks with a storage device that's the size of a packet of chewing gum. I think that's just incredible.
robinscruffy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 USB flash drives but i don't really use them, i use a RAW HDD (incased in K'Nex) instead, does the job pretty well but it's sluggish when running a iMovie project off it.
- iPod Touch 8GB

Visit www.thebigapples.net Very Happy Podcasts, Videos & more Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two 2GB Sony MicroVault Plus drives. I mostly use them for backing up financial stuff, pictures and other super duper secret files. They are stored in our home fire safe.

dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: My 4GB Reply with quote

I have a 256MB running portable apps, a 1GB for screwing around, and a 4GB that I use for backing up my files and it has a full backup of my PSP files from a 2GB card. I might consider getting a 16GB one next year if they get cheaper (around $50-$70 like my 4GB) I'll get one since my 256MB and 1GB are showing signs that I had on a 128MB that didn't take formatting and showed as full.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use them only to transfer files from home. My daughter uses hers to bring her writings to school. Mainly Word files. I use an old iPod mini that has problems playing, but HD is still good.
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: lol Reply with quote

Well my 256MB died actually about 2 hours after posting, I was messing around with a portable app and it was slow and wouldn't remove hardware or respond so I unplugged it and it bricked on me anyway my 1GB is now running portable apps and nothing else. My 1GB is faster and has been more reliable than my 256MB was, for some reason any Lexar I use gets an issue with just stopping and bricking on me. My 1GB and 4GB are both SanDisk and have yet to give me issues once.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: lol Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
...my 1GB is now running portable apps and nothing else.

Dungeon, forgive my ignorance, but I'm really curious about these 'portable apps'. Are they just regular utilities that are written in Java so that they can run on any hardware?
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: lol Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
dungeon92 wrote:
...my 1GB is now running portable apps and nothing else.

Dungeon, forgive my ignorance, but I'm really curious about these 'portable apps'. Are they just regular utilities that are written in Java so that they can run on any hardware?

I don't think so, they are Windows only but all file for the app are kept on the flash drive to keep them off the system (the idea behind it) this is similar to U3 and U3 actually uses apps from Portable Apps for open source apps.
This explains the development if it helps you any: http://portableapps.com/development

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: