123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rumor: next-gen Mac mini in January?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Could there be a next-gen mac mini at Macworld?
yepp, definitely. it's about time, my purse is bursting
25%
 25%  [ 4 ]
no way. somebody has wet dreams again
56%
 56%  [ 9 ]
please don't, i just bought a new one
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 16

devilhunter84

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Rumor: next-gen Mac mini in January? Reply with quote

well, you know how it is with rumors: take 'em with a grain of Salt and especially if they come from macosrumors Very Happy

in their newest mac-fiction anecdote it looks like this:
"... that prototypes of a next-generation Mac Mini (due in about 3-5 months, a possible Macworld SF announcement in January)..."

i just bought mine (C2D 2GHz), and i must say, if i compare it with the old 1.5 GHz PPC mini, it's a speed demon. This little guy actually gets more points in Xbench than my Dual G5 2 GHz. (well in CPU performance anyway)
but as most people already noticed, the age-old GMA950 is the main bottleneck besides the notebook hard drive.

So what could we (or Apple in this case) do about the technology cramped in one of the most smallest Computer Cases?
My bet would look like this:
-a new exterior design
yes my friends, goodbye white/silver and hello black/silver; and the design could be smaller in height but longer-> look at iPhone/iMac (dont get me wrong, i love it how it is:) )
- Core 2 Duo 2GHz - 2.4 GHz Santa Rosa
- Intel VIIV certified (hey VIIV's long dead, but Intel pushes it anyway)
- GMA X3100/3001 or a ATI /NVIDIA onboard chip
GMA X3100 is good and all, but frame-rates continue to be bad even with new drivers from Intel, i think a Geforce Go does a better job here
(see this link about the GMAX http://www.hardmac.com/news/2007-08-21/#7091 )
- up to 4 GB memory
- slightly more GBytes in hard drive space
- other stuff stays the same...

then again, this is the low-end mac from Apple, and it could eat into the iMac sales if this thing had a little more power under its shell; and since this rumor comes from macosrumors, they may be 1 year off like most of their announcements (or worse, think "Gamer's Dream iMac/mac mini" Laughing )

so what do you think, is this update (Core 2 Duo) a minor refresh like the "stealth" 1.5 GHz PPC mini? could we see a new mini on the Macworld?
(edit: yes there are already topics similar to this one, but i could not find a poll)

Last edited by devilhunter84 on Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: hey Reply with quote

Santa Rosa isn't 2.33GHz it only comes in 1.4GHz, 1.6GHz, 1.8GHz, 2.0GHz, 2.2GHz, 2.4GHz. If you're going to speculate do it with proper specs.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but maybe DevilHunter is speculating about a new version of Santa Rosa.... Wink
robinscruffy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: hey Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
Santa Rosa isn't 2.33GHz it only comes in 1.4GHz, 1.6GHz, 1.8GHz, 2.0GHz, 2.2GHz, 2.4GHz. If you're going to speculate do it with proper specs.

Yeh, he's got a point. Besides we have to think realistically. Sure we could see Apple update the Mini sometime next year but it could be another modest update. Not to be mean towards the Mini but it's really the 'runt' of the Apple family, we kept wishing to see a proper GPU on it but it'll probably never happen.
- iPod Touch 8GB

Visit www.thebigapples.net Very Happy Podcasts, Videos & more Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
WillThePlank

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it was to have a new gpu id want an nvdia one because Im an nvida fanboy lol
250+500+120 gig hd's
7300GT
Used for my recording studio/video editing

Mac Mini
was 1.83 c2d stock now a 2.0 ghz
2 gig ram
200 gig 7200 rpm hd
dvd writer
the one that made my girlfriend say ''thats adorable''
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
devilhunter84

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: hey Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:

sorry, i guess i got confused there with all the speeds of the intel chips...
well then it is 2.4 GHz. Very Happy
well back in my days we had only one processor speed and we were greatful abut it Cool
(actually not true)
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't choose any of the above. Rumors only keep people from enjoying what is available today. They tend to get peoples hope up and often disappoint.

Today's Mac minis are great. Heck the G4 that I have been enjoying for the past 2 years is great.
DCGuy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just give me my cup of starbucks coffe and $100 credit!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: