123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Iomega Intros Home Network Hard Drives

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Iomega Intros Home Network Hard Drives Reply with quote

Iomega Intros Home Network Hard Drives
Monday, August 27, 2007
Posted by: Brian

Iomega Corporation today announced a new line of network hard drives. The Iomega Home Network Hard Drives are available in 320GB, 360GB and 500GB capacities. Each model features a 7200 RPM SATA-II hard drive with 8MB cache. The network capabilities of the drives are based on 10/100 Ethernet technology. They also include a USB 2.0 port for use with a single computer, making the Home Network Hard Drive an external hard drive for incremental storage. The 320GB and 500GB models are available now and priced at $149 and $199, respectively. The 360GB model will be available in late September for $149.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/737.html
robinscruffy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooo, interesting. Will it work with Time Machine? Looks like a nice solution for data backup with multiple Macs. I would like to see it come in bigger capacities and large caches. Something like 1TB with a 16MB cache would be perfect.
- iPod Touch 8GB

Visit www.thebigapples.net Very Happy Podcasts, Videos & more Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
zuzu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still vastly prefer Buffalo Technology's LinkStation Pro, which runs real Linux (thus can be modified to do anything within computational reason and has a large hacker community around the LinkStation/TeraStation/KuroBox) as well as providing gigabit ethernet (and two USB 2.0 ports). $180 for 320GB.

I too am waiting to see what the Network support of Time Machine will be.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Iomega is sharp looking, but I really like the Netgear Storage Central Turbo SC101T. The only problem, no Mac support. Come on Netgear! Mad
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

360GB? That is an odd size drive.
sbeker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the Synology ones which I'm able to find over here in France. They also have a vast hacker community and you can make them run almost everything you need. I'm waiting for my D106J 500G (300 euros), with 3 USB ports to expand capacity (why don't they make it Firewire by the way). I'm planning to get it to do ITunes Server and a P2P client (Bitorrent or amule).

Has anyone tried that one already?

S.
sbeker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I correct!!!

I just found a dealer on Buffalo Technologies. They're cheaper than the Synology ones so I might give them a try. Plus I've visited the wiki and I must reckon that the community seems more active than the synology one Wink

Could you please tell me everything about htis NAS? what are you specifically doing with it and if you have already extended the capacity thorugh the USB ports (performances, etc).

Thank you in advance!!

Sergio.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the 320GB and 360GB drives are the same price? Confused
iLife's a Bitch!
zuzu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbeker wrote:
I correct!!!

I just found a dealer on Buffalo Technologies. They're cheaper than the Synology ones so I might give them a try. Plus I've visited the wiki and I must reckon that the community seems more active than the synology one Wink

Could you please tell me everything about htis NAS? what are you specifically doing with it and if you have already extended the capacity thorugh the USB ports (performances, etc).

Thank you in advance!!

Sergio.

I have 3 KuroBox and 2 LinkStation Pro.

1 Linkstation Pro running GenLink dedicated to running I2P (P2P anonymizer).

1 Linkstation Pro running GenLink dedicated to running YaCy (P2P search engine).

1 KuroBox running Gentoo (2.6 Linux Kernel) as an IMAP server for my email (because Apple Mail.app stopped running because of the quantity of email I keep, about 10 years worth).

1 KuroBox running Gentoo (2.6 Linux Kernel) for SANEd so that my USB duplex scanner acts as a network scanner. (complimenting my Bonjour/mDNS compatible network color laser printer.)

1 KuroBox that I was using as a netatalk (AFP) and mt-daapd server to organize and share my MP3 collection (ala iTunes), but my collection has long since outgrown the drive inside it. now I'm in the process of installing wmii and erlang on it instead.

I'm also a fan of dd-wrt wireless routers.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!
Thanks for the detail.
Well, I'm just starting with NAS. My first target will be:
- sharing my media library (MP3 through ITunes Server and DiVX/H.264 via UpNP/DNLA, maybe both trhough UPnP/DNAL since I have some appliances already).
- P2P downloads: the synology NAS run bittorrent clients, and I've seen so far how to install a web-based GUI (amule like).

I was just thinking if only one NAS can hold the load for all that toghether, but the answer seems to be: better get separate NAS. I'll take a look at I2P and YaCy, seems pretty interesting. Glad you use Gentoo...it improved the performance of Linux on my laptop by about 20%...

I might have some questions concerning those 2 apps when I start configuring the thing...

Thanks you!!

Sergio.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: