123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Computer hardware is still outpacing software. Have things really changed with software over the last few years? I don't see your typical Mac application requiring gangbuster specs. Beyond intense video editing software, the average Intel or PPC Mac with a decent amount of RAM will handle just about anything. And yes, that definitely includes email. Wink
DonMateo51

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmen65 wrote:
Computer hardware is still outpacing software. Have things really changed with software over the last few years? I don't see your typical Mac application requiring gangbuster specs. Beyond intense video editing software, the average Intel or PPC Mac with a decent amount of RAM will handle just about anything. And yes, that definitely includes email. Wink

If software constantly outpaced hardware, very few people would have a powerful enough machine to run it, resulting in poor sales.
iPod - 5th gen, 30GB, black
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest mistake many people make is not getting enough RAM. Manufacturers keep shipping computers with minimal amounts and lots of people don't want to spend money upgrading a brand new computer. When my G4 mini shipped it only came with 256MB of RAM it was pretty pathetic.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
When my G4 mini shipped it only came with 256MB of RAM it was pretty pathetic.

Indeed. Mine is running with 1GB (the maximum for the Mac mini G4) and I need to load quite a lot of applications before it starts to feel slow.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
When my G4 mini shipped it only came with 256MB of RAM it was pretty pathetic.

Indeed. Mine is running with 1GB (the maximum for the Mac mini G4) and I need to load quite a lot of applications before it starts to feel slow.

Me too, the 1GB has always been adequate for me. When I upgrade my machine it will have to have 2GB minimum. I tried downloading Aperture yesterday it wouldn't install on my G4. It also calls for 2GB of RAM.

If I keep up with the photography, I'll likely have to consider something more powerful than a mini. I think an iMac may be more suited to me now. I'm not at the level of needing a Mac Pro.

Each time I start contemplating machines the non existent model between a mini and a Mac Pro always comes to mind Rolling Eyes
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, if you get rid of your mini the postings on this website will go down 25%! Smile
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Bill, if you get rid of your mini the postings on this website will go down 25%! Smile

3.19% to be exact. Laughing

I'd still post to this site of course. What makes this site appealing is the members. There is a good balance of knowledge, respect and fun.
zuzu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmen65 wrote:

I'd love to observe exactly what you people who don't feel constantly pressed against the ceiling of cutting-edge do with your computers. My old G4 1GHz gets the spinwheel just from running iChat. I need a C2D w/ 4GB of RAM just to multitask with a plausible gamut of productivity software: Camino, Apple Mail, Address Book, Aquamacs, Keynote, Photoshop, iTunes, VLC, iGTD, and Terminal.

Not to mention how most apps, slick they may be, choke on any sizable collection of data: ~200 tabs in my web browser as my "working memory"/workbench (plus years worth of browser history), about 20 IM windows with days worth of backscroll in each of them, enough email in my inbox to have the badge simply read "Lots", ~1000 contacts in my address book, and about a million MP3s in iTunes.

I can't begin to adequately describe how much that multi-year 2GB RAM ceiling was killing me, and I'd still do a handful of dirty deeds to get the current 4GB limit raised to 8 or 16GB in a laptop.

Real work for me means looking up lots of stuff on the web, coordinating with several colleagues via email and IM, and then writing up code, documents, and slide presentations which also require some basic photoshopping.

Oh, and it'd be nice to run R and iCal as well. and yes, I'd like to be able to listen to any song I have while I work.

I don't think I'm doing anything too crazy like video editing or transcoding, or ripping a DVD while watching HDTV and playing Second Life. Statistical analysis with R is probably as computationally intense as actual work gets.

So please elaborate for me how just to get "office work" done you're not gasping for more cores and more RAM.

(The MacMini is swell as a dedicated HTPC though. The C2D update would be nice to make those x264 transcodes go faster.)
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I multitask, but I never got used to keeping a lot of apps open at the same time. I keep open only what I am using at the moment.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuzu wrote:
I need a C2D w/ 4GB of RAM just to multitask with a plausible gamut of productivity software: Camino, Apple Mail, Address Book, Aquamacs, Keynote, Photoshop, iTunes, VLC, iGTD, and Terminal.

Yeah, and if you don't believe that, here's a video of Zuzu's desktop and dock with just 1 gig of Ram Wink : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pFRdx2VbGg
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
I multitask, but I never got used to keeping a lot of apps open at the same time. I keep open only what I am using at the moment.

Me too, I don't have a problem going through and closing a few apps once in a while, especially if I will be doing something intensive.

I also reboot once in a while.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm totally happy with the new 1.83GHz C2D mini guys. These little machines truly are incredible. This thing is even quieter than my old G4 mini. That's hard to believe. It also runs a ton faster! That isn't so hard to believe. It's a shame that Apple doesn't talk these minis up some more. They really have a nice system here.
iLife's a Bitch!
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read, that the new base mini is faster than the top of the line G5 of 2003! And THIS website said what that G5 was in those days. More power from $ 599 than $1999 just a few years ago in a way smaller package, what will be smallest Mac of 2010? Very Happy
Luna

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
zuzu wrote:
I need a C2D w/ 4GB of RAM just to multitask with a plausible gamut of productivity software: Camino, Apple Mail, Address Book, Aquamacs, Keynote, Photoshop, iTunes, VLC, iGTD, and Terminal.

Yeah, and if you don't believe that, here's a video of Zuzu's desktop and dock with just 1 gig of Ram Wink : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pFRdx2VbGg
Whoa, that video just gave me a lot of confidence in the new system I'll be getting. I wasn't sure whether I should double the RAM right away but I think I won't. I'll spend that money instead on getting a nice, new, widescreen monitor. Thanks for that! Very Happy
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luna wrote:
Whoa, that video just gave me a lot of confidence in the new system I'll be getting. I wasn't sure whether I should double the RAM right away but I think I won't. I'll spend that money instead on getting a nice, new, widescreen monitor. Thanks for that! Very Happy

It was just a bit of fun, but you're very welcome Luna. The video is so self-explanatory that the Spanish text doesn't prevent you from working out what's going on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: