123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stupid question about wireless
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Can't you turn the SSID off in the control panel? You can with my 54G router from Belkin.

Sure can, but the 802.11b card in my wifes laptop would no longer connect untill I turned ssid broadcasting back on at the router.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the wireless mode set to 54G-Auto?
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homerjatmoes wrote:
802.11b is perfectly fine if you are just using a home network to surf the net and ocasionally transfer files. I also used a 802.11b network untill recently. I was able to wirelessly stream iTunes to my stereo using an Airport Express with encryption without a hiccup.

The Airport Express is G. I think you'd notice loss of quality when you start to get to 250kbps and up, which a considerable amount of my collection is in (VBR and constant).

homerjatmoes wrote:
I just purchased a Belkin Pre-N and am replacing a mini pci card in my wifes laptop to make the network all 802.11g.

Why are you using Pre-N if are switching everyone to G?

homerjatmoes wrote:
The only drawback to using 802.11b is that WEP is the only encryption available and the don't seem to like it when the router does not broadcast the ssid.

You might be able to find a firmware update for your router; if you tell us, I could do some looking around. This would give you WPA. You should be able to turn off SSID broadcasting. It's a pretty basic option that even the cheapest of routers should provide. If you can't find a firmware update, that's one of the problems with B. Everybody is shifting to G or even skipping straight to (Pre)N, so support for B is waning, especially on the security side. G is dirt cheap, there's no reason for B. My G router cost $35 after rebates...
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
The Airport Express is G. I think you'd notice loss of quality when you start to get to 250kbps and up, which a considerable amount of my collection is in (VBR and constant).

I use 192 mostly and a few at 250 and it still worked fine. 11mbps is still fast enough, it really is. Not to mention Apple thought of this ahead of time:
Quote:
Playing uncompressed audio requires a fair amount of bandwidth, of course, and this is obviously a somewhat precious commodity when one is dealing with wireless networks: 802.11b and 802.11g offer 11Mbit/s and 54Mbit/s respectively. Uncompressed CD-quality audio requires 1411.2kbit/s (plus the actual protocol overhead to send the data across the network). So to prevent Airtunes from completely saturating your Airport Express' bandwidth, Apple employ a lossless compression technique to reduce the amount of data required to actually transmit the audio data to the base station. Presumably this is based on the same technology as the lossless encoding available in iTunes 4.5 (as reported in last month's Apple Notes), which halves the amount of bandwidth required. Apple claim to have encrypted the music transmission as well, to keep the record companies happy.
The rest from here
Susurrus wrote:
Why are you using Pre-N if are switching everyone to G?

I only converted one laptop to G because there are no mini PCI Pre-N cards and all my other wireless devices are G. I bought the Pre-N because of the coverage and true MIMO operation. I either had to buy two new G routers for coverage or the Belkin Pre-N. I chose the Belkin Pre-N after reading this review. The Belkin was just better than any other G MIMO offering. The reason behind the upgrade from B to G was that the Linksys B router I was using as an AP kept cutting out and I wanted better security.

Susurrus wrote:
You might be able to find a firmware update for your router; if you tell us, I could do some looking around. This would give you WPA. You should be able to turn off SSID broadcasting. It's a pretty basic option that even the cheapest of routers should provide. If you can't find a firmware update, that's one of the problems with B. Everybody is shifting to G or even skipping straight to (Pre)N, so support for B is waning, especially on the security side. G is dirt cheap, there's no reason for B. My G router cost $35 after rebates...
The problem with turning off ssid broadcasting was with my B card not the router. As soon as broadcasting was off the card would not connect. The card is now replaced and Broadcasting is off and all is good.

Yes B is not as secure, hence the fact I mentioned it in my original post., but to answer the original question you can most definatly use a USB 802.11b network adapter and be perfectly content with it. If it works on the mini and you did not have to purchase a new part all the better. There are also a bunch of USB 2.0 high speed 802.11g adapters out there and some that are OS X compatible.

Again 802.11b is fast enough for most networking needs, just not as secure as G. I am a professional and I do this at home.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jared52

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Netgear MA111 I got off eBay did not work with my eMac. I guess it was the newer version that doesn't have the prism chipset. Sad

Edit: I just realized that I didn't do some simple hacks to the driver file. I will try them tomorrow and report back.
jared52

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I got it working! I am using it right now, but since I just ordered the new Mac Mini I don't need it any more, LOL. If the OP or anyone is interested in it, I will sell it to them (I hope it's ok to do that here). I paid $20 for it.

Anyway, the instructions are here:

http://astro.temple.edu/~moshe/intersil/

(Note: You will have to change the ProductID and VendorID as suggested on that page. I'll be glad to send the buyer the .diff file I used.)

You just follow them to the letter and you'll have it up and running in no time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: