123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I watch my homemade videos or ripped DVD on Apple TV?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.187

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Ben_tex"]
Mr.187 wrote:
Just make sure your video is below 720 x 432. You should also change the extension from .mp4 to .m4v for chapters to show.

I'm ripping at 720*564 is that going to be a problem?
Still waiting for my Apple TV so I'm unable to find out.

Had: Core Duo Mac Mini, 30GB Video iPod,ATV and the Apple Hi-Fi.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.187 wrote:
I'm ripping at 720*564 is that going to be a problem?
Still waiting for my Apple TV so I'm unable to find out.

More than likely with MPEG-4.
randyharris

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Apple's own AppleTV webpage:

H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store): Up to 5 Mbps, Progressive Main Profile (CAVLC) with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 1280 by 720 pixels at 24 fps, 960 by 540 pixels at 30 fps) in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html
shorafix

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: ripping time AppleTV profile Reply with quote

Mr.187 wrote:
Ben_tex wrote:
Mr.187 wrote:
Do you use 2 pass encoding?

Cheers

Tim

Yep, every time. It really helps with the overall video quality and greatly reduces artifacts. Especially in action movies with fast moving scenes.

I'm just ripping a movie 2hrs 42mins long with 2 pass, AAC audio, 2500 bit rate (apple TV profile) and it's nearly taken 24hrs is this right?

Using the HB-AppleTV profile with Handbrake, a ripped Pal DVD of 2 hours should take about 3 - 4 hours on a G5 (2x2 GHz) and the same time or less on a Core Duo or Core2 Duo (*). In the average 12 -18 frames are transcoded per second. Both CPUs are working to capacity.

(*) On my MacMini (Core2 Duo 2 GHz upgrade) and 1 GB of RAM the same job is done in within 95 minutes at > 20 fps. Smile
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shorafix wrote:
(*) On my MacMini (Core2 Duo 2 GHz upgrade) and 1 GB of RAM the same job is done in within 95 minutes at > 20 fps. Smile

I was doing about the same with my Mac mini with 2GB of RAM, but HB 0.9 appears to be giving me a slight boost with the Apple TV setting. Don't hold me to this, but I think my average was in the mid 30's (fps) last night. This was with a "turbo" first pass on a 2-pass encode.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: