123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalez

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would give this update a B minus. I didn't expect a video upgrade, but the lack of 802.11N is really puzzling. I'm really just happy that Apple is keeping the Mac mini around. We have two of them in our house and love them to death. I might even buy another one after Leopard comes out and move this one to the den.

Russell wrote:
What is this "family pack" you speak of and where can it be procured?

I don't know if you are being sarcastic, but a "Family Pack" can be purchased from Apple and authorized dealers. It allows you to legally install OS X on five Macs.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Eldred wrote:
... Also, the 2.0 GHz CPU has twice the cache of the 1.83 GHz CPU.

Glad you noted that, Doug; I had forgotten that the 1.83 gb core 2 duo chip has only a 2 meg cache. That changes the equation for me; I'll be buying the high end despite not needing a DVD burner. Alternatively, if the old 1.66 is discounted enough, I would buy it and upgrade it with a 2.0 ghz core 2 duo chip.
Russell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No no no! No sarcasm. Seriously. I didn't know what it was. Sounded like when you go to buy those family pack DVDs with, like, several family films on one DVD. I really didn't know. Thanks for the answer, though. It was helpful. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
offa_broadway

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. I wasn't expecting graphics upgrades either, to be frank. Most people buy the Mini as an inexpensive little Mac terminal to stick in the kid's bedroom, or in the den without much space, etc etc. It's not aimed at being your only desktop, unless you're of the student type. That's what the iMac is for. Okay, 802.11n would have been nice for HTPC uses, but thats what the AppleTV is supposed to be aimed at.

(And it should be noted that you can install full OSX on your AppleTV, if you're really heartbroken about what the box can't do. That essentially makes it the cheapest Mac right there.)

Still, an awesome deal. Grab one with Leopard and iLife '08 on there. I'm waiting for Leopard to come out so I can go down and break the bank on software (Leopard, iLife, and iWork, in one fell swoop).

MacBook Core2Duo 2.0/1Gb Superdrive
MacMini CoreDuo 1.66/Superdrive - Sold
Logitech Z4-i Sound System
iPod Nano 1Gb, Black
dm3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

offa_broadway wrote:
Awesome. I wasn't expecting graphics upgrades either, to be frank. Most people buy the Mini as an inexpensive little Mac terminal to stick in the kid's bedroom, or in the den without much space, etc etc. It's not aimed at being your only desktop, unless you're of the student type. That's what the iMac is for. Okay, 802.11n would have been nice for HTPC uses, but thats what the AppleTV is supposed to be aimed at.

(And it should be noted that you can install full OSX on your AppleTV, if you're really heartbroken about what the box can't do. That essentially makes it the cheapest Mac right there.)

Still, an awesome deal. Grab one with Leopard and iLife '08 on there. I'm waiting for Leopard to come out so I can go down and break the bank on software (Leopard, iLife, and iWork, in one fell swoop).

The Apple TV is not intended to run full Mac OS X. Show me the configuration listing full Mac OS X? Folks complain about how weak the Mini is. I don't get that. The Apple TV is weak. Few people complain about the Macbook, its selling like hotcakes, yet thats essentially what a Mini has inside. Why is it worse in a Mini than a Macbook?

I want to use a Mini as a HTPC AND use it as a living room computer hooked up to my 42" HDTV. The Apple TV is too crippled. More and more video is bring broadcast over the internet, yet the Apple TV requires a special app for every website. A Mini can just browser wherever. I can watch ABC broadcast in HD over the internet on a Mini. Can't and won't be able to do that with an Apple TV at least for a good while.

Kids can also surf, play educational software or games on the Mini. Can't do that on an Apple TV.

My wish is that they made the Mini a little bigger so that it could hold a 3.5" drive and lower the cost so that it could hold more movies. Leaving out 802.11n seems like a bonehead move. They're just throwing in a chip/memory/drive upgrade to keep selling a few until they replace it with something, but they apparently haven't even decided what it will be.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

offa_broadway wrote:
It's not aimed at being your only desktop, unless you're of the student type.

What? I'm not a student, I'm an anti-AIO 30-something Mac user. To be honest, even the CD minis have enough where it counts. I really wish this stereotype of the mini only being good enough for email and surfing would stop. It sure handles everything that I throw at.
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people here run professional applications on their Mac mini's with no problems. This proves how powerful the Mac mini actually is.
Russell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are really exciting me now. I may have secured my funding after all. See my other post for details and updates. Just had to throw this in. I'm just so psyched about getting me a brand new Mac Mini and taking every app I can find and putting it through the ringer with the Mini. I know this isn't a Mac Pro we're talking about here but if it is as powerful as you all say it is, I'm gonna be in for a wild adventure!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to hear Russell!

By the way, nice renders! Surprised
Russell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ty! Smile I'll have to send you some more soon. Keep your eyes peeled. Smile Let me know what you think of the Pigeon Rights guy... the bald headed one... or did I send him already. Smile
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure you did, either way, I'll look at it again.
dan.hutch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wheelsee wrote:
DCGuy wrote:
so no cosmetic/design changes?

doesnt look like it Sad

Is that such a bad thing? The new iMac isn't all that great. I actually think the Mac mini is more exciting update in many ways, having had a significant internal hardware update, I think I may well upgrade my PPC mini now. The new bluetooth keyboard will be great for anyone using their Mac mini in a home theatre set up.
dan.hutch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skip wrote:
This is the Mini I've been waiting for....since February Rolling Eyes

Yay for the C2D, RAM, HD and price drop. There's no reason, however, that this couldn't have been done months ago. And no mention until someone asks..wtf?

The Mac mini is actually a more signifacent hardware upgrade than the iMac, which is primarily a cosmetic upgrade. Guess they didn't want the Mac mini taking any of the limelight from the iMac.
pmcd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

offa_broadway wrote:
Most people buy the Mini as an inexpensive little Mac terminal to stick in the kid's bedroom, or in the den without much space, etc etc. It's not aimed at being your only desktop, unless you're of the student type. That's what the iMac is for. Okay, 802.11n would have been nice for HTPC uses, but thats what the AppleTV is supposed to be aimed at.

Hmm...I'm not a student and use the Mini as my main system. I have 3 of them (one just bought today-the 1.83 new model). I also have a PC in an Ultra MicroFly "small" case which serves all the Minis via gigabit ethernet. 802.11n is still not a standard and in any case it's nowhere near as capable as wired solutions. Neater though. I just don't quite get the HTPC thing. My main Mini is hooked up to a HDTV and it plays videos, music, etc...just fine. The HDTV is also a fantastic monitor and I can't see myself ever going back to a traditional desktop (I've always used Mac's, NeXT's and iMac's and one laptop). I can see why one would want a MacBook () and even a Mac Pro. The iMac's are beautiful but there is that issue of the screen dongle. The one I tried today was extremely appealing though. While Apple may not think so, the Mini is exactly what is needed to morph into the changing TV era. The AppleTV is far too restrictive (I do think it's interesting though) and surely noone would think of it in HTPC terms...

The real issue I think is whether people want to record TV. The cable companies are now providing On Demand services so I think there will be less of the recording thing. In this sense the AppleTV has the right idea except I am not convinced people are ready to purchase downloaded movies. It's mainly a bandwidth issue that isn't going to be solved for some time. While that happens there's plenty of time to see how to converge the Mini and the AppleTV.

Frankly, the Mini is too me one of the finest systems I have ever used. The size is great. It's silent, etc...I used to have a Shuttle like PC (a QBic from Soltek) which is what PC users like for HTPC use. It was ok but it's a monster compared to the Mini. Quite frankly the Mini is a bargain. Noone else that I know of makes anything like it (there is a new attempt at tiny standardized motherboards and cases in the PC world but the HTPC seems to be set on either micro ATX or modified XBoxes.

How to fit the computer into the TV space is not clear. Noone has it right yet but the Mini is pretty darned close.

philip
castaway

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan.hutch wrote:
wheelsee wrote:
DCGuy wrote:
so no cosmetic/design changes?

doesnt look like it Sad

Is that such a bad thing?

I really like the styling and design of the Mac mini. I always have and always will. The anodized aluminum case with white top just says Apple to me. It's an elegant and simple design. I can't think of anything else that would make it look better. The technology on the inside has improved as well. I just wish that Apple would stop neglecting the Mac mini and embrace it. It's one of the best computers they have ever created.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: