123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Intros New iMac
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why, but it took me a while yesterday to realize that "iMac" isn't on the back anymore. Embarassed
iLife's a Bitch!
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, now that they have released the silver and black Oakland Raiders-edition iMac, when can we expect to see the other 31 team versions?? Laughing

I won't be buying anything new until spring/summer of next year. I keep flopping back and forth between a MacPro and something a bit more reasonably priced. If I DO go with an iMac, a second 24" display (likely a Dell) is a given.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I don't know why, but it took me a while yesterday to realize that "iMac" isn't on the back anymore. Embarassed

That's what I noticed too. I don't think it says "iMac" anywhere on the computer.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
So, now that they have released the silver and black Oakland Raiders-edition iMac, when can we expect to see the other 31 team versions?? Laughing

I was thinking that too!
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the new iMac's at the Apple Stores today? I want to go see one if they are available.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to laugh at this HP vs. iMac photo
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a funny picture, but I don't see any resemblance between the two.
Zalez

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I had to laugh at this HP vs. iMac photo

I've seen that HP at BestBuy before. It isn't nearly as sexy as the iMac, but I think that funny looking base lets you to move the display down to write on. It's actually a pretty neat computer if you can look past the Vista thing. Laughing
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, the black rim on the HP looks nicer than that of the iMac, at least it does in the picture.
Zalez

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
To me, the black rim on the HP looks nicer than that of the iMac, at least it does in the picture.

It was probably smart for Apple to use a little black. I think a black bezel/frame makes a screen pop more. It also helps with contrast. I will say, though, that it looks a little goofy on an iMac. By the way, does anyone know about the black Apple logo on the front ? Is it painted on, plastic, or glass?
offa_broadway

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe in miracles... where you from, you sexy thing? Cool

.. Ahem. Now that that's out of my system, wow is that thing ever gorgeous. The HP bears a striking resemblance, but I've seen it in person, and it's ugly. Apple would NEVER in their LIVES desecrate the front of such a beautiful machine with, of all things, RCA video/audio input ports. For some reason, HP thought this was a good idea.

My parents are looking into the whole Mac thing, so I think they're going to be getting the 20" iMac now, by the looks of it. I'm so jealous.

MacBook Core2Duo 2.0/1Gb Superdrive
MacMini CoreDuo 1.66/Superdrive - Sold
Logitech Z4-i Sound System
iPod Nano 1Gb, Black
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

offa_broadway wrote:
My parents are looking into the whole Mac thing, so I think they're going to be getting the 20" iMac now, by the looks of it. I'm so jealous.

Trade 'em your MacBook for it. Wink
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the black bezel around the outside of the iMac screen is good. I'd like to see the entire unit in black anodized aluminum.

I'd never buy a television with a white bezel.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I think this iMac looks indeed more "professional" than the old white ones, and the Jay Leno chin is not that obvious as was with the former iMac's. Still, it's an all in one machine and whatever Jobs thinks "this is an all-in-one world", I don't buy that for computers! One hears to often of displays going defect and when repair costs are to high, what than? One handy person (M/F) might take the whole thing apart, build the motherboard into a PC enclosure and connect a separate LCD screen, but the majority would not bother and throw the whole thing away. So, in this case, I would buy a separate computer and if one wants to get rid of a lot of the cables, go for wireless! The printer connected to your router, and extra NAS HD too. With an mini it still is difficult unless you start hiding the back and than, there is the ON-switch too! With a MacPro, it is easy, hide it under your desk.
Best should be to find a current Apple-Intel motherboard and build it in a normal PC case and build your own computer around it. One can swap the processor, PCI cards, make it silent with watercooling if you like.Rolling Eyes That PC case might not be looking nicely enough so hide it, with eventually an DVD-DL drive on your disk for playing/burning cd/dvd's. Put it under your ACD and one has a neat desktop!
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
Still, it's an all in one machine and whatever Jobs thinks "this is an all-in-one world", I don't buy that for computers!

Not for desktops anytime soon. I think Steve was just trying to spin it his way, because he knows that there is a movement brewing for more headless Macs. Plus, it was the iMac that really brought him back to prominence. What's he going to say? As for myself, I don't feel compelled to dip back into the all-in-one pond again. And to be honest, the new iMac should really be seen as a revision A product again. The Mac mini, on the other hand, has been tried and tested for a lot longer now. That's why I decided to buy another one.
iLife's a Bitch!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: