123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
severe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy with the update. This coming from a person that's been waiting patiently for an update to purchase my first mini. The ole G4 has gotten a bit long in the tooth. I actually used the money saved for the WWDC, in hopes for an mini update, on my iPhone.

However, I'm waiting until October to buy. I've been waiting since this year's first quarter, so I can wait a little longer for Leopard. I'm just relieved that I now know what I'm doing.

Long Live The Mac mini!

*Oh... and a big thanks to all of you here at 123. You've done a great job of educating me on the ins and outs of this little monster.

Last edited by severe on Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
skip

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the Mini I've been waiting for....since February Rolling Eyes

Yay for the C2D, RAM, HD and price drop. There's no reason, however, that this couldn't have been done months ago. And no mention until someone asks..wtf?

Bad moves: non-upgraded wireless...quite silly. Why a combo at the low end still? No upgraded graphics.

On the good side, a pattern has definitely formed. Wait for the MacBook update and the Mini will be updated a few months later with the same spec.

I hope the next MacBook has a real graphics card Wink
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really happy that Apple didn't do away with the Mac mini. They still don't show it much love though. I guess they're still worried about it cannibalizing the iMac at a lower profit margin. They also should have included wireless N in these new little C2D powered mosters. What's with that?
jehowe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy about the update, but must admit I was really hoping for a better GPU (although I don't know what choices they have), FireWire 800, and yes wireless N. I definitely would have sprung for one if it had those specs.

Ironically this modest update will save me money, as I can upgrade to the C2D on the mini I have now, and basically have the same machine (less iLife).
MiniMe Duo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the speed is noticeably faster with a 2.0Ghz C2D than my fairly new 1.83Ghz Core Duo. I bought mine late April and am very happy with it although I wished I could have waited to buy the new C2D version. Any thoughts on speed differences?
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MiniMe Duo wrote:
Any thoughts on speed differences?

The Apple website says that the C2D Mini is "up to 33% faster than the previous model". But when you read the small print, it looks like the comparison is between a 1.83GHz Core Duo and a 2.0GHz C2D. So how much of the speed bump is due to the clock and how much is due to the chip architecture? And how impressed should we be by the carefully worded "up to 33%"?
BAD AIM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're looking at a new 2.0GHz mini owner. It's going to replace an old crusty looking G3 iMac. I've literally been waiting since Macworld to buy one. It would've been so stupid for Apple to stop making them. I don't want to hate, but the new iMac appeals less to me now than the one it replaced. Now all I need is some Cinema display goodness to go along with my new mini. Hopefully they will have built-in iSight cameras by the time I'm ready to buy.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: supposedly Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
MiniMe Duo wrote:
Any thoughts on speed differences?

The Apple website says that the C2D Mini is "up to 33% faster than the previous model". But when you read the small print, it looks like the comparison is between a 1.83GHz Core Duo and a 2.0GHz C2D. So how much of the speed bump is due to the clock and how much is due to the chip architecture? And how impressed should we be by the carefully worded "up to 33%"?

I think that the difference between CD and C2D is 25% speed increase.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally!
Crazibri

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how much L2 Cache the 2 Ghz C2D has on it... hopefully 4MB. Its no wonder Newegg is out of these chips.

Anyway, I find it very odd that they call it "Airport Extreme" but yet its 54g 802.11g. I thought Extreme was attributed to 802.11n. Makes me think they're still trying to "squish" that N Wireless into the Mini so they'll secretly push it out like they did w/ their Powerbooks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819111302
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The name "Airport Extreme" was debuted when 802.11g came out. They kept the moniker for 802.11n.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaMini wrote:
Ugh, the Mini just can't get no love from Mr. Steve. No mention at all of the Mini until someone asks about it. And then its just 'oh yea, were updating that today. Next question!'. Almost like a stepchild! Sad
But, I guess a minor update is better than nothing. Its still alive! Laughing

Given the upgrades, I think that was a smooth move. Keeps him from having to answer follow up questions like "why no Santa Rosa?", "Same GMA950, why?", etc.

Oh, and it is nice to know that my 1st gen Intel Core Solo mini sitting back home is STILL a newegg-order away from being the latest/greatest!! Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares about pub? It sells itself! Wink
KonaJoe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!

So now the question is: Will Apple allow it's authorized service vendors to upgrade our existing CPU's to C2D?

Not holding my breath on that Wink
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KonaJoe wrote:
So now the question is: Will Apple allow it's authorized service vendors to upgrade our existing CPU's to C2D?

They've never allowed it, for any model.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: