123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VMWare Releases Fusion for Mac

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: VMWare Releases Fusion for Mac Reply with quote

VMWare Releases Fusion for Mac
Monday, August 6, 2007
Posted by: Glenn

VMware today announced availability of the final 1.0 version of VMware Fusion. Based on the company's desktop virtualization platform, VMware Fusion allows Mac users to simultaneously run Mac OS X, Windows and other PC-based applications on a single Mac. The software allows Mac users to take advantage of their hardware's full potential by running both 32- and 64-bit operating systems, leveraging two processor cores at the same time and using a wide variety of USB 2.0 devices. VMware Fusion is also the only Mac virtualization software available today to provide full support for more than 60 operating systems and complete power management capabilities to safeguard virtual machines when laptops are running out of battery. VMware Fusion has a suggested retail price of $79.99.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/708.html
johnodd4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok it looks like they ripped off

parallels it looks exactly the same.
raekwon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnodd4 wrote:
Ok it looks like they ripped off

parallels it looks exactly the same.

Hardly. Fusion is a Cocoa app. It actually looks like it was built for the Mac instead of just thrown together. Also, VMWare has been in the virtualization game long before Parallels even existed.

Of course, there are some similarities, but how different do you want two virtualization apps to look? It's a window that contains the guest OS' desktop and some controls to fine-tune the application.

<-- Fusion and Parallels owner
sbeker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote] <-- Fusion and Parallels owner[/quote]

...and which one do you recommend?
rando1968

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: VMWare Releases Fusion for Mac Reply with quote

I think Leopard will make all these programs obsolete.

Randy
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: VMWare Releases Fusion for Mac Reply with quote

rando1968 wrote:
I think Leopard will make all these programs obsolete.

Randy

I kindly disagree. Leopard will only include Boot Camp. I think there are more of us that want virtualization.

By the way guys, check this out. Fusion is smoking. Cool

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9760910-1.html
iLife's a Bitch!
altoid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kind of stuff makes me very happy.

I'd love to eventually be able to use my future Mac mini as a media center with just OsX running, but also run a tiny Linux server in a VM when needed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: VMWare Releases Fusion for Mac Reply with quote

I guess it all depends on your uses, I edit. I cant even think of running anything other than Boot Camp. I tried the new parrelles 3.0 and it ran so bad. It also slowed down my performance. Id love to be able to switch without restarting but its gotta run well. I can see using it for Word and excell but not editing. The weird part is if you guys remeber when Steve Jobbs made the big Leopard announcment I checked Apples website and was reading the section on Boot Camp. There was a part that suggested that the new Leopard boot camp would run more like Parrelles (log on log off) within an hour or 2 the page was changed and that paragraph was taken out.mmm... its a conspiriacy.

Randy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: