123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OSX86 Hackintosh vs Mac Pro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

OSX86 Hackintosh
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
Mac Pro
54%
 54%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 11

aprilfools1993

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: OSX86 Hackintosh vs Mac Pro Reply with quote

What do you all think of this video (not my video btw LoL)? Keep in mind before voting, that you can do this on many different hardware setups besides the one shown in the video, even AMD (altho with lots of editing and hacking).

My experience (post 251) is that AMD works, but the hardware requires quite a bit of patching (terminal) and having all Intel parts works near perfect (even with the cheap setup I had. I don't have these setups anymore, after replacing my G4 1.25 mini with an upgraded Core 2 Duo 2.0 mini, and the fact that it isn't technically legal...)

What would you do? Build your own system and put OSX86 on it? Or go for the Mac Pro?

(Don't say Mac mini, cuz, duh, thats a given... and also not one of the choices for voting)

Last edited by aprilfools1993 on Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
heavy_nutz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want a mac pro but I have also done the osx86. I dont know its a personal preference so its really only up to you
Top 25 Poster
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: OSX86 Hackintosh vs Mac Pro Reply with quote

aprilfools1993 wrote:

What do you all think of this video?

Could you please fix the link?
aprilfools1993

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoops, my bad, fixed now...
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: RAM Reply with quote

I wonder what's the best RAM that is supported by the Mac Pro? I would love to see what putting some 1333MHz DDR3 into one of those could get for performance if it's supported.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
robinscruffy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as i love the Mac Pro, i'll have to go for the OSX86 Hackintosh. Because lets face it we're not made of money, so the OSX86 Hackintosh seems like a nice alternative that's cheap and you can customize or mod it.

Though if i was going to do anything like this i have no idea if i could program it to work with OS X. And is it upgradable to Leopard?

But so tempting to do, because i think my Dad needs a new Mac to replace the iMac G4 and this OSX86 Hackintosh sounds like a go idea.
- iPod Touch 8GB

Visit www.thebigapples.net Very Happy Podcasts, Videos & more Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
aprilfools1993

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what were my two setups.

One was an AMD 3800 X2 2.0 (showed as 3.7 GHz, something to do with only one core being able to work.)

And the other one was the original "Pinkintosh." I used a 478 chip on a 423 board with this. Was trying to find the cheapest parts I could, just to test the system
D444niel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very tempting and you can get the components even cheaper now. In fact for the same sort of money, you could go for the 3.4ghz D chip.

Too much spec to add here ....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: