123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini Update Soon?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
I don't think trackballs are too good for your thumb etc. I'm not sure if there have been reported injuries. But it's just a thought. I know some swear by them.

Considering I've used almost the exact same model every day since the Logitech Trackman Marble came out over 10 years ago and have never had a problem...

I was using a trackball at work until I just couldn't stand it any longer. The ball kept getting oily and would slip and wasn't very accurate. It was a nice Microsoft optical one too. My thumb would also hurt at the end of the day while I used it. Just to keep in mind.

I really think that every computer should come with built-in wireless. It's so useful and ubiquitous.

The only thing I'm really hoping they do in this upgrade is go to a Radeon 9600, though a Mobility X300 would be even better!
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
idave

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsnoel wrote:
I spoke with the Apple Dealer who's Mac Mini Sale letter I posted earlier this week. He was somewhat tight lipped about what he knows, more like reluctant to say anything. I don't blame him, he does not want to bite the hand that feeds and if I were him I would not either. He did indicate that Apple told all the dealers to keep exact inventory on iBooks and Mini's for a possible pricing change and that is about all I could pry out of him no matter how hard I pressed. I'm guessing he means Apple gives a credit or adjustment on unsold inventory when a new model comes out.

I'm surprised you got that much out of him. You must be a good customer!
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
I was using a trackball at work until I just couldn't stand it any longer. The ball kept getting oily and would slip and wasn't very accurate. It was a nice Microsoft optical one too. My thumb would also hurt at the end of the day while I used it. Just to keep in mind.

Hmmm... Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
Susurrus wrote:

Hmmm... Smile

I worked at CompuSmart (Canada largest computer retailer) for 5 years. I probably saw 1/2 dozen customers with scars from Carpal Tunnel.

To stay on topic, I'll have to add. It's nice that the mini does not come with a keyboard or mouse. Giving people with sore wrists and thumbs their choice of pointing device.

I'm voting for no change to the mini, just a new superdrive model with maybe 512 RAM in all models (if we all behave).
casiop

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see Apple add a few more ports and audio in. Does anyone think Apple will lower the price to $399-$450 for the entry level Mac mini? I can't wait to see what happens!
bsnoel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

idave wrote:
bsnoel wrote:
I spoke with the Apple Dealer who's Mac Mini Sale letter I posted earlier this week. He was somewhat tight lipped about what he knows, more like reluctant to say anything. I don't blame him, he does not want to bite the hand that feeds and if I were him I would not either. He did indicate that Apple told all the dealers to keep exact inventory on iBooks and Mini's for a possible pricing change and that is about all I could pry out of him no matter how hard I pressed. I'm guessing he means Apple gives a credit or adjustment on unsold inventory when a new model comes out.

I'm surprised you got that much out of him. You must be a good customer!

I should say that I'm guessing he means Apple gives a credit or adjustment on unsold inventory when a new model comes out OR THE PRICE CHANGES. I may be guilty of reading too much into what he said.

I don't want to blow this out of proportion. I really don't know if he knew anything about a new model or not. He may have not been talking, because he did not know himself, and truly had nothing to talk about. He just would not talk about it at all. Heck for all I know, he may have just said something that he thought I wanted to hear just to get me off his back. After-all, we Mac geeks can be an annoying lot.

I guess we just have to wait and see what happens. In the mean time, Think Secret still has the most compelling information, by a long margin.
ranum

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I'll add some fuel to the fire:

I ordered (and paid for) the low-end Mac Mini almost two weeks ago from the Apple Store. They hadn't emailed me about the status of my order for over a week, and then I read the news about the possible announcement of a revision in the Mac Mini line. I called to check on the status of my order and to see where in the process it was (whether it had been shipped yet, etc.). I also wanted to try and suspend the order until after next week (in the event of the next revision actually being released).

The sweet - and maybe naive - operator who helped me said that she couldn't confirm the news I had read, but then talked about my order and matter-of-factly said something along the lines of: if I haven't received an email yet about the status of my order (which I still haven't as of today) it is likely that I would get the newer version and that I didn't have to worry. She also said that if I had paid too much money that Apple would (of course) refund whatever I had overpaid.

So, FWIW, I am inclined to think that the Mac Mini news is accurate and have regarded it as such since I read it over at Think Secret and talked to the Apple Store operator.

(This message is also posted in another thread under the Mac Mini section)
snowy2005

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
mavherzog wrote:
If there is any video chipset update within the next month...I'll eat my hat!!

What makes you say that? Apple knows they have to make the Mac mini Core Image capable. They have to do the same with the iBook.

My predictions:
1.42GHz PowerPC G4
512MB DDR333 SDRAM
60GB Ultra ATA Drive
Combo Drive
NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 (64MB DDR)
$499.00

1.50GHz PowerPC G4
512MB DDR333 SDRAM
80GB Ultra ATA Drive
Combo Drive
$599.00

1.50GHz PowerPC G4
512MB DDR333 SDRAM
80GB Ultra ATA Drive
Super Drive
Airport Extreme/Bluetooth built-in
$699.00

Aren't they the only macs who can't do Core Image? If so, the update is most probably for that, wich is great. I'll have one of the few Minis who can ripple in Dashboard. Very Happy (I'm getting a Mini real soon)
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iBook and Mac mini are the only Macs that don't support Core Image.
pmdubey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:55 am    Post subject: Mac mini Panther Reply with quote

I too got a good deal on Mac mini that came with Panther installed and Tiger on CD.

Even if the change takes place, I woudn't be too worried.

My Mac mini came with 1.25GHz- I can overclock it.
If memory is increased to 512Mb- I would still have 512Mb extra(1Gb memory).
Hard drives aren't that precious anyway- If I have to upgrade, I might try the firewire ones or the 7200rpm ones.

Now, If the graphics card is changed to Nvidia- I would be really happy.
You can screen rotate with ATI 9200 but NOT with Nvidia and Tiger.
So, Graphics card change to Nvidia will be a backward step.

Screen spanning can be enabled on ATI cards.

In all, I think, if you are getting a very good deal, you may as well buy now.

Pankaj
WC3_Gamer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The graphics card everyone thinks is going in will be the ATI Radeon 9600 mobile (64mb), and it supports core image, but this is all wishful thinking
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's 11:00AM! Where are the new minis? Laughing
sth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to different news sources they will be released in ~20 hours.

/me is hoping for a 1.5+ ghz Mini w/ 64mb Radeon 9600 and a 7200rpm drive as an option.
calle73

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple store in Sweden is down!!!
Beovox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in hole europe Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: