123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does your case fan always run (when mini is awake)?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Does your case fan always run (when mini is awake)?
yes
60%
 60%  [ 15 ]
no
40%
 40%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 25

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: I voted yes but it's more like 50/50. Reply with quote

IKEAboy wrote:
No

I honestly can't hear a thing from my mini (unless I stick me ear right up to the rear of it). I just got shipped in from China on Wednesday and it came with 10.4.2 prloaded. In saying that, I have not had anything intensive running on it yet!

wasted wrote:
Also, since I leave my machine on 24/7/365 most of the time crunching BOINC/SETI@home packets.

Talking of SETI, here are my stats Very Happy
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/show_user.php?userid=93742

IKEAboy,
when you say you can only hear you mini when you put your ear to the back. Can you do me a favor. Put your mini into sleep mode and note if it becomes quieter. It should be dead silent in sleep mode.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine will turn off during sleep.
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded to Tiger off the enclosed disc shortly after receiving my Mini. I did not bother with a clean install. I am at 10.4.2 through the normal software updates and do not notice any difference in my fan activity.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
idave

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at 10.4.2 and don't hear any noticeable change in fan noise or activity. Still quiet - knocking on wood.
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me crazy, but I'm quite certain with Panther, there was no, zero, nada, fan activity when the OS loaded, or just surfing.

By the poll results others are experiencing no fan activity. I'm not talking a slight whisper. I'm saying the fan is off.

I want zero fan activity when surfing while running Tiger, if possible. This is what I use my computer for 99% of the time.

Sorry about all the bold.
blackjaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Call me crazy, but I'm quite certain with Panther, there was no, zero, nada, fan activity when the OS loaded, or just surfing.

By the poll results others are experiencing no fan activity. I'm not talking a slight whisper. I'm saying the fan is off.

I want zero fan activity when surfing while running Tiger, if possible. This is what I use my computer for 99% of the time.

im right there with you...maybe its time to bring it up to apple?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackjaw wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

You Call Smile Rolling Eyes
blackjaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
blackjaw wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

You Call Smile Rolling Eyes

if i get bored enough tommorow i might...im expecting to be on hold for hmm..maybe 20-30 minutes

im going to try reinstalling everything (since i dont really ahve that much on here) tommorow maybe....before i spend my time on hold
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to back to Panther, just for the heck of it. I would. Then I would then wipe Panther and do a clean install of Tiger.

I'd do it too if I had more time. I'm cleaning, filling/sanding and painting walls in between checking the forum.

I'm also learning Unix for OSX Tiger, through the terminal program. I just bought the book by Dave Taylor, published by O'Reilly.
blackjaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Are you going to back to Panther, just for the heck of it. I would. Then I would then wipe Panther and do a clean install of Tiger.

I'd do it too if I had more time. I'm cleaning, filling/sanding and painting walls in between checking the forum.

I'm also learning Unix for OSX Tiger, through the terminal program. I just bought the book by Dave Taylor, published by O'Reilly.

yeah, im going to transfer all my stuff on my ipod whenever i get a chance, then clean install panther...run it for a while to see what the fan does, then whipe it and clean install tiger

then i think i will have a better idea of what is going on and if its the software
leftplay

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a little while but I'm brings this post back to life because I'm wondering if anyone who bought the new upgraded Mini w/ standard 512MB Ram is having any of these issues. Thanks for any replies.

Sam
thekonuskid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how are you guys getting temp readings? whenever i try to run that program it says something about there not being any readable sensors. what's up with that?
poisonfist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much of a comparison since I OCed it and swapped the HD and the disk drive and RAM the second day I got it. Didn't get to know the Mini in it's factory shipped state. The fan is constantly blowing, sometimes quite loud when I'm pushing it. I did a clean install followed by a software update and so currently at 10.4.2. I have not turned it off since I got it except for a few restarts from software installs and updates. Most of the time it is running BitTorrent, Photoshop, Illustrator, iTunes, Mail, Safari, and will also be burdened with video editing once in a while. I also watch TV (ConvertX with EyeTV) and VLC, MPlayer, Quicktime, DVD Player once in a while. I will quit some apps if videos are playing a bit choppy. Chicago has been quite hot this summer, we are hitting 90+ regularly and the room the Mini sits in is alway around 90 which doesn't help a whole lot.

328i sport package
Cubist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Deja vu Reply with quote

Well this is all a bit too familiar...lol. Last night, I unplugged my G4 Cube and put the HD into a firewire enclosure for use as a startup disc with a 1.42/512meg Mini. I've been a member of the CubeOwner forums for a few years now, so it was kind of amusing to come here and find people obsessing over fan noise and internal temperatures..lol.

Yeah, my new Mini's fan is going all the time too. It's a pretty noisy little thing. The fan in my upgraded Cube is barely audible. Have to get used to this one though, because, I'm just not going back to my old Cube if I don't have to. The Mini does too many other things better than the Cube to be worth it. Too bad my Mini is in the same room as my bed. I had hoped that using a startup disc outside the case of the Mini would contribute to keeping the fan quiet, but that's not the case apparently. I run Folding@Home and leave my Mac on 24/7. The mini was quiet all last evening, and then when I woke up, I heard heard it going what I assume is full blast. Quitting all the apps didn't change anything, so maybe Apple will do something about this with the next OS release.
aristobrat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Folding@Home runs your CPU at 100%, that would generate a lot of heat, causing the mini's fan to run full-blast, no? Shocked

Did your fan spin down a few minutes after you closed all of the programs? I wouldn't imagine that your CPU temperature would magically drop the very instant you closed everything. Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: