123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NewerTech Lowers Prices on miniStack Line
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jthawke

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: LaCie Mini Reply with quote

No, I didn't go for the hub model . . . I already have a very nice Adaptec USB 2 hub and I don't have much need for additional firewire devices. I do have my ACD connected via firewire to the LaCie so I'll have a couple of ports there if needed.

Yes, I'm happy about the Hitachi. I was worried I'd get a Maxtor or WD. This one is very quiet and my mini is showing about 97 degrees internal temp even with the LaCie beneath it.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff. Your set-up is similar to mine. I should have picked up a second 160GB LaCie mini when I had the chance. They were going for $150 CDN. It would have been a good deal just for the case.
jthawke

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Good stuff. Your set-up is similar to mine. I should have picked up a second 160GB LaCie mini when I had the chance. They were going for $150 CDN. It would have been a good deal just for the case.

Next month will be more fun . . . new 1.83 intel mini coming with a new 20" ACD (old system being handed down) and I already have a wall mount arm for it. The new LaCie is just icing on the cake.
Paul B

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: noisy Reply with quote

khurtwilliams wrote:
Does anyone notice how noisy the miniStack V1. I love how quiet my mac mini is but the miniStack fan is QUITE loud. Any way to replace the fan? Is the miniStack V2 any quiter.

I received my miniStack v1 today and I felt the same way until I made a simple modification about 5 minutes ago.

Before this, the fan was really loud. Some have compared it to a hair dryer and others an electric razor. For me, it was a combination of the two.

When I opened the enclosure and screwed the fan off, I didn't notice any excessive noise. I soon discovered that it was coming from the fan blades hitting the wires of the power connector below it. It's a bit tricky to fix (because of there's so little room for movement) but you just need to reposition the wires and the fan so they do not make contact. Here are some pics to show what I did:

Before:

After:

So I hope this helps anyone who has the same problem as I did. The enclosure is now as quiet as any other standard enclosure, and I'm quite happy with the result.

I will also notify OWC of this issue after they respond to the angry email I wrote about an hour ago.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a common problem with the older models. I believe it was resolved with V2.
clintbradford

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: miniStack 400GB Reply with quote

Just installed/formatted my new miniStack v2 for my new Mac mini. It is a well-built unit. Also quite attractive. Instead of rubber feet, it has a length of stiff, rubbery material all along the perimeter on its base - making for a shock-absorbing and steadying "influence" on my desktop.

And it is, indeed, quite quiet. I am quite pleased (again!) with the fine folks at OWC.

Clint Bradford
909-241-7666
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

jthawke wrote:
Does anyone know which of the LaCie models (if any) don't even have a fan? This could make a difference. As well, it IS important that when I sleep my mini, the external drive sleep as well.

Checking Lacie's website shows that of their 3 sizes of drives used in the mini, only the 500GB has a "smart fan".
The 250 and 350 indicate no fan at all.

jb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: