123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini Update Soon?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mojofrojo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought mine from best but and was wondering if I should wait to replace it (cd drive dosent spin up). If I replace it after the upgrade, will they give me the newer version, or what thet have in stock? hope they are changing it soon. Cause I have a gig of ram on order for this baby and I dont want to have to crak this case open more than twice.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojofrojo wrote:
I just bought mine from best but and was wondering if I should wait to replace it (cd drive dosent spin up). If I replace it after the upgrade, will they give me the newer version, or what thet have in stock? hope they are changing it soon. Cause I have a gig of ram on order for this baby and I dont want to have to crak this case open more than twice.

Where did you buy it? If you bought it from Apple, demand they replace it with one of the new models. Other retailers probably won't have the new models in their stores for a couple of weeks.
mojofrojo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought i had typed the "buy in Best buy", sorry. You think that they would replace if i ask nicely?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure they'll take it back if it's within their return policy. The thing is... they probably won't have the new models for a couple of weeks. Return it, get your money back and order it from Apple. That's what I would do!
mojofrojo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a plan. thanks
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I'm sure they'll take it back if it's within their return policy. The thing is... they probably won't have the new models for a couple of weeks. Return it, get your money back and order it from Apple. That's what I would do!

Concurrence. I don't see why you'd want to buy from Best Buy unless you're voiding your warranty (like me) and Best Buy is stupid enough to replace those, unlike Apple most of the time.

Edited: Fixed spelling.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano

Last edited by Susurrus on Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Apple can't just give up on the Mac mini and wait for x86. The Intel rollout is still too far away. They gota keep the line fresh and keep some attention on it. Who knows what the new Mac mini update will bring, even if they slap some 512MB sticks in there it keeps the Mac mini in the press. Well at least it sparks discussion. What else are we going to talk about on a Friday morning in July? Laughing

I could definitely see them up'ing the RAM and/or HD size...but that isn't really changing the mini...just being more generous in what to offer with the base models.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsnoel wrote:
I guess that is a matter of personal taste. As for me, I think the Apple keyboard is excellent, both aesthetically and as far as touch and feel. Its not too firm or too mushy. I'm sorry, but beige or black just do not do it for me. I think most of us would agree, the mouse is nearly worthless.

The sweet spot is this keyboard with this trackball. (IMHO, of course)
bsnoel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
bsnoel wrote:
I guess that is a matter of personal taste. As for me, I think the Apple keyboard is excellent, both aesthetically and as far as touch and feel. Its not too firm or too mushy. I'm sorry, but beige or black just do not do it for me. I think most of us would agree, the mouse is nearly worthless.

The sweet spot is this keyboard with this trackball. (IMHO, of course)

Yes, Matias makes some nice stuff. I have their Laptop Armour for my PowerBook. However, personally I'm not too crazy about trackballs.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think trackballs are too good for your thumb etc. I'm not sure if there have been reported injuries. But it's just a thought. I know some swear by them.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I don't think trackballs are too good for your thumb etc. I'm not sure if there have been reported injuries. But it's just a thought. I know some swear by them.

Considering I've used almost the exact same model every day since the Logitech Trackman Marble came out over 10 years ago and have never had a problem...
Caitlyn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a Mac Mini, I would like to see 512MB RAM standard, a slight processor speed bump, and 64MB of video RAM. Other things would be nice, but that is what I really want.

As for adding ports and such to the Mini, I don't think it will happen, but if it did, to free up some space, Apple could ditch the VGA/DVI port and replace it with a vertical mini DVI port. Then, in the package, they could include a mini DVI to DVI and mini DVI to VGA adapter. That would free up some space. Then they could put maybe another USB port. I think there is enough room on the current model to put an audio in/mic in port. You move the audio out port down a bit, and put the audio in port above it. The more ports the better, IMO, but I can just buy a hub for around 40 bucks if I have to. My main wants for the Mini are what I stated above..
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From ThinkSecret:

Quote:
Additional sources have confirmed that the Mac mini will be updated early next week alongside the iBook. The new high-end Mac mini configuration, for $699, is said to feature AirPort Extreme, BlueTooth, and SuperDrive standard. The mid-range model is expected to come standard with AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth, but it's unclear if the low-end model will too.

That sounds to ME like just what I was saying...rolling some BTO options and upgrades into the base models...but no actual change to the mini itself.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, just pray they do the video with a small bump with the G4. Everything else can be BTO'd.
bsnoel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke with the Apple Dealer who's Mac Mini Sale letter I posted earlier this week. He was somewhat tight lipped about what he knows, more like reluctant to say anything. I don't blame him, he does not want to bite the hand that feeds and if I were him I would not either. He did indicate that Apple told all the dealers to keep exact inventory on iBooks and Mini's for a possible pricing change and that is about all I could pry out of him no matter how hard I pressed. I'm guessing he means Apple gives a credit or adjustment on unsold inventory when a new model comes out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: