123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wii or PS3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which one are you going to buy?
Wii
52%
 52%  [ 31 ]
PS3
37%
 37%  [ 22 ]
Both
10%
 10%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 59

ranger1021

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
I just bought the PS3 and a Sharp LC4682U (46") LCD a month ago. I know you are super happy with your Plasma but I really wanted 1080P and 1080P Plasmas are just too much $. I'm very happy with it. About the only thing I don't like is the small amount of back lighting that you can see on the top and bottom band of a 2:4/1 movie when viewing video in a totally dark room..

Oh, and an Aquos too. Cool

They are really nice LCDs. Did you get a big bonus or something? Laughing

I'm sorry to hear about the uneven backlighting. I guess you are seeing this on the black. I'm still happy with my Hitachi plasma. I should've waited a while to buy it though. The prices of LCDs and plasmas are falling like crazy.

Ahh, the Sharp Aquos. A nice series of LCDs. Did you see that they just released 32in 1080p screens? They look sweet, and the lower end one only costs $1300, without any sales!

Quote:
Quote:
I'll probably buy GTA4 when it is released but, I'll likely only rent games from now on.

I only have like 5 games. I rent everything else with my Blockbuster coupons.

I still only have one game (Resistance), but will most likely get Warhawk, maybe Lair, and HAZE when they come out, or maybe GTHD. I use it mainly for movies. I also have the demos for Motorstorm, Armored Core 4 (personally I don't like it), and GTHD, which looks really sweet, but without a steering wheel, I can't say the feel is great. I also upgraded to a XtremeMac HDMI cable from my Sony Component cable.
Yay new update. Up converting for DVDs and PS/PS2 games! Too bad the game up conversion doesn't really work all that well. You end up with pixalated graphics on many games.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you are gone a lot then. How far away are these rigs from home?

Bandit Bill wrote:
It's not uneven back lighting that I'm experiencing. What I'm referring to is the nature of current LCD technology. The light which illuminates the image tends to bleed into the black bands at the top and bottom of the screen. The bands illuminate slightly. It would be nice if the screen remained as black as it is when the TV is off. I notice the same thing on my 20" ACD when watching a movie in the dark. Maybe this will disappear with LED back lighting.

I know what you are talking about now. My bad.

Bandit Bill wrote:
The Sony is fairly open. This is something that I made sure of. I also have it standing upright so the hot air can rise and escape easily. It's possible that mine is louder than average. I have nothing to compare it to.

It might be. I have mine laying flat. If you ever make it down NY way, stop in to compare. Laughing

Bandit Bill wrote:
As far as waiting to buy TV's you know as well as anyone that the prices are going to continually drop and the technology will continually improve. I felt it was time to make the move, because I am finally satisfied with the technology. Previous LCD TV's drove me nuts to look at. At 4ms and 120Hz I have noticed very little choppiness. About the only time I do notice anything is in standard definition content. I'm still hooked up through analog cable (which is surprisingly good). I plan on getting a HD DVR through my cable company soon.

I know. I just bought before the floor fell out though. Poor DD on my part.

I can always notice a little ghosting on LCDs. Hey, you are going to be blown away with HD. It's hard to watch anything else now.

Bandit Bill wrote:
I've spent a small fortune these past couple months. I was really planning on buy Apple products, but Apple isn't delivering. I'm holding of until Leopard in any case.

I haven't purchased a single thing from Apple this year. I can't even remember the last time that happened this deep into the year. It looks like a Leopard Family pack might be it this year. I would like to buy a 6G, but it doesn't look good.

ranger1021 wrote:
Ahh, the Sharp Aquos. A nice series of LCDs. Did you see that they just released 32in 1080p screens? They look sweet, and the lower end one only costs $1300, without any sales!

I might look at one early next year. Must break Sony habit, must break Sony habit. Laughing
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Must break Sony habit, must break Sony habit. Laughing

It shouldn't be hard to do. Sony had a unique thing going with their aperture grill technology on the CRTs vs. shadow mask technology used by others. I had an opportunity to view both under a magnifying lens. The design difference was quite apparent.

With LCD technology I don't think there is anyone using a unique technology at the present time. Personally I think we will be blown away with future screen technologies. With the content available along with ever increasing bandwidth to deliver the content the market is going to explode.
Greentimbers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got my Wii, love it for Zelda (New Version) and all of the old nintendo games that my kids used to play back in the 80s and 90s

The new controllers are quite unique Shocked

Still getting used to them.

The optional classic controller is more what I'm used too.

The classic controller is what you have to use for most of the retro games.

The internet works fine, although I would never use it in place of any of my macs.

The weather and news channels work much better.

A very good family system (as all nintendos have been)

Cool

Folding on a Intel Mini
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greentimbers wrote:
I finally got my Wii, love it for Zelda (New Version) and all of the old nintendo games that my kids used to play back in the 80s and 90s

The new controllers are quite unique Shocked

Still getting used to them.

The optional classic controller is more what I'm used too.

The classic controller is what you have to use for most of the retro games.

The internet works fine, although I would never use it in place of any of my macs.

The weather and news channels work much better.

A very good family system (as all nintendos have been)

Cool

It's a great system with a lot of stuff to keep you entertained. Wii Sports never seems to get old. I just wish the rest of the games would start to get a little more compelling. That being said, I haven't checked out Mario Party 8 yet. I was going to, but got busy finishing up with school.
aprilfools1993

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother got a Wii. It's better than I thought it would be. Freakin Awesome!
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PS3 is getting a $100 price cut. Who's in now? Very Happy

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=16721
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmen65 wrote:

I would be, but I just bought a PSP hence the price of the current PS3...
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmen65 wrote:

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=16721

Sony is denying it, but most people seem to think it will happen at E3. I think it will happen and they are just playing it down.
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Sony is denying it, but most people seem to think it will happen at E3. I think it will happen and they are just playing it down.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the price drop will happen. I think it will open more people up to the 60GB version.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the PS3 will go down. I doubt the timing will have anything to do with a tech event.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I'm sure the PS3 will go down. I doubt the timing will have anything to do with a tech event.

I think the Circuit City leak threw the announcement off. It was good to see them lower the price though. Did any of you guys watch the Sony or Nintendo press conferences at E3? You can watch them on GameSpot if you haven't.
Lamfxs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have both, they are very different consoles and for me it is really very different experiment, that is why I got both.

Wii has all the cool Nintendo game plus the Wii remote which is really cool and changed the whole sitting in the sofa and doing nothing all day, to a small work out that make it a bit dangerous to play at home. Very Happy

With the PS3 is actually an advance PS2 with cool graphics and live play and feel. I boought it because I was afraid of the red ring of death from Xbox 360.

About repair and support, No doubt that Nintendo Wii wins, excellent help support and problems are fixed immediately, PS3 is not so good at that espect since Sony support is not as good and the error message and freezing games might be annoying. I actually have been going to a free tech support site lately that have pages for both PS3 Support and Wii Support and pretty good experts.

In conclusion I will recommend the Wii since it is cheaper and less problematic, unless you are really into high graphics and live play then I will recommend the PS3 over the Xbox 360...
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Wii Reply with quote

Lamfxs wrote:
Well I have both, they are very different consoles and for me it is really very different experiment, that is why I got both.

Wii has all the cool Nintendo game plus the Wii remote which is really cool and changed the whole sitting in the sofa and doing nothing all day, to a small work out that make it a bit dangerous to play at home. Very Happy

With the PS3 is actually an advance PS2 with cool graphics and live play and feel. I boought it because I was afraid of the red ring of death from Xbox 360.

About repair and support, No doubt that Nintendo Wii wins, excellent help support and problems are fixed immediately, PS3 is not so good at that espect since Sony support is not as good and the error message and freezing games might be annoying. I actually have been going to a free tech support site lately that have pages for both PS3 Support and Wii Support and pretty good experts.

In conclusion I will recommend the Wii since it is cheaper and less problematic, unless you are really into high graphics and live play then I will recommend the PS3 over the Xbox 360...

PS3 is also a Blu-Ray so that's a plus, I got one of the first Wii's that was defective so that you couldn't update it, after that the replacement has never had problems except for when it wouldn't power so I had to unplug it all for a day then use a paper clip and a rubber glove to check for power in the connector (BTW my house had a power surge when it died).

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got my PS3 on the 10th. When Circuit had the free SIXAXIS deal. Got Resistance and Rainbow Six Vegas. Hey I like to shoot people in the face!
60GB seems like a lot, but as most of us should know, that is hardly anything. I've already filled 15GB on my PS3 and I've only had it for 6 days.

I finally got some component cables from Monoprice for the Wii. It definitely looks better than the standard composite. But I still haven't touched the Wii (lol) in over 4 months. It just collects dust between the PS3 and my receiver.

I would had gotten a 360. However, I know too many people who are on their 2nd or 3rd console already... I don't want to go through that kind of hassle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: