123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB wireless adapter for Mac
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
Well, you can get 802.11g USB adapters, though having it internal would be a lot nicer. If you can afford the $90-100 I would recommend getting the internal AE kit. You get Bluetooth too!

Why is the internal nicer if it has been documented that the reception is poor?? Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
Susurrus wrote:
Well, you can get 802.11g USB adapters, though having it internal would be a lot nicer. If you can afford the $90-100 I would recommend getting the internal AE kit. You get Bluetooth too!

Why is the internal nicer if it has been documented that the reception is poor?? Smile

Because I plan on modifying my wireless so I get better reception....heh heh heh Laughing

But surriously, I doubt that the reception from a USB wireless adapter would be better than the Airport Extreme, even with its reception problems. Airport Extreme has been known for great reception and quality, so I'm sure having problems with Airport Extreme will bring you to the same level that that USB adapter is at.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
araceza

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was browsing the site and noticed this thread. I currently use a Syntax USB-400 WiFi card via a hack to the DLink DWL-122 driver (get the hack here: http://astro.temple.edu/~moshe/intersil/). It works pretty well, except that sometimes when waking the mini from sleep, I have to reconnect to my B network.
I just use it because it was left over from a Windoze PC Evil or Very Mad and I happened to find the hack online....

Just my .02. Wink

Zach
Combo drive
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

araceza wrote:
Was browsing the site and noticed this thread. I currently use a Syntax USB-400 WiFi card via a hack to the DLink DWL-122 driver (get the hack here: http://astro.temple.edu/~moshe/intersil/). It works pretty well, except that sometimes when waking the mini from sleep, I have to reconnect to my B network.
I just use it because it was left over from a Windoze PC Evil or Very Mad and I happened to find the hack online....

Whatever works!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
araceza

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever works!![/quote]

That's what I always say.... Smile
Combo drive
blueshead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arrrg.. First of all the belkin usb works better than the d-link 122.. yes it's b not g..but you are missing the point..your speed depends on yer internet connect..and who here has an 11 or 54 meg connect..no one..Smile yer on cable..5 megs or dsl..1.5 megs..g is good fer offices with lots o comps trading info..if all you want is a good usb antenna ..the belkin is tops..it also has a 3 to one range on an airport extreme.. and works with any mac with usb..and is 1/2 the price of extreme.... oh if you can use a soldering iron..you can add a pigtail fer a cantenna.., i have.. Wink When your Airport Extreme dies after 2 rooms..You'll be in the backyard with this..

New Orleans:Proud to Swim Home

Last edited by blueshead on Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blueshead, does that adapter support WPA or WPA2.0 though?
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
blueshead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very simple antenna. in ad-hoc mode it supports wep 128..It will connect to any wireless router if you have the password.I only suggest this as an at home plug in antenna if you need more range away from your wireless router..It's also one of the few usb antennas that run on a mac..lets face it..if you have a mini your choices are basically an airport card or a bridge..this is just an alternative that works.. I do suggest a bridge, though..

New Orleans:Proud to Swim Home
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really don't like Airport Extreme, don't you? I will state this I will not promote any hardware that is not at least support WPA, preferably WPA2.0. WEP has been cracked and software is readily available to crack it.

On that note, I simply suggest Airport for the sheer simplicity of it. It's included with all Mini's now, and you can get it installed aftermarket for the same it would've cost before the new Minis. It's range is sufficient for most uses, as the Mini won't be moved much.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueshead wrote:
It's a very simple antenna. in ad-hoc mode it supports wep 128..It will connect to any wireless router if you have the password.I only suggest this as an at home plug in antenna if you need more range away from your wireless router..It's also one of the few usb antennas that run on a mac..lets face it..if you have a mini your choices are basically an airport card or a bridge..this is just an alternative that works.. I do suggest a bridge, though..

Your best choice is the Airport Extreme card because it works out of the box without any problems or fiddling.

Susurrus wrote:
You really don't like Airport Extreme, don't you? I will state this I will not promote any hardware that is not at least support WPA, preferably WPA2.0. WEP has been cracked and software is readily available to crack it.

On that note, I simply suggest Airport for the sheer simplicity of it. It's included with all Mini's now, and you can get it installed aftermarket for the same it would've cost before the new Minis. It's range is sufficient for most uses, as the Mini won't be moved much.

I couldn't agree more. Although 802.11b is more than usable, security should at least make you think twice. If you can live with the failings of WEP so be it, just remember you need to be more diligent and change the encryption key regularly and run Kismet, even though it seems there is a new unconfirmed flaw in the software.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mr.hostility

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wireless bridge is the best alternative. BUT I went that way, then returned it and got the kit for $100 which included the airport extreme card, and bluetooth. Why? Because the bridge was VERY annoying to say the least, plus for whatever reason it would not do WPA-PSK security right.

The airport/bluetooth has been awesome the entire time. It was pretty easy to install if you follow the directions available on the web.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: