123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini: Memory Specifications [U]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, that logically makes sense, however I'm unaware of any real-world testing of it.
melk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you miss the link above showing OWC tested out 3 & 4 GB in a MacBook?

It's the exact same logic board as a Mini.

It's just a matter of time until it's confirmed first hand in a Mini.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

melk wrote:
Did you miss the link above showing OWC tested out 3 & 4 GB in a MacBook?

It was a Core 2 Duo model, not a Core Duo. Yes, the memory controllers should be the same, but there may be firmware or other revisions causing differences between the MacBook CD and C2D, or between the MacBook and the Mini.

Chances are, you're right. You just can't present it as fact until someone tests it.
melk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It was a Core 2 Duo model, not a Core Duo.

Right. Because a Core Duo won't support more than 2GB. Rolling Eyes

Aren't there people here who have upgraded to a C2D? Surely somebody would jump at the oppourtunity to do this. I'd love to, I just do not yet have a C2D in my Mini.

If there is in fact some reason it doesn't work, you know what will happen? Your Mini won't boot. It's not going to explode, or in any other way damage anything.

I hear what you are saying, about not being able to claim it as FACT until we have definitive proof, but I'm posting this in order to let anyone who has a C2D chip know that it should be smooth sailing to upgrade to 3 or 4 GB in your Mini, without having to worry about possibly damaging anything.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

melk wrote:
Right. Because a Core Duo won't support more than 2GB. Rolling Eyes

Again, empirical proof is worth it's weight in gold over speculation. It should, but until someone's tried it and reported back, it's just a guess. It may be an educated guess, but it's still a guess.

Quote:
Aren't there people here who have upgraded to a C2D? Surely somebody would jump at the oppourtunity to do this. I'd love to, I just do not yet have a C2D in my Mini.

There's a whole lot. In fact, I am also surprised no one else has at least tried a 2GB module. I have access to some 2GB modules at work, and I may have to try it in my Mini some time, even though it's a Core Duo.

Quote:
If there is in fact some reason it doesn't work, you know what will happen? Your Mini won't boot. It's not going to explode, or in any other way damage anything.

Exactly. I don't think anyone was saying any different. I think the only hesitation comes from dropping the money on a 2GB stick and find out it doesn't work, and then being unable or expensive to return it.

Quote:
I hear what you are saying, about not being able to claim it as FACT until we have definitive proof, but I'm posting this in order to let anyone who has a C2D chip know that it should be smooth sailing to upgrade to 3 or 4 GB in your Mini, without having to worry about possibly damaging anything.

"Should" is the key word, and I commend you for using it. I think we're on the same wavelength now. I just tend to be a stickler about separating speculation from known fact on this forum, simply because we have many members who are new or inexperienced, and I don't want them reading something that's speculative and treating it as gospel. If you look in my previous posts on other topics, I tend to be that way in quite a few areas. I don't mean to rub anyone the wrong way with it. I'm simply trying to keep the quality and accuracy of the advice on this forum as high as possible for the benefit of all of our users.
melk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All is well and good. Smile I don't mean to be such a hard nose, especially about something that has not been proven yet. (Though really, I'm sure somebody has tried it already... Razz I'll have to dig through xlr8, ars, hardmac etc. I just don't have as much free time as I once did.)

Quote:
simply because we have many members who are new or inexperienced, and I don't want them reading something that's speculative and treating it as gospel.

I've just recently started reading these forums, but definitley noticed that when several people were trying to guess the function of a mysterious button (PMU) on the logic board. Smile

Quote:
I have access to some 2GB modules at work, and I may have to try it in my Mini some time, even though it's a Core Duo.

Please do! I would love to know the result. I assume it will work, but it's always good to have defintive proof, eh? Wink
D444niel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got round to installing my 2x1Gb Kingston mem modules. Installed and work fine Very Happy Macminis are so easy to take apart and the only real issue was trying to re-connect the fan cable at the front. Oh and ram cost less then £20 per module Very Happy.

Too much spec to add here ....
valanda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Memory controller issue Reply with quote

I am not knowledgable on this, but I do know that the memory controller on the GMA950 is 32 bit. (please correct me if this is not so!) Is this a hardware limitation or is this a potential firmware or other non-hard issue that could possibly be "hacked" to allow for 64 bit? If this is completely hardware related, how difficult would it be to "switch out" the memory controller with one that is now 64 bit compliant, since there are now macs with 64 bit capacity?

I would love to hear the speculation on this one!! And even if this is possible, can we even get the upgraded controller parts to swap out? I am very good at saudering, but those insanely tiny joints are still very difficult, and it is very easy to burn a board and have minute particles of sauder and or flux in the wrong area and then poof* no more mini. On the other hand, if it is possilbe, in a few leaps of ambiguous time, I would be interested in attempting this when I get to a point where this is no longer my 'only' computer.

happy specualting

Valanda
Chris..S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't be possible.

And there is no way you can remove a BGA with hand soldering equipment Wink
Cods

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Mac Mini - Using new MacBook Pro as a RAM donor ? Reply with quote

G'day, I just ordered a refurbished 1.83GHz CD Mac Mini, and next on the list is a new 17" MacBook Pro.

My plan is to buy a 4Gb RAM upgrade kit for the MBP, and use the 2x 1Gb SO-DIMMs that come standard in the MBP to upgrade the Mac Mini.

I've done a couple of quick searches and can't find an exact answer to this question, although everything I have found suggests that this is an eminently doable plan.

Anyone see any hassles?

Cheers,
rwmorton

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: 3gb mini?? Reply with quote

I have 2X2gb ram installed in my mini right now, the system information only reports 2gb. I've had 1X2, 2X1 and 1x2+1X1 and still only 2gb. So at least I for one am satified that the mini can only use 2gb.

Ibook 1.33, 1.5gb ram, 80gb HDD, cd/dvd r/w for sale
valanda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: 3gb mini?? Reply with quote

rwmorton wrote:
I have 2X2gb ram installed in my mini right now, the system information only reports 2gb. I've had 1X2, 2X1 and 1x2+1X1 and still only 2gb. So at least I for one am satified that the mini can only use 2gb.

To verify, you have this mini with a C2D inside? I thought that perhaps there would be a 3 gig limitation based on some things I have read. that is a bit disappointing.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 3gb mini?? Reply with quote

rwmorton wrote:

Thanks for checking. Your results are what I expected, though it would have been nice to have more Smile
rwmorton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Screen shot Reply with quote

Screen shot
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24354247@N00/740616312/

Ibook 1.33, 1.5gb ram, 80gb HDD, cd/dvd r/w for sale
melk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll eat my hat. Smile

Do you have a screenshot of ASP displaying the memory information? I'm wondering whether it is recogonizing a single 2GB chip, or 1GB from each.

You mentioned that you tried it with 1x2GB. Does it see and work with the single 2GB module?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: