123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Want 20" Cinema display...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyzard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Want 20" Cinema display... Reply with quote

Man.....

This apple stuff is addicting...

I've had my mini for about 1 1/2 months. Currently have a Westinghouse 17" widescreen (about 1 month old), but I'm drooling over the 20" ACD....

Should I do it??

Will it be that big of a difference?

Thanks.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can afford the Cinema Display, buy one and drool all of it. I'm sure you can find a buyer for your Westinghouse seeing it is a Widescreen.

I have never kicked myself in the butt for buying what I want. But have often done it for cheaping out.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can afford it...buy it!! (but don't go into debt for one)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Want 20" Cinema display... Reply with quote

wyzard wrote:

Will it be that big of a difference?

Thanks.

Overall quality and picture, but it comes at a price.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that, if anything, I may save up for one of the larger Dell widescreens.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
I think that, if anything, I may save up for one of the larger Dell widescreens.

I think that in general the Dell LCDs are a very good deal for price/performance. Especially if you watch the rebates. I love my Dell 19" 1905fp.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Dell should write a letter to Apple thanking them for the increase in LCD sells from the Mac mini! Very Happy

It might help Michael stay on Steve's good side, so he can get his MacinDells to sell.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dell and Apple displays (20" and 23", I don't know if Dell makes a 30") share the exact same panel, so only the aesthetics and backlight are different. I would say go for the Dell if you want a display and don't want to spend more than your Mini. Of course, they aren't as pretty as the ACD, but you get what you pay for...
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
danny_w

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got the Dell 2005fpw for $436 and love it! I would have liked the ACD, but couldn't justify the money to myself, besides which the Dell gives me more inputs and a USB hub, which will all come in handy (the ACD has dvi only). And the black case is really much nicer looking than I had imagined, although still no match for that classy Apple display! So, if you can afford the Apple and don't need the extra inputs, then by all means get it. But if you are like me and cannot come up with that much money, or you need the extra inputs for another computer (or TV or VCR or XBOX), then the Dell is a very good alternative, and with a better warranty to boot!
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danny_w wrote:
I recently got the Dell 2005fpw for $436 and love it! I would have liked the ACD, but couldn't justify the money to myself, besides which the Dell gives me more inputs and a USB hub, which will all come in handy (the ACD has dvi only). And the black case is really much nicer looking than I had imagined, although still no match for that classy Apple display! So, if you can afford the Apple and don't need the extra inputs, then by all means get it. But if you are like me and cannot come up with that much money, or you need the extra inputs for another computer (or TV or VCR or XBOX), then the Dell is a very good alternative, and with a better warranty to boot!

You don't happen to know their return policy with respect to dead pixels compared to Apple's, do you? I think theirs is substantially better, but I'm not sure.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
danny_w

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
danny_w wrote:

You don't happen to know their return policy with respect to dead pixels compared to Apple's, do you? I think theirs is substantially better, but I'm not sure.

No, sorry, I don't know. Mine does not appear to have any bad pixel problems (at least that I can see). Most LCD panels that I have seen however do not have a very good (for the user) policy on dead pixels. NewEgg won't take anything back with less than 8 dead pixels! I don't know about Apple and Dell, however.
WC3_Gamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy a decent monitor, they can last really long without getting single dead pixel. The monitor that I'm looking at right now is the NEC MultiSynce LCD1765 model. We've had it for a year and not a single dead pixel. But on our old monitor (we got it in 99', a 15" Dell LCD< which was like the first year you could get LCD's, it had like 30 dead pixels after two years so we got another one and same thing happened). I guess Dell's LCD's have gotten alot better, but i doubt my dad will buy one again. NEC LCD's look great and have good warranties.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WC3_Gamer wrote:
If you buy a decent monitor, they can last really long without getting single dead pixel. The monitor that I'm looking at right now is the NEC MultiSynce LCD1765 model. We've had it for a year and not a single dead pixel. But on our old monitor (we got it in 99', a 15" Dell LCD< which was like the first year you could get LCD's, it had like 30 dead pixels after two years so we got another one and same thing happened). I guess Dell's LCD's have gotten alot better, but i doubt my dad will buy one again. NEC LCD's look great and have good warranties.

Good LCD panels rarely get new dead pixels after an initial period of use (I don't know what that is, but after you "break in" an LCD, not much should happen to it). What I'm worried about is receiving the LCD from the factory with a couple dead or stuck pixels.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to purchase the 24" Dell widescreen about a week ago. but I'm going by my own advice. Buy what you really want. I really want the Apple Cinema Display. I don't really want the Dell, it just has higher specs and a lower price.

As far as value goes:
value= (tangibles + intangibles) - price

Which monitors is better value:
That depends on how much you care about intangibles.

In the 20" I'd buy an Apple, in the 23-24" I'd probably buy a Dell (wishing I had bought the Apple)
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danny_w wrote:
better warranty to boot!

Dells are 3 years right?
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: