123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Announces iPhone Service Plans
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Apple Announces iPhone Service Plans Reply with quote

Apple Announces iPhone Service Plans
Tuesday, June 26, 2007
Posted by: Brian

AT&T and Apple today announced three service plans for iPhone which start at $59.99 per month. All three plans include unlimited data, Visual Voicemail, 200 SMS text messages, roll-over minutes and unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling. With everything else already included, iPhone customers can choose the plan that's right for them based on the amount of voice minutes they plan to use each month. In addition, iPhone customers can choose from any of AT&T's standard service plans.

All iPhone plans include Visual Voicemail, an industry first, which allows consumers to see a listing of their voicemails, decide which messages to listen to, then go directly to those messages without listening to previous messages. Just like email, Visual Voicemail on iPhone enables users to immediately and randomly access the messages that interest them most. Unlike most wireless plans that charge additional fees for new features, there are no additional fees for Visual Voicemail.

iPhone goes on sale at 6:00 p.m. (local time) on Friday, June 29 and will be sold in the US through Apple's retail and online stores and AT&T retail stores. iPhone will be available in a 4GB model for $499 (US) and an 8GB model for $599 (US), and will work with either a PC or Mac. All iPhone monthly service plans are available for individuals and families and are based on a new two-year service agreement with AT&T. Individual plans are priced at $59.99 for 450 minutes, $79.99 for 900 minutes and $99.99 for 1,350 minutes. All plans include unlimited data (email and web), Visual Voicemail, 200 SMS text messages, roll over minutes and unlimited mobile-to-mobile and a one-time activation fee of $36. Family plans are also available.

Apple and AT&T also announced today that iPhone users will be able to activate their new iPhones using Apple's iTunes software running on a PC or Mac computer in the comfort and privacy of their own home or office, without having to wait in a store while their phone is activated. Activating iPhone takes only minutes as iTunes guides the user through simple steps to choose their service plan, authorize their credit and activate their iPhone. Once iPhone is activated, users can then easily sync all of their phone numbers and other contact information, calendars, email accounts, web browser bookmarks, music, photos, podcasts, TV shows and movies just like they do when they sync their iPods with iTunes.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/679.html

Last edited by admin on Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About what I was expecting. I'm still on the fence. An education discount for the iPhone itself might get me off it though. Wink
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad. The plans are less expensive than I thought they would be. I could see a 2G iPhone in my future.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:
Not bad. The plans are less expensive than I thought they would be. I could see a 2G iPhone in my future.

Agreed. I was thinking that the minimum plan would be in the $100 range. The $600 price tag of the phone is still out of my budget, but this is positive news.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:

Waiting for the 2G iPhone is probably the smart move Weee. I'm just happy to know that the plans are something that will fit into my budget. I just wish like ClunkClunk that the $600 iPhone was too. Laughing
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not sure if the iPhone will live up to expectations, but Apple sure is doing a good job of putting this together. I really think the plans are reasonably priced. And the activation process is yet another breakthrough.
iLife's a Bitch!
heavy_nutz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those plans completely suck for people who text alot
Top 25 Poster
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heavy_nutz wrote:

I would probably be disappointed with that 200 limit if I was heavy into text messaging. It's probably the weakest part about the plans. That being said, 200 is probably more than enough for a person like myself. I'm not a big IM or SMS person.
iLife's a Bitch!
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heavy_nutz wrote:

I've sent 200 text messages in one day. Wink
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
And the activation process is yet another breakthrough.

It's cool, but why are they still charging to activate? We're doing all the work. Laughing
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pogue is great!

http://video.on.nytimes.com/index.jsp?fr_story=caed76f16c6132710db58210df3940afb8a3f7c8

I thought the service plans would be in this range. Now, can we move on to the 6G iPod? Rolling Eyes
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Pogue is great!

http://video.on.nytimes.com/index.jsp?fr_story=caed76f16c6132710db58210df3940afb8a3f7c8

That was very funny! He makes Uncle Walt look like a real stick in the mud.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
That was very funny! He makes Uncle Walt look like a real stick in the mud.

Personally, I think he is a little less biased than Walt Mossberg when it comes to reviewing Apple products. I wasn't surprised to see both of them gave the iPhone good reviews though. Back to the iPhone for a second. I still might buy one if the 6G iPod lets me down. I already get the AT&T bundle with phone, wireless, and DSL so I can live with that part. I'm trying to figure out if they are giving these customers a deal for the iPhone data service plan.
Dinshaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I would like to say yes, these factors are why I'll be passing:

non-replaceable battery
AT&T service
No Flash in Safari
Limited Storage with no memory card slot
Price

There are some others, but those are the major sticking points.
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys think it will be possible for an AT&T prepaid customer to add an iPhone data plan? Is there any information related to this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: