123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini-based Digital Newsstand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Mac Mini-based Digital Newsstand Reply with quote

Mac Mini-based Digital Newsstand
Friday, June 22, 2007
Posted by: Brian

I'm always amazed with the creative projects people are doing with their Mac minis, and this one just brought a smile to my face. Scott Walker writes in to tell us about his Mac mini-based digital newsstand. "I've modified an old newspaper vending box to deliver the latest headlines to my living room each morning, and I don't even have to fumble around for quarters. It runs an AppleScript that generates a slideshow of newspaper front page images using PhotoPresenter," writes Scott. The setup includes a 1.42GHz Mac mini, 17" LG Flatron LCD and Insignia 2.1 speaker system. Scott even posted a video of the digital newsstand in action. I would suggest that you head on over to his blog for the rest of the details. It's interesting to see how the project came together.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/677.html
castaway

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's cool in an artsy sort of way, but I don't think it would be very useful. I think a modern style jukebox with a touchscreen and coverflow would be a cool idea for someone to make. I saw one for an iPod once, but I can't recall the company that was making them.
Loui The Lip

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Newseum Screensaver Reply with quote

Any ideas of how you could use the daily front pages from Newseum to make a screen saver? If you had a mac mini connected to a nice TV you could set things up so that the screen saver loaded in the morning and you could glance at the screen while getting ready for your day and be up to date! That would be so cool, any ideas on how to do this with Windows?
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Newseum Screensaver Reply with quote

Loui The Lip wrote:
Any ideas of how you could use the daily front pages from Newseum to make a screen saver?

Do they have an RSS feed for them?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: