123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.4.10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KonaJoe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Think I'll wait a day or two.. Reply with quote

Too many posters here seem to be having trouble. I'll check again Sunday and see if there's more info.

Exclamation
Inky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Inky, what's going on with your Mac now?

Well at the moment it's doing the "pops" that sound almost like a galloping horse. And they keep getting louder and louder and louder...

Edit: Wait! I'm retarded! I changed my input's frequency by accident. Let's see how it does at 48000whatever output.

Edit 2: I'm cured. Thanks Very Happy

Last edited by Inky on Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:11 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
I believe that 44100 is the default; at least that's what my Cube's setting is and I haven't updated it to 10.4.10 yet. Out of curiosity, what made you change that setting to 48000, and is the change still preventing the pops??

I checked the audio settings on each of my Mac minis. The G4 Mac mini is set to 44100Hz, and the Intel Mac mini is set to 48000Hz. I have never manually changed either of these settings, so I would assume they are the default values. I am also good on the no popping front after updated to 10.4.10.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyPod wrote:
Weee wrote:
I'm seeing an unusually high amount of beachballs with Safari 3 after installing this update. It also takes like 15-20 seconds to launch now. I think I'm going to revert back to Safari 2. Anyone else having trouble like this?

I have been having trouble with how slow my mini is in general. It's mostly when I'm running Safari, so that may be what's causing the problem.

I also think it has to do with how much free space is left on my hard drive.

Well, I've noticed my iMac gradually get slower (doh), and these updates aren't helping. Then again, my school has iMacs with 1.5GB of RAM. Maybe I've gotten used to that?

Uninstalling quicksilver has helped.

Also, I have 60 GB of HDD left. I will post again after I have installed the update.
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Out of curiosity, what made you change that setting to 48000, and is the change still preventing the pops

Just thought that I would try a few things associated with audio out. Format was the first and only real option in Audio Midi Setup. I also went into configure speakers and hit apply now again. I don't know why, but I'm still snap, pop and crack free. I might try switching it back to 44100.0 Hz later and see what happens.
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those interested here is an article on possible fixes for the audio "pops."

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20070622084922319
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that link. I am also getting the audio pops with my Mini. It seems they happen immediately before a sound is played and 30 seconds afterward. To check this, adjust the volume on the menu bar with the clock set to display seconds.
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
tmfynes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: 10.4.10 broke my webcam audio Reply with quote

Has anyone had any problems with usb webcam's since the update?

Both I and a friend have mac mini's (most recent models) and logitech quickcam pro 5000's... which worked perfectly without the need for any drivers...

until the 10.4.10 update.

now the video still works in the likes of skype, but the audio device associated with the webcam's microphone is gone

Any ideas on how I can restore this functionality would be very much appreciated.

thanks
tmf
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated my MBP with 10.4.10 last night, and everything went smoothly. I didn't notice any audio problems, but I didn't do much more than listen to iTunes.

I haven't updated the Mini yet.
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned by others on other forums, the problem is that the sound circuitry is going in power save mode (the thump 30 seconds after a sound) and coming back on (the thump before a sound plays).

This is normal for MacBooks on battery power, but you can't hear it with the very weak notebook speakers (particularly weak at the low frequencies of this thump). It's especially noticeable with a subwoofer. I verified it happens with 10.4.9 on my MacBook with external speakers, when the AC power is removed. Since Minis don't have batteries, it should never occur on them.

Others testify this problem of it doing it on AC occurs on the MacBook/MacBook Pro with external speakers and 10.4.10, so since I use my MacBook with external speakers (and AC power), I'm not going to do the update on it until Apple fixes the problem.

Hope this helps,
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
kes601

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems as though 10.4.10 has stopped my Belkin USB/Firewire Hub(the one that sits under the Mini) from working. The firewire ports work, but the USB ports no longer power anything. I just plugged it into a different machine w/10.4.9 installed and poof it works. It's not the ports on my Mini because I have other hubs plugged into them now.

I wish I had thought of checking this before ordering a replacement.
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up fixing my problem, and haven't encountered any "popping" noises coming out of my speakers. Seems like and odd update for some.
johnodd4

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: interresting!!!! Reply with quote

I would have to agree please no 10.4.11.

But i look at this with open arms if this is truly the last version update for mac os x tiger I would have to say what a ride.

Mac os x tiger has been one of the most greatest funnest operating systems that apple has released. In years and with my beta testing of leopard about to come to a end all i can say is mac users will not be dissapointed by the new os and apple will keep the legacy of mac os x on and on into the next version.
castaway

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: interresting!!!! Reply with quote

johnodd4 wrote:
I would have to agree please no 10.4.11.

With all the trouble people are having with these pops and what not, I think 10.4.11 or 10.4.10.1 is a given.
Dinshaw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuentecigar wrote:
For those interested here is an article on possible fixes for the audio "pops."

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20070622084922319

I'm also hearing these pops. Would you guys recommend trying this method or waiting a few days to see if Apples comes up with a fix? Was it even successful?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: