123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.4.10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D444niel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Install the update and everything works fine. Volume seems to work louder, no hanging or slowing down. Not going to install Safari 3 until its released as a full program. Dont trust betas as far as I could throw them ....

Too much spec to add here ....
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
I noticed it in non-sound apps like Entourage and Safari. I don't notice anything special in iTunes. The noise is not loud. I'm wondering if it's a drive noise? But it isn't a seek noise; more like a soft "pop". Each "pop" has the same pitch and volume. The rate of recurrence is what's irregular; I'm guessing every 10 seconds to a minute.

I have the same type of pops and snaps coming out of my external speakers every few minutes. When I disconnect the speakers from my Intel Mac mini it stops. The pops seem to be more frequent when iTunes, Mail and Adium are open. It's almost like something is trying to initialize the sound card. This is clearly a problem with the 10.4.10 update and not your HDD. I hope Apple can fix it soon!
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Firewire audio interface is no longer recognized. I have not been able to get it to work. I booted from an external with 10.4.9 and it does work so, it is an issue in the update. Does any one have any ideas? I also posted over in Troubleshooting. I think I am going to wait for today and see what I (or anyone else) can come up with. If it doesn't work out then, I think I am going to revert back to 10.4.9. I hate to do that but, I have a receiver and mixer hooked through the interface and; I really don't want to do without the hook-up.
Squid3660

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To update or not to update is the question...

If it aint broke, dont break it! If 10.4.9 works just fine for you right now, then I would not update to .10. Why take the chance of experiencing the same problems or worse as MOST everyone who has posted about it so far! Im staying as far away from this update as possible.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem so far for me, AFAIK. Didn't really test for pop noises, but everything else (menus, dock, FireWire and USB drives, etc) seems to be working fine. Safari 3 Beta still running fine too.

PPC Mac mini with 1GB RAM, if it makes any difference.
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to go ahead and re-copy my external 10.4.9 back to the original internal. Since I had done incremental back-ups, I think the only thing I seem to be missing is the original HD icon. I'll try to hunt that up and I think all will be back as it was.
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuentecigar wrote:
I decided to go ahead and re-copy my external 10.4.9 back to the original internal. Since I had done incremental back-ups, I think the only thing I seem to be missing is the original HD icon. I'll try to hunt that up and I think all will be back as it was.

Try this...
right-click on your harddrive, select "get info"
in the info window, select the drive icon at the top, click delete,
This might correct your icon, otherwise nothing will happen.

jb.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rightondamark wrote:
I have the same type of pops and snaps coming out of my external speakers every few minutes. When I disconnect the speakers from my Intel Mac mini it stops. The pops seem to be more frequent when iTunes, Mail and Adium are open. It's almost like something is trying to initialize the sound card. This is clearly a problem with the 10.4.10 update and not your HDD. I hope Apple can fix it soon!

Wherever the noise is coming from, I'm pretty sure there's no problem with my HD. It's only about a month old, and there are a number of other reports of this problem on other forums, although it is possible that there are different problems causing the pops or clicks. My G4 mini was also upgraded to 10.4.10, and I cannot hear any pops or clicks coming out of it. One difference - the mini has external usb speakers whereas my PowerBook has only the internal speakers.
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jb wrote:
fuentecigar wrote:

Try this...
right-click on your harddrive, select "get info"
in the info window, select the drive icon at the top, click delete,
This might correct your icon, otherwise nothing will happen.

jb.
Thank you, jb; it worked. I really appreciate it.
lumberjack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the iPhone gets going, is there likely to be a further update ?
Inky

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rightondamark wrote:
Fox wrote:
I noticed it in non-sound apps like Entourage and Safari. I don't notice anything special in iTunes. The noise is not loud. I'm wondering if it's a drive noise? But it isn't a seek noise; more like a soft "pop". Each "pop" has the same pitch and volume. The rate of recurrence is what's irregular; I'm guessing every 10 seconds to a minute.

I have the same thing with my speakers, but as far as I knew, after watching Windows XP boot on this machine, as well as coming out of sleep mode on either OS, it seemed as though the speakers were (and I'm just guessing here) receiving no signal and that's where the popping was coming from.

But, in OS X for example, I just mute > unmute really quick and the soft pop sound that it makes would set my speakers right and things would go good from then on.

Unfortunately after this update (gotta say, it IS louder. Scared me actually Neutral) every few minutes I here my sub do this pop noise, then ever so quietly, my speakers start "popping" until they're as loud as I have my music.
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inky, Fox

I tried an SMC reset this morning, but it didn't fix the popping problem. However, I just looked in Audio MIDI setup a couple of hours ago and changed the format from 44100.0 Hz to 48000.0 Hz. This might have fixed it. I haven't heard a single pop since. I wonder if the update changed this value from 48000.0 Hz to 44100.0 Hz? To be honest, I don't know which one is the default. It might even be worth changing it from 48000.0 Hz to 44100.0 Hz if you have it the other way around. Perhaps this resets a system or .plist file somewhere. Fingers crossed that it holds!
Inky

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. Did what you said, and so far I hear nothing. Very Happy

Edit: God damnit. Now it just pops faster Razz

Last edited by Inky on Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed updates, rebooted computer, opened iTunes, NOTHING!

Does anybody know why this happened, and any type of fix? I still have my "Music" folder, but none of my songs are in iTunes. How do I move all my files over to iTunes, and recover the lost files after the update?

This really sucks, and I hope someone can help me out.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rightondamark wrote:
...However, I just looked in Audio MIDI setup a couple of hours ago and changed the format from 44100.0 Hz to 48000.0 Hz. This might have fixed it. I haven't heard a single pop since. I wonder if the update changed this value from 48000.0 Hz to 44100.0 Hz? To be honest, I don't know which one is the default. It might even be worth changing it from 48000.0 Hz to 44100.0 Hz if you have it the other way around.

Righondamark, I believe that 44100 is the default; at least that's what my Cube's setting is and I haven't updated it to 10.4.10 yet. Out of curiosity, what made you change that setting to 48000, and is the change still preventing the pops?

Inky, what's going on with your Mac now?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: