123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mini to TV Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rollfaster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Mini to TV Problem Reply with quote

Howdy everyone!

I'm a long time viewer, first time poster. I've enjoyed these forums enough that I added a mac mini to my collection of apple products. I am using it as the brain for an entertainment center and thus far it works quite well (though sorting out cables/connections took some figuring). Video plays wonderfully, both dvd's and mpegs/avis. OS X games play well too, though I am waiting for some aftermarket RAM to arrive in the mail today.

All that said, I do have one disappointment. My favorite old mac game runs in classic and will not play on the TV (though it will on my eMac). Here's the issue: the game adjusts the display when it boots and the refresh rate changes from NTSC (which is what my tv supports) to PAL. It may be an issue of resolution (as I have rebooted the mini numerous times due to trying out one of the resolutions offered in the display control panel only to find that it changes the refresh rate (and then I can't adjust back due to nasty flicker)), but the game runs in 640 x 480 which IS supported by my tv (i.e. I can switch into it myself without a problem). The game does run, I can hear the music/movies in the startup, but the tv doesn't accept the images.

Anyone have any ideas/experience with the tv going haywire?

I should mention that I have the DVI to S-video connector, and Tiger recognizes the display. Maybe I need to turn off the interlacing for it to work? But the display control panel says "interlaced" next to all options for resolution.

Well, you all seem very knowledgable, so I thought it was worth a try.

Thanks in advance for your help.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried messing around with DisplayConfigX?

http://voodoofx.all.de/displayconfigx/
iLife's a Bitch!
rollfaster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I messed around with that utility a bit and I guess I don't know enough about my TV to dial it in. It's a 3 year old tv, a hand-me-down with no documentation. I'll keep at it, but I'm getting sick of blank or flickering screens....
rollfaster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Fixed! Reply with quote

Just to let you know, I found resolution (no pun intended) with my display issue. The program was forcing it's way into an undesirable resolution so I booted the program on my other computer, where it works, adjusted the display preferences and copied the program's preference file to the mini - and it worked. Very awesome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: