123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How did you buy your mac?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How did you buy your mac?
Installments
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Outright
93%
 93%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 30

jordz84

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: How did you buy your mac? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of going down the pay-by-installments road with my local reseller... $25/wk for a 20" iMac, I know its a bit of a rip but its easier on the old hip pocket

Anyone paying by installments?
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless it's a no-interest deal, I would never pay by installments.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
heavy_nutz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea im with iMav on this one, never pay by installments, better to wait till you have all the money at once
Top 25 Poster
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Computers depreciate so quickly that I wouldn't be making payments on one.
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Apple is offering a 0% finance program on their Macs... if you are short on cash and MUST do installments, then I would do Apple instead of an authorized reseller.

-jb

EDIT: Failed to mention that the purchase must be a minimum of $5000.... so maybe it isn't the best option.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbstingray wrote:
EDIT: Failed to mention that the purchase must be a minimum of $5000.... so maybe it isn't the best option.

Why? I could spend that heartbeat.

Let's see....$5000 divided by 24 months equals $208 a month. Yeah, that's not going to work here. Laughing
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
jbstingray wrote:

Why? I could spend that heartbeat.

Let's see....$5000 divided by 24 months equals $208 a month. Yeah, that's not going to work here. Laughing

24 months? How'd you come up with that? If you don't plan on replacing you machine for 3-4 years you could cut that payment in half, then again, I carry a car payment, why carry a Mac payment too! Smile (I trade cars every two years, hence "carry a payment", I'll be paying for a car my entire life, I suppose!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
24 months? How'd you come up with that?

It is the terms of the 0% deal that jbstingray posted. I just split it up equally.

http://store.apple.com/AppleStore/WebObjects/BizCustom?qprm=78313&family=LeaseOffer2007
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy most everything with cash or check. There are only a few online exceptions with credit. Even then, I don't carry the charges to the next month. The bill is paid in full.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I buy most everything with cash or check. There are only a few online exceptions with credit. Even then, I don't carry the charges to the next month. The bill is paid in full.

I carry 3 credit cards with me. First is my debit/cash-check card. It functions as a Visa, but draws from my checking account. Second is my PayPal debit/cash-check card. It functions as a MasterCard, but draws from my PayPal account (and when that account is empty, it draws from my checking account). Third is my AmEx Corp. card. This is a non-revolving credit card and MUST be paid off each month (used for work expenses that are reimbursed).

Credit card debt is definitely the most dangerous debt you can incur. Early in my marriage, we accumulated SIGNIFICANT CC debt due to a lack of sufficient income and lack of common sense. Smile It took us a LOOOONG time to dig ourselves out. Credit cards are pure evil!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
devo wrote:

I carry 3 credit cards with me. First is my debit/cash-check card. It functions as a Visa, but draws from my checking account. Second is my PayPal debit/cash-check card. It functions as a MasterCard, but draws from my PayPal account (and when that account is empty, it draws from my checking account). Third is my AmEx Corp. card. This is a non-revolving credit card and MUST be paid off each month (used for work expenses that are reimbursed).

Credit card debt is definitely the most dangerous debt you can incur. Early in my marriage, we accumulated SIGNIFICANT CC debt due to a lack of sufficient income and lack of common sense. Smile It took us a LOOOONG time to dig ourselves out. Credit cards are pure evil!

iMav, I couldn't agree more, and more over, I use the same thing (less the AMEX) I use my debit card and my Paypal card, that's it. I pay cash for everything, if it's expensive, I save up for it. My thinking is, if I can't pay cash, i can't have it! (normally if that's the case, i don't REALLY need it either! Smile )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should definitely keep all credit cards away from your wife! Wink Laughing
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: yeah Reply with quote

NEVER get Credit Card debt, only spend what you have and then make sure if you need to get a savings for months you may need more as a back up to keep out of debt (my parents have a savings they only just recently took out of for a 30th anniversary cruise in Hawaii and still have a few thousand in it). My parents have 5 credit/debt cards one account has cards for the family for emergency use that I only just found out about and they've had for years, another is a joint account for bills, another is for online ONLY, another is general use so no specific purpose, and the other one is a savings in a local bank that is only drawn from for emergencies where they need money fast (used on 2 occasions I know of both house fires but they were reimbursed on most of it since insurance covered eating out, supplies, and other immediate expenses up to a certain).
My sister has 3 accounts one of which is joint with her boyfriend who she lives with, another is personal (checking/debt card), and another is just a personal credit card (rarely used).

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:

It's good that you got out, some people never do. Minimums payments, interest rates and late fees are a death trap.

curt wrote:
You should definitely keep all credit cards away from your wife!

I agree 110%. Laughing
elviswjr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a $600 grant check from school and combined it with my paycheck to get mine. I don't like to make payments because I usually don't pay them and end up returning the product.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: