123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Belkin Flips for the Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spoonman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Two USB out? Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
I notice it's got two USB out, one marked mouse, the other keyboard. Is it actually a 2-port switched hub, or is it actually doing something special with the keyboard port? That might explain this otherwise inexplicable comment: "Flip is the only peripheral switching product that fully supports all Mac keyboards and function keys, including the built in mouse hub on Mac keyboards. For PC keyboard users, Flip includes touch sensitive buttons to control volume and eject disks on the Mac mini function keys that are found only on Mac keyboards." I've never had any problems using a Mac keyboard... including all Mac function keys... on any dumb USB KVM.

Well.... some KVMs don't let the funtion keys work. I know mine doesn't.... But then again, I have had it for awhile too......

Otherwise, GREAT product. I am glad to see companies getting on board to support the mini's.
Combo optical drive
Airport Extreme/Bluetooth
External 16X DVD+R,-R (Sony DRU-810A) in an ADS FW enclosure
NewerTech MiniStack w/ Seagate 7200.8 250GB HD.
resuna

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Two USB out? Reply with quote

spoonman wrote:
Well.... some KVMs don't let the function keys work.
USB ones? I've never seen a fully USB KVM that didn't just act like a switching hub. Most PS/2 or USB-PS/2 ones have a keyboard emulator in them, but USB-USB is just a pass-through: I've stuck a USB webcam on the "mouse" port of one and it worked fine.
resuna

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Pretty hefty price, now I've looked around for it. Reply with quote

Googling around I've found 5 switches with comparable specs, including one from Belkin, for $36-$50. $50-$64 is a bit much to pay for 6 front-panel switches and a white box.

I think I might just make my Mac mini LRF-compatible for cooling and blow off the fancy stacking.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Pretty hefty price, now I've looked around for it. Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
Googling around I've found 5 switches with comparable specs, including one from Belkin, for $36-$50. $50-$64 is a bit much to pay for 6 front-panel switches and a white box.

I think I might just make my Mac mini LRF-compatible for cooling and blow off the fancy stacking.

But do they have the cool buttons! Wink
lacus_odii

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Check the Internet Reply with quote

Look around at reviews of other Belkin KVMs, which likely this is the same thing in a different case. The features are all the same.

There are all kinds of reported problems with Belkin USB KVMs. Irritating mouse latency, not all buttons working on the keyboard/mouse, etc. It's not an ordinary KVM, it's a mini-computer that routes USB signals.

I will be waiting for a good review before I buy one of these. I'd already have owned a Belkin KVM (good featureset) if I hadn't read all the negative reviews about them. I'd rather have one that integrates with the Mini form factor, hopefully they have eliminated the problems.
ianbelcher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: A question Reply with quote

Anybody know if this thing will support Apple flat panels with the ADC?
1GB RAM
Dual Boot W/Yellow Dog Linux
resuna

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: A question Reply with quote

ianbelcher wrote:
Anybody know if this thing will support Apple flat panels with the ADC?

It's VGA, it only switches the analog signals. So you'd have to have something to convert VGA analog to DVI or ADC on the monitor side. I think you'd be better off with a DVI switch box, honestly.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a page for the Flip on Belkin's site?
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: