123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Intros Safari for Windows
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
castaway

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
I wished they released some upgraded HARDWARE instead of putting effort in trying to convert windows users... Sad BTW It messed my sons XP game machine, Safari did not start up but got a failure-message. It did not want to get de-installed either, on a old Athlon 900. Crapware!

I think this was more about getting Safari in the hands of Windows developers for the iPhone. Time might prove me wrong, but I don't think this will bring over many switchers. If anything, it sort of sends the message to stay in place. We are bringing more software over to your platform.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

castaway wrote:
James T Kirk wrote:
I wished they released some upgraded HARDWARE instead of putting effort in trying to convert windows users... Sad BTW It messed my sons XP game machine, Safari did not start up but got a failure-message. It did not want to get de-installed either, on a old Athlon 900. Crapware!

I think this was more about getting Safari in the hands of Windows developers for the iPhone. Time might prove me wrong, but I don't think this will bring over many switchers. If anything, it sort of sends the message to stay in place. We are bringing more software over to your platform.

Yeaah, what about bringing Leopard to the PC Razz . If so I would buy myself a nice Core2Duo machine in aluminium with silent cooling/watercooling TOMORROW. I'm so tired of waiting WWAD (WhatWillAppleDo) I'm waiting for a core2mini with more upgrades since january '07...
Soundman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:

Maybe there was another factor... I think it¬īs called "windows" Very Happy

2. Apple Mac mini 1,66 Ghz 1 GB Ram Combodrive

Samsung SyncMaster 225BW 22" LCD
Samsung LE-40F71 40" LCD TV

Yes, my english sucks Very Happy
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people have to realize that this is a beta release and there are going problems. That being said, stuff like this is what makes me cringe. I just don't think this was a good idea for Apple with everything they have on their plate right now.

By the way, here is some reading material for you James T. Wink
hal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Boooh Reply with quote

I instantly installed Safari yesterday after the keynote on my WinXP Mac Mini. The WWDC was disappointing in my eyes but this announcement at the end was really - wow!

The first thing: I wanted to change window size and got angry - its not windows-style (changing at every border) but like on Mac (changing only in the right bottom corner). I mean it meant no problem to me - I know Mac OS X. But Windows users will hate it. Is this the way Apple means apps should work intuitively?

Under german WinXP (sorry my bad english Confused) bold and italic text didnt show up. Its only a localization problem, it works under US WinXP - so never mind.

But the next thing. Its awfully slow. And its buggy.

I have to say its absolutely true what others have already written in other forums: Mozilla, Opera would publish such quality as Alpha but not as Beta.

Of course you all are right: Maybe Safari on Win is primarily for IPhone developers and it war just a PR gag.

But then the presentation wasnt as clever as thought. It was presendet in Microsoft-way (we are better, faster, sexier) and now we see it is Software the Microsoft-way.

Shame on you, Steve. You dont have time to bring Leopard in Spring (OK, Iphone isnt a bad reason) but you have time to bring Safari to Windows?

I want Leopard. And I want a Mac Mini change in the shop. If not some small upgrades I would expect Apple to lower prices.

I mean: They are selling machines of Sept/06 for prices 1 year old. But Steve has no time either therefore ...

hal
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I think people have to realize that this is a beta release and there are going problems. That being said, stuff like this is what makes me cringe. I just don't think this was a good idea for Apple with everything they have on their plate right now.

By the way, here is some reading material for you James T. Wink

I've read the comments and I have to agree. Still, Steve should have updates the mini by now...
heavy_nutz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I've read the comments and I have to agree. Still, Steve should have updates the mini by now...

it isnt going to be updated, im so tired of these posts now
Top 25 Poster
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heavy_nutz wrote:

it isnt going to be updated, im so tired of these posts now

You have personal inside information we don't have? I'm not talking about the rumoursites...
Mac Migs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Shapeshifter with Beta Safari... Reply with quote

For some reason my Shapeshifter theme doesn't work with Safari after I installed this new Beta version of Safari. I don't have it excluded in the System Prefs of Shapeshifter either. Anyone have any thoughts....???
Glenn
News Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Apple Releases Safari Beta 3.0.1 for Windows

"The Safari 3 Public Beta was released on June 11 for Mac OS X and Windows XP/Vista. This beta software is for trial purposes and intended to gather feedback prior to a full release. As with all our products, we encourage security researchers to report issues to product-security@apple.com.

Safari 3.0.1 Public Beta for Windows is now available and addresses the following issues in Safari 3 Public Beta:

CVE-ID: CVE-2007-3186
Available for: Windows XP or Vista
Impact: Visiting a malicious website may lead to arbitrary code execution
Description: A command injection vulnerability exists in the Windows version of Safari 3 Public Beta. By enticing a user to visit a maliciously crafted web page, an attacker can trigger the issue which may lead to arbitrary code execution. This update addresses the issue by performing additional processing and validation of URLs. This does not pose a security issue on Mac OS X systems, but could lead to an unexpected termination of the Safari browser.

CVE-ID: CVE-2007-3185
Impact: Visiting a malicious website may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution
Description: An out-of-bounds memory read issue in Safari 3 Public Beta for Windows may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution when visiting a malicious website. This issue does not affect Mac OS X systems.

CVE-ID: CVE-2007-2391
Impact: Visiting a malicious website may allow cross-site scripting
Description: A race condition in Safari 3 Public Beta for Windows may allow cross site scripting. Visiting a maliciously crafted web page may allow access to JavaScript objects or the execution of arbitrary JavaScript in the context of another web page. This issue does not affect Mac OS X systems.

The update is available via the "Apple Software Update" application, which is installed with the most recent version of QuickTime or iTunes on Windows. Safari 3.0.1 Public Beta for Windows is also available via Apple's Safari download site."
myminirocks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I held off for a few days waiting for the 1millions dowloads and 10,000 bugs to be fixed and 3.01 to be released but from everything I can read this update is pretty good (unless you are silly enough to own a windose machine and are trailing the windose release Laughing)

So I d/l it about 1hr ago and have not had a single hitch and definitely experienced some serious speed improvements.

So far, love it!
Elgato EyeTV Diversity
16G iPhone 3G
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running 3.0.1 on an XP laptop. I'm using a slow internet connection right now. Now that I have Safari running my pages load up incredibly fast. I find it difficult to believe how much faster it is over Explorer and Firefox.

The check spelling as you type feature doesn't seem to work though.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I find it difficult to believe how much faster it is over Explorer and Firefox.

What are the specs of this machine? I installed it on an old Pentium M laptop running XP, and find it to be a little on the slow side. It also loads up really slow. No problems with rendering or crashing though.

By the way, I can't get the check spelling as you type feature to work either.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
I find it difficult to believe how much faster it is over Explorer and Firefox.

What are the specs of this machine? I installed it on an old Pentium M laptop running XP, and find it to be a little on the slow side. It also loads up really slow. No problems with rendering or crashing though.

By the way, I can't get the check spelling as you type feature to work either.

HP Laptop
Intel Pentium M 1.73GHz 512MB RAM
XP SP2
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

HP Laptop
Intel Pentium M 1.73GHz 512MB RAM
XP SP2

I have basically the same specs, but with a 1.6GHz Pentium M.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: