123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils Near Final Mac OS X Leopard
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Apple Unveils Near Final Mac OS X Leopard Reply with quote

Apple Unveils Near Final Mac OS X Leopard
Monday, June 11, 2007
Posted by: Charles

Apple today unveiled a near final version of Mac OS X Leopard, the sixth major release of the "world's most advanced operating system". Scheduled to ship in October for $129, Leopard introduces over 300 new features, including a new Desktop and Dock with Stacks, an intuitive new way to organize files; an updated Finder featuring Cover Flow and a new way to easily browse and share files between multiple Macs; Quick Look, a new way to rapidly preview most files without opening an application; Time Machine, a new way to easily and automatically back up and restore lost files or a complete Mac; Spaces, a powerful new feature to create groups of applications and instantly switch between them; and enhanced iChat and Mail applications, which easily allow users to communicate even more creatively.

Read more

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/668.html
DCGuy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kick Ass!
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... will Leopard run on a Mac mini G4 / 1.42 GHz with 1 GiB of RAM, or not?

P.S.: all the form widgets are now messed up on Safari 3. It seems, from my very limited tests, that assigning a background color disables the "gelly bean" style for buttons.
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leopard really does look convincing, I guess i'm going to have to see in October.

Yvan, my buttons are now different also, but it doesn't bother me that much.
johnodd4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far the beta version's of leopard support the g4 and g5 line of powerpc processors but you need a 800mhz g4 processor or faster processor to run the mac osx leopard features.

Kinda nice but sad for g3 owners.

Apples supply base for mac os x tiger has been great because it supports the g3 processor and a lot of photographers still use g3 laptops to edit photos on the fly i would think apple would like to keep them happy
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the number of G3 users out there won't affect Apple's market for Leopard.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front Row 2.0 looks like the Apple TV interface now. It might be time to sell my upgraded Apple TV and buy a refurbished mini. I'm still worried that Apple might discontinue the mini and I would rather have another mini.
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
Front Row 2.0 looks like the Apple TV interface now. It might be time to sell my upgraded Apple TV and buy a refurbished mini. I'm still worried that Apple might discontinue the mini and I would rather have another mini.

There is nothing wrong with having two. If you can get good money for your upgraded Apple TV, I would definitely get another mini. It could easily take t he place of your current Apple TV.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyPod wrote:
There is nothing wrong with having two. If you can get good money for your upgraded Apple TV, I would definitely get another mini. It could easily take t he place of your current Apple TV.

True, but I'm missing out on Safari, Mail and Joost.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the new Desktop, Stacks, Dock, and Menu Bar. Very cool looking! Cool
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
So... will Leopard run on a Mac mini G4 / 1.42 GHz with 1 GiB of RAM, or not?

P.S.: all the form widgets are now messed up on Safari 3. It seems, from my very limited tests, that assigning a background color disables the "gelly bean" style for buttons.
johnodd4 wrote:
So far the beta version's of leopard support the g4 and g5 line of powerpc processors but you need a 800mhz g4 processor or faster processor to run the mac osx leopard features.

Kinda nice but sad for g3 owners.

Apples supply base for mac os x tiger has been great because it supports the g3 processor and a lot of photographers still use g3 laptops to edit photos on the fly i would think apple would like to keep them happy
So it runs. But on the G4 Mac Minis, that don't support Core Image and therefor Core Animation, will Core Animation specific apps (Stacks, Time Machine, Spaces, developer created apps.) run on the machine?

Or am I taking it wrong that since it (the G4 Mac Mini) doesn't support Core Image and Core Animation.. it won't support the eye candy of those apps. Or not even run some of them?
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Or am I taking it wrong that since it (the G4 Mac Mini) doesn't support Core Image and Core Animation.. it won't support the eye candy of those apps. Or not even run some of them?

I would guess those features will work, but without the animation. An example of this would be the ripple effect in the Dashboard. You are still able to drop the widget, but you don't see the ripple.
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:

I think Ben_tex is right about Core Image and Animation. You might still be able to run the apps, but you wont get the cool so called "eye candy" that accumulate with the specific application.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm excited about the "back to my mac" function. Now .Mac is finally worth buying if I can handshake and view my files anywhere on the planet. This all could be done before but now it seems easy for anyone and secure.
johnodd4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well did anyone read the information on leopard on apples web page.

for the latest developer beta you need windows xp or vista in order to install the devlopers version of leopard do to boot camp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: