123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Parallels Desktop 3 Released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rando1968

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Parallels Desktop 3 Released Reply with quote

Randy[/quote]
Usage of bootcamp partition should be possible. But why don't you simply go to their website, dl the app, ask a trial serial, RTFM and find out what is possible?[/quote]
I guess im worried about messing up my current system, id hate to DL the demo and have it format over my Windows partition or something.

Randy
MrMac

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Parallels Desktop 3 Released Reply with quote

rando1968 wrote:
I guess im worried about messing up my current system, id hate to DL the demo and have it format over my Windows partition or something.
Randy

It is not a demo! It is the actual product! And (if needed) you can get a trial SN.

Anyway, just backup first your system and you have nothing to worry about.
zuzu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

islandsnow wrote:
Sparkstack wrote:
islandsnow wrote:
dang it, i just bought parallels desktop for mac the other day. i don't suppose they would do a free upgrade or trade in. Mad

Read this

whew, thanks... doesn't look people are able to download it yet though

I'm in the same situation. According to this:

If you purchased Parallels Desktop after May 1st 2007, you automatically qualify for a free downloadable upgrade to Parallels Desktop for Mac 3.0. To request your free download click here.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Parallels Desktop 3 Release Reply with quote

Well I downloaded the trial, after futzin around a bit I got it to work although I cant get my USB or my Firewire to work through windows also I cant get sound on the windows side. Promising though. oh yeah I also cant get a dual windows display.

Randy
MrMac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Parallels Desktop 3 Release Reply with quote

rando1968 wrote:
Well I downloaded the trial, after futzin around a bit I got it to work although I cant get my USB or my Firewire to work through windows also I cant get sound on the windows side. Promising though. oh yeah I also cant get a dual windows display.

Randy

Check the preferences of Parallels & Settings of the VM (View customize, Edit VM)). I suggust that you RTFM _before_ making _any_ changes!
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Parallels Desktop 3 Release Reply with quote

MrMac,
As much as I appreciate your participation on the forum, I do have two requests.

Firstly, don't overuse "RTFM" - How about "Consult the help file" or "refer to the manual"? "RTFM" is a bit more insulting than the usual language used on 123MacMini.com.

On a related note, if you're going to post, try to offer some tangible help. Telling someone to check the preferences and read the manual is hardly being helpful. I assume all of our members are smart enough to at least try that. If you can lead them in the right direction, such as "USB devices can be activated while running a VM by clicking the little USB icon in the lower right of the window, and selecting the device you want available to the VM". Direct responses to people's questions are going to make your answers a lot more useful.
MrMac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Parallels Desktop 3 Release Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
As much as I appreciate your participation on the forum, I do have two requests..

I can agree with you for a long way but would like to add that it is very frustrating to see people ask question and to conclude that they (apparently) have not taken any time to "consult the helpfile".
rando1968

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Parallels Desktop 3 Released Reply with quote

uh yeah 2 things first of all understand that not everyone knows what RTFM means. 2nd if it bothers you that much then dont reply.

Randy
gstein

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Parallels 3.0 vs V3188 Reply with quote

I am currently using Parallels 3188 and from the description at Parallels web site on 3.0 I already have these features. What would I be missing by not buying 3.0? Everything I have works great on Parallels. I use the PC side for my computerized sewing/embroidery machine software and Corel. I hate to upgrade and then not have some things work. Thank,

GStein
MrMac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Parallels 3.0 vs V3188 Reply with quote

gstein wrote:
What would I be missing by not buying 3.0?

For me following were the main reasons to upgrade:

- It has cost me only 33 Dollars (why, I do not know)
- The Explorer so that you can "explore" the disks of a VM and make changes.
- start windows appa directly from the OSX desktop.
- ability to open Mac files in Windows app and viceversa.
and
- It has cost me only 33 Dollars (why, I do not know).

There are more advantages like 3D and so but I don't play games.

Also, I have no believe that OSX will integrate the running of Windows like Parallels does.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally did get my upgrade activation key, and I installed 3.0. I don't notice any speed difference, but I can now print from the PC side using my Brother laserjet printer. Perhaps my settings were wrong in the previous version of Parallels, but this version does advertise better printer connection. I'm glad I bought it.
Busta123

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoo whoo

Paid the upgrade to 3.0

Spent part of yesterday building a basic working XP SP2 with AVG and Firefox and archived as a base for other images. Then archived it off

Then built a Video Editing version of it with Vegas Video 5, with assorted video/audio and graphics tools I commonly use.

Tried a test editing session and it seems to work fine an render pretty quick. (I just wish I could get a second monitor on my mini and all would be perfect.)

Oh also ran up one image for Starcraft and it certainly looks very good indeed.

Have found a few little quirky bits, ie I play mp3s in the VM when my display goes to sleep (set under power saving) it stops the MP3 from playing. (I need to see if it is cutting power to the LCD speakers, so it won't be related to the VM - I'll check)

Anyway so far I am VERY impressed with Parallels indeed.

Anyone know where I can get an Ubuntu with Beryl Parallels image?
MacMini Intel * 2x20" InteliMacs * 2xMBPs 13" * 1TB TC * 8GB iPhone * 16GB iPhone 3G * 30GB iPod Video * 2GB Nano (NetPlayers /Sounbridges /Win7 / 4TB NasLite / 4TB FreeNAS / 4 TB Thecus 4100+/ 4 TB DAS)
MrMac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busta123 wrote:
Anyone know where I can get an Ubuntu with Beryl Parallels image?

Don't know what you mean with "... Beryl ..." but here you can either download a large number of Linux images or get them on CD/DVD:

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=4065&highlight=download+ubuntu
Busta123

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MrMac

I had tried that but I wanted to get the most up to date Ubuntu with the new graphical UI Beryl. I have seen on other sites that they have managed to do it but it can get a bit of a struggle on a MacMini/Parallels.

I am installing Ubuntu 7.04 into Parallels so we shall see. I want to use the Parallels as a sandbox for the native Ubuntu boxes in the house, ie learn in Parallels what is easy/hard or even dangerous, that way I can be pretty sure about what I am doing before I touch a live machine.

I'll get it running then share it.

M
MacMini Intel * 2x20" InteliMacs * 2xMBPs 13" * 1TB TC * 8GB iPhone * 16GB iPhone 3G * 30GB iPod Video * 2GB Nano (NetPlayers /Sounbridges /Win7 / 4TB NasLite / 4TB FreeNAS / 4 TB Thecus 4100+/ 4 TB DAS)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: