123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tips for opening up the mini for a RAM upgrade
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
livatlantis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Tips for opening up the mini for a RAM upgrade Reply with quote

I'm going to be upgrading my mini's RAM (currently a standard 1.42GHz) soon; tips from those of us who've already succeeded in opening up a mini. Which putty knife did you use? Any special caution areas?

I've downloaded the Smashsworld video, but can't get to the "complete technical pdf". It'd be really great if someone could help me out with that as well Smile

Thanks.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for opening up the mini for a RAM upgrade Reply with quote

livatlantis wrote:
I'm going to be upgrading my mini's RAM (currently a standard 1.42GHz) soon; tips from those of us who've already succeeded in opening up a mini. Which putty knife did you use? Any special caution areas?

I've downloaded the Smashsworld video, but can't get to the "complete technical pdf". It'd be really great if someone could help me out with that as well Smile

Thanks.

Buy a standard 1.5" putty knife. It can be cheap, but look for ones with a beveled edge, I think that's the right term. It should narrow to a point to work well. Also, make sure you minimize inserting it with the corners, because I bent the corners of my putty knife and they scratched up all the white plastic inside. You can't tell outside, but it'd be hard to get Apple to believe I never opened the case.

Make sure your putty knife isn't a stiff one, you want it pretty flexible. When you put the putty knife in, it'll just stop and it won't go down any farther. It's only like a cm or so down. Then just push the putty knife to the outside until you hear a crack and it moves. It's going to feel like you're breaking it; this is why it took me an hour to open it. I was scared of breaking the thing.

It should be quick to open: Stick putty knife in to where it stops, push putty handle to the outside until it open. The aluminum casing will also look like it's bending, but it'll be fine.

There you go! Cool
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
livatlantis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks! Smile

I wonder if shops around here will understand what a 1.5" beveled putty knife is... or have it at all. Guess I'll have to do some hunting Wink

Thanks for the tips about the flexibility and avoiding bent corners. Two heads up that should save me some sweat. That part about pushing it outside so it seems as if it's going to break sounds scary. What if it DOES break? There's not a single Apple repair centre in this country! lol Especially for the mini...

Thanks again. If there's anything else, I'd love to know! Wink
fullroast

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I just opened my Mac Mini for the first time a few days ago to upgrade the memory. It is a scary process. I did as Susurrus described, but I was not pushing out far enough the first several times I tried. I finally pushed enough and the retention tabs released. Once you done have it and know what to expect, opening the Mac mini is not a big deal.

Hope it goes well, and that you find a putty knife (also called a paint scraper). I am not sure what other tool would work. It needs to be very thin, with a sharp edge. If you are careful, you can open the case with no marks at all.

Oh, I did find this link that shows how to open the case with wires. I looked at it, but I already owned two putty knives and went that route. Smile
TheModWiki.org

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend, just for the very first time opening your mini, that you wrap up the sides of the mini in electrical tape... or something that comes off easily while providing protection incase your putty knife slips
Maxtor 300GB Ext. FW
Pioneer DVR-K05 SD

www.PaulStamatiou.com , 9rules Network
idave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheModWiki.org wrote:
I recommend, just for the very first time opening your mini, that you wrap up the sides of the mini in electrical tape... or something that comes off easily while providing protection incase your putty knife slips

That's pretty good advice. Putting a piece of masking tape down the bottom metal edge keeps it from getting scratched. The key is getting a sharp putty knife to separate the plastic from the metal without having to wiggle it around much. Someone on here even recommend a pizza cutter. Very Happy
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
blackjaw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my problem was that the slot to put the paint scraper in was so small that i had to make a mark in order to fit the thing inside...while it is a small mark (just where i jammed the scraper in) and you can barely tell its there
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gap between the white plastic and silver metal was very tight. I had to sand down the blade to a really sharp edge before it would fit in. It left a few marks, but they're on the bottom. Who cares about that? Also had a problem lining up those metal tabs on the back. I couldn't get the back panel flush with the metal. It took me like 3-4 tries. I finally realized I bent one of those tabs and it was throwing everything off. I straightened it out with a jeweler's screwdriver and it popped right back together.
livatlantis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips.

All this probably means I'm going to have to get a VERY sharp edge. It does seem... well, for now, a daunting task to open. A Mac dealer here (not authorized by Apple, of course) said they had 'engineers' who could do the upgrade. Don't know if I trust them, but I'll go have a talk anyway.

Anyway, I was curious. What's the best way to reassemble after installing the RAM? (It would have sounded weird if I said "Put the lid back on" lol) Wink
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Line everything up and put your hands around both sides of the case and squeeze hard. You can place it on a table and press down on it, to get some weight behind it. The key is to evenly distribute the weight so it snaps back together without leaving one side lopsided. Not sure if that makes sense.
TheModWiki.org

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and like that Other World Computing video showed... put a cloth down so you don't scratch the front of the mini...

http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/index.cfm?page=Video/mini/med.html
Maxtor 300GB Ext. FW
Pioneer DVR-K05 SD

www.PaulStamatiou.com , 9rules Network
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheModWiki.org wrote:
and like that Other World Computing video showed... put a cloth down so you don't scratch the front of the mini...

http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/index.cfm?page=Video/mini/med.html

Yes, put a cloth down! We've got to cradle our babies. My top is getting scratched up from CD's, iPod, and car keys. I have a bad habit of laying things on top of it! Mad

Can I use this excuse for buying a new one next week? Laughing
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely use a cloth. The blade for the putty knife doesn't need to be that sharp. Mine I used just how I bought it, it's barely tapered at the end (that should be a more correct word than beveled) and I just went to work. If you find it hard to get the knife in the other side once you get one side popped out, just work along the side of the Mini opening it up wherever there is enough room. That was easier for me to do because I was sick of trying to jam my knife in where there's no space.

About their "engineers," if they guarantee their work, then it might be worth it if it costs $20 or so, but otherwise I would just skip them and do it yourself.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
livatlantis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the OWC video. Downloading it...

I guess I'll have to use some lint-free cloth, then. Thanks for the tip. The top of the mini does seem easy to scratch.

Susurrus, thanks. I think I have a better idea about getting the top out by pressing out on loose areas.

devo... another mini!? Noooooo *gets jealous* Get a cat instead. Rolling Eyes Equal distribution of weight. I'll remember that.

Thanks all for the great tips. Smile I'm that much more closer to a more confident opening of the mini (lol sounds like some ritual, no?)

Next week, I'll post again about how it goes Wink
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the metal tabs that are above the ports on the back on the actual case are lined up. Mine got bent or something so they need to be pushed back inside every time I put the case back on. It's not hard, though, I just use my putty knife to push them in.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: