123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Camino 1.5 Released
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Camino 1.5 Released Reply with quote

Camino 1.5 Released
Tuesday, June 5, 2007
Posted by: Glenn

The Camino Project has released Camino 1.5, the Mozilla-derived free web browser specifically for Mac OS X. This release now displays web pages with Gecko 1.8.1, the same rendering engine used by the popular Firefox 2 web browser. Other new features and improvements include built-in spell checking in all text fields (utilizing Mac OS X's built-in spell checker), RSS feed detection, session saving, and improvements with tabbed browsing. A full list of features and improvements can be found here. Camino 1.5 requires Mac OS X 10.3 or later and 50 MB free hard drive space.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/663.html
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the way it handles RSS by sending it off to an external app. Spellling cheecck is good though. Wink
dirtychinchilla

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only used camino because I was forced to use web messenger which was rubbish in safari. I switched to firefox a couple of days ago and I'm far happier. Camino just generally annoyed me too, and I liked the higher level integration with safari. Safe to say, I won't be getting this
DMXell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think of Camino like this:

It may be for Mac's, but you know, all in all, it's still Firefox. Still that lack luster rendering engine, still has a lack of features and is still incredibly slow. Mozilla never spits out anything worthwhile, their source code is a useless pile of coding, and since that's in Camino the same applies for it. Just stick to Safari, Opera, Omniweb, or Shiira and you'll have a better browsing experience than some crappy Firefox mod.
ArsenicPants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMXell wrote:

It may be for Mac's, but you know, all in all, it's still Firefox. Still that lack luster rendering engine, still has a lack of features and is still incredibly slow. Mozilla never spits out anything worthwhile, their source code is a useless pile of coding, and since that's in Camino the same applies for it. Just stick to Safari, Opera, Omniweb, or Shiira and you'll have a better browsing experience than some crappy Firefox mod.

Camino has always been faster than Safari for me, i don't know what your big gripe with it is

on a similar note, anyone think the new start page is ass–ugly?
D444niel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried it, hated it. Gone back to Firefox 2.x Cool

Too much spec to add here ....
Soundman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sucks,

Why can´t everyone run the same browser and all see websites same way.

Just have som plugins for doze that want extra.

Firefox Rules Very Happy

2. Apple Mac mini 1,66 Ghz 1 GB Ram Combodrive

Samsung SyncMaster 225BW 22" LCD
Samsung LE-40F71 40" LCD TV

Yes, my english sucks Very Happy
DMXell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArsenicPants wrote:
DMXell wrote:

Camino has always been faster than Safari for me, i don't know what your big gripe with it is

Yeah, the boot time is tons faster than Firefox, but the rendering engine is the same and it lacks features, plus it has the same security flaws as Firefox basically. It fails, just the same as Firefox.

Soundman: I hate to burst your bubble, but Firefox doesn't rule. Though I'm curious, why do you like it? Opera beats out Firefox on everything I've heard people say so far, so I'm interested in what you have to say.
DCGuy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even CAMINO gets an update, and not MAC MINI.

You all know what that means.....
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCGuy wrote:
Even CAMINO gets an update, and not MAC MINI.

You all know what that means.....

Mac mini G5 next tuesday? Wink
Soundman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMXell wrote:
ArsenicPants wrote:
DMXell wrote:

Yeah, the boot time is tons faster than Firefox, but the rendering engine is the same and it lacks features, plus it has the same security flaws as Firefox basically. It fails, just the same as Firefox.

Soundman: I hate to burst your bubble, but Firefox doesn't rule. Though I'm curious, why do you like it? Opera beats out Firefox on everything I've heard people say so far, so I'm interested in what you have to say.

I like opera also.

It works alot better, but alot of scripts that works with other browsers dosen´t work with Opera.

That really sad. In every other way Opera is greatly faster.

But FF manages most scripts AND more and more is using FF.

Both Windows and Mac users likes FF.
Opera issent as known as FF.

But my orginal comment is that it should be one browser that all can use on every platform in any application.

I think FF is a good choose in this case.

I have IE, FF, Opera and Safari to use. People should not have to know what browser is the best. It sholud just work.

2. Apple Mac mini 1,66 Ghz 1 GB Ram Combodrive

Samsung SyncMaster 225BW 22" LCD
Samsung LE-40F71 40" LCD TV

Yes, my english sucks Very Happy
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soundman wrote:
I have IE, FF, Opera and Safari to use. People should not have to know what browser is the best. It sholud just work.

Yes, it should just work. Tell that to the webmasters, 99% of the websites on the net are broken and do not follow the web standards.
DMXell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
Soundman wrote:

Yes, it should just work. Tell that to the webmasters, 99% of the websites on the net are broken and do not follow the web standards.

That's why I love iWeb, it's designed using WebCore as its base (same as Safari) which basically means that the pages done in iWeb are 100% web standards compliant.

Soundman: If we were to pick a browser that everyone should use, it would most surely not be Firefox. There are too many security flaws in it to be used purely. Not to mention the RAM leak, what would happen to the One Laptop Per Child people? They'd have no browser, but not only because of the RAM leak, but also because of how big Firefox is in size (Opera is, afterall, the smallest full featured browser). Firefox just isn't good and compatible with enough computers to be a standard.

Also, which scripts don't work in Opera? I've found none that can't be bypassed by masking Opera as Firefox or IE. Firefox, on the other hand, I have found scripting flaws. Why should I have to refresh the web page on a forum just to get the entire past and the "Reply" button at the bottom? I shouldn't, but Firefox makes me (this is the latest release I am talking about too).
cuvtixo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Firefox rules Reply with quote

Boot time? What are you smoking? Laughing Easy to solve that making it a startup item and by keeping it on all the time. Rendering Engine? Are all of you reading non-Western fonts regularly or do you mean what used to be called the layout-engine?
Personally I don't think those of you who criticize Firefox don't understand how Open Source works. M$ could crush Opera on the desktop tomorrow- and you can blame a lot of the already broken non-complaint web on Microsoft and the illegal abuse of their monopoly position in crushing Netscape.

Any of you Firefox haters ever heard of "Worse is Better" in old C vs LISP discussions? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worse_is_better When Opera goes open source I'll switch and even recommend it to others. Until then, As a user I love the (free!) Firefox add-ons, themes, mods (including optimizations for G4 AND G3 bon-echo builds)

And one-laptop per child? DOOMED!- A bunch of big-ego academics trying to foist a solution on people who aren't asking for it? Not likely to do much of anything other than create a small black market in underpowered laptops.
DMXell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a Firefox hater, in fact, I love open source. I love those apps like Adium, OpenOffice, GIMP, Audacity, and even the Planeshift game is okay. My main gripe with Firefox isn't the browser itself, the browser has great potential. What mainly annoys me about it is all the Firefox fanboy's the spread lies about it. No it wasn't the first tabbed browser, no it's not the fastest browser, no it's not the most secure browser, while it may be more web standard compliant than IE it's not the best overall (I've heard some fanboy's say that), no it wasn't the first browser to have extensions, need I go on? The lies spread about it are phenomenal, and people still use the thing believing that and telling those same lies to other people.

The only real plus to it is it being open source, and even then that presents a problem. Normally open source is extremely good, we love it, but in a web browser where people can easily gain access to your computer, it's not. Because people can view the source it's far easier to a) hack someone using the browser or b) write an extension that exploits these security flaws.

I love Firefox in a sense that it has potential, I'm just mainly annoyed by the lies told by its users to try and get more people to switch to it even though all those people find is a [currently] sub-par browser that could quite possibly be slower than their previous browser.

PS: Why'd you make a big emphasis on free Firefox addons? Opera's and IEs are also free, and some of Safari's as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: