123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Briefly: iPhone coming June 29th, new ads posted
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Briefly: iPhone coming June 29th, new ads posted Reply with quote

Briefly: iPhone coming June 29th, new ads posted
Sunday, June 3, 2007
Posted by: Charles

Well, it's official folks. The iPhone is coming on June 29th. Apple and AT&T started running a new series of commercials on TV this evening touting the device and its launch date. Apple also posted these same ads on their website. The ads are entitled "Never Been an iPod", "How To" and "Calamari". It should be noted that the ads also mention, "Use requires minimum new 2 year activation plan". So what do you think of the new ads? Will you be an iPhone user come July?

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/660.html
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calamari is my favorite. The Never Been an iPod one is sort of strange. It almost sends the message that the iPod has been retired.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: well Reply with quote

After I get a MacBook I think this will be a good Christmas present since this December is when my parent's Verizon contract expires and out land line is a AT&T and my mom can get a discount through the hospital she works at (Belleville Memorial Hospital ER tech) along with my sister (IS department night shift for now, not bad for a job right out of college though and with full benefits). I'll be needing a cellphone though next year when I get my license so there's an excuse, I mean reason to get one. I just hope they have LOTS of rebates on them.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
johnodd4

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no no no no no no no no!!!!!

Here is why.

Before cingular became cingular it was originally at&t wireless and what happened to at&t wireless they went backrupt and left 100's of cell phone users without service and dead cellphones did they get punished no did they get to keep the money from peoples contracts yes.

And now cingular gets repurchased by at&t wireless and they will start all over again and go bankrupt and mess over thousands of customers

untill the iphone is realeased to t-mobile or verizon or sprint im not interrested.
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me, or does the iPhone look smaller? Maybe the hand model just has big hands. Laughing
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmen65 wrote:
Is it just me, or does the iPhone look smaller? Maybe the hand model just has big hands. Laughing

George Costanza, maybe? Razz

I migrated from AT&T Wireless (who I'd been with for ten or more years) to Cingular--I've always had good service, despite the horror stories you hear. I get my contract through a deal at work, so maybe that helps.

Definitely getting an iPhone at some point, though probably not right away.

Smile

Jamie
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: hand models Reply with quote

The iPhone is supposed to have a 3.5" screen so it'll be the same size of any Pocket PC.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: hand models Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
The iPhone is supposed to have a 3.5" screen so it'll be the same size of any Pocket PC.

Or have the same screen size as a PSP.

Right when the iPhone came out, I wanted one really bad. Now, I don't think it's worth it. My iPod Nano and iPod Mini work just fine, and I use my new PSP for everything else. Though my phone sucks, it serves its purpose just fine.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the coolest looking gadget ever, but the price and AT&T contract are deal breakers for me. I'll probably own one down the line though. I'd also like to hear about one of the major unknowns. Battery life anyone?
iLife's a Bitch!
heavy_nutz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnodd4 wrote:
Before cingular became cingular it was originally at&t wireless and what happened to at&t wireless they went backrupt and left 100's of cell phone users without service and dead cellphones did they get punished no did they get to keep the money from peoples contracts yes.

And now cingular gets repurchased by at&t wireless and they will start all over again and go bankrupt and mess over thousands of customers

untill the iphone is realeased to t-mobile or verizon or sprint im not interrested.

Wow you are back to the forum and wrong already. I was an att wireless customer and they were bought out from cingular. Nobody lost service and no cell phones died. Apple signed a contract will cingular(att) to have the iphone EXCLUSIVE and it will not show up on any other carriers. get your facts straight before you post
Top 25 Poster
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are way too many unknowns (like battery life g5g5) for me to be a buyer now. The limited about of memory isn't doing much for me either. I would want one with at least 16GB. I'm hoping the 6G iPod has many of these same features minus the phone. If it doesn't, I might be a 2G iPhone buyer. I'm already with AT&T, so that's no biggie.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: mhmm Reply with quote

devo wrote:
There are way too many unknowns (like battery life g5g5) for me to be a buyer now. The limited about of memory isn't doing much for me either. I would want one with at least 16GB. I'm hoping the 6G iPod has many of these same features minus the phone. If it doesn't, I might be a 2G iPhone buyer. I'm already with AT&T, so that's no biggie.

No the iPhone is shaping up to be as big a success as Zune!! I would like to get an iPhone, but I wish they would make a PDA since having to buy it as a phone really makes some people turn away.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: mhmm Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
No the iPhone is shaping up to be as big a success as Zune!! I would like to get an iPhone, but I wish they would make a PDA since having to buy it as a phone really makes some people turn away.

Not sure that I completely understand the comparison. Devices like the iPhone are the PDAs of the future. I guess you just want one without the phone and data services? I think you best hope is an iPhone like 6G iPod. Apple isn't going to make a standalone PDA. Even Palm is fleeing away from that business.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnodd4 wrote:
Before cingular became cingular it was originally at&t wireless
No, Cingular was the wireless company created jointly by SBC and Bellsouth. AT&T Wireless was a completely separate company, first owned by AT&T, then spun off as a separate corporation in 2000.

johnodd4 wrote:
and what happened to at&t wireless they went backrupt
I assume you mean bankrupt, and no, they didn't. AT&T Wireless was purchased by Cingular in 2004.

johnodd4 wrote:
and left 100's of cell phone users without service and dead cellphones did they get punished no did they get to keep the money from peoples contracts yes.
I haven't heard anything of the sort, nor experienced it myself when my connection moved from AT&T Wireless to Cingular. In fact, the switchover was remarkably smooth. My parents also did the same, and had no trouble.

johnodd4 wrote:
You're wrong on two accounts. Cingular purchased AT&T, not the other way around. Furthermore, AT&T Wireless is not the same as AT&T. AT&T Wireless has been absorbed by Cingular for about 3 years now, and has ceased to exist.

johnodd4 wrote:
Verizon or Sprint just isn't going to happen any time soon. The CDMA/TDMA networks are so vastly different from the GSM networks that Apple would have to re-engineer a large portion of the phone. It's more likely to have T-Mobile or other GSM carriers (including international carriers) than Sprint or Verizon.
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AT&T Wireless Services, Inc., formerly part of AT&T Corp., was a wireless telephone carrier in the United States, based in Redmond, Washington, and traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the stock symbol "AWE".

On October 26, 2004, AT&T Wireless completed a merger with Cingular Wireless to become the largest wireless carrier in the United States. Under the agreement, only the Cingular brand name would remain. On November 16, 2004, AT&T Wireless stores were rechristened under the Cingular banner. The legal entity AT&T Wireless Services, Inc. was renamed New Cingular Wireless Services, Inc.

In late 2005, SBC (the majority partner in Cingular) acquired AT&T Corp., and renamed the combined company AT&T.

AT&T Mobility LLC (usually branded "AT&T" and formerly named Cingular Wireless LLC) is the wholly owned wireless subsidiary of AT&T Inc. AT&T Mobility is the largest mobile phone company in the United States and the second largest in Puerto Rico. AT&T Mobility currently has 62 million subscribers as of 2007, and operates the largest digital voice and data network in the United States.

Formerly a joint venture between SBC Communications and BellSouth, Cingular Wireless soon acquired the old AT&T Wireless; SBC later acquired the original AT&T and rebranded as "the new AT&T". Cingular became wholly-owned by the new AT&T in December 2006 as a result of AT&T's acquisition of BellSouth.

The division is currently in the process of being rebranded to match its new parentage. Renaming on a corporate level occurred immediately, and consumer branding will change to "AT&T," or a variant thereof, by the end of 2007. Until all regulatory filings are approved, however, and public awareness is fostered, the "Cingular" brand will continue to be used in store signage and media advertisements during a dual-branded transition, expected to last several months. This process began January 15, 2007.

All of this is summed up here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: