123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases iTunes 7.2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Apple Releases iTunes 7.2 Reply with quote

Apple Releases iTunes 7.2
Wednesday, April 30, 2007
Posted by: Glenn

Apple has released iTunes 7.2 via Mac OS X's Software Update utility and on the Web. According to the company, iTunes 7.2 allows users to preview and purchase iTunes Plus music - new higher-quality, DRM-free music downloads from participating music labels. Apple also launched iTunes Plus DRM-free music tracks featuring high quality 256 kbps AAC encoding for $1.29 per song. iTunes Plus is launching with EMI's digital catalog of outstanding recordings, including singles and albums from Coldplay, The Rolling Stones, Norah Jones, Frank Sinatra, Joss Stone, Pink Floyd, John Coltrane and more than a dozen of Paul McCartney's classic albums available on iTunes for the first time.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/657.html

Last edited by admin on Wed May 30, 2007 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: woo Reply with quote

It's finally here to hear DRM-free!!
I was waiting to see when they would add this since I got asked to update earlier this morning about 2 hours before it was added.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe average users will now start asking "what is this DRM thing"?

The more people know about it, the more the chances of having it dissapear. When I buy a book, I'm not forced to read it while sitting on a sofa in the living room.

Since a lot of phones now play AAC too, that will also help block the expensive "download-on-the-go" cellphone services. They keep advertising it but they never talk about the price.

Thank you EMI and Apple.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: come on other companies Reply with quote

Now to get the other music companies to follow suit.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no fix for the anti-aliasing bug in CoverFlow. Sad
dirtychinchilla

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no idea what's so good about non-DRM music coz I don't buy any from iTunes, but good for you.

I have already had one problem. It turns out that if you have Uno working on your mac then it will clash with iTunes 7.2. This will be the case until the new Uno comes out. You have to uninstall Uno and then re-install iTunes. I haven't seen what happens if you then re-install iTunes but it certainly needs to be removed for iTunes to work.

Peace
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a step in the right direction. I won't be upgrading or buying any new songs though. It might be wishful thinking, but I think the prices will eventually go down to 99 cents for DRM free tracks. Why? Everything in the iTMS will be DRM free.
iLife's a Bitch!
cuvtixo

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: No no no Reply with quote

The pricing point is aggravating, not a step in the right direction at all. Firstly, I don't believe that any encoding beyond 160 is a significant improvement. I almost always listen to music with ambient noise around anyways, so 128 is fine for me. Amazon is soon to release DRM free music, and I'm sure it will be less than $1.29, maybe less than .99 cents. I'm not interested in iTunes Plus at all. Does 7.2 do anything else? Any other improvements? I would hope so, but maybe not.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: No no no Reply with quote

cuvtixo wrote:
Does 7.2 do anything else? Any other improvements?

iTunesU is new for 7.2.
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:

Totally forgot about this bug. Same, mine still does the same thing. Very, very odd.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: No no no Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
cuvtixo wrote:

iTunesU is new for 7.2.

They also added a convert to Apple TV option.

TyPod wrote:
devo wrote:

Totally forgot about this bug. Same, mine still does the same thing. Very, very odd.

Yeah, I wish they would get around to fixing that one of these days. Sad
heavy_nutz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itunes U would make it so easy to cheat
Top 25 Poster
Dinshaw

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: No no no Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
cuvtixo wrote:

iTunesU is new for 7.2.

I hope Apple continues to build on this new section. It's a fantastic idea, not to mention free. I've been listening to an excellent series from MIT about aircraft systems engineering.
john82

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: No no no Reply with quote

cuvtixo wrote:
The pricing point is aggravating, not a step in the right direction at all. Firstly, I don't believe that any encoding beyond 160 is a significant improvement. I almost always listen to music with ambient noise around anyways, so 128 is fine for me. Amazon is soon to release DRM free music, and I'm sure it will be less than $1.29, maybe less than .99 cents. I'm not interested in iTunes Plus at all. Does 7.2 do anything else? Any other improvements? I would hope so, but maybe not.

first of all i agree there's not much point in encoding in fidelity higher than 128. i can't tell the difference beyond this point and i think most other people can't either. By the way, you can find here tons of jem / ibanez info.

about the price i think $1 per track is maximum they should ask for.
shouldn't be a cent higher.

Johnny from jemsite
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: