123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I watch my homemade videos or ripped DVD on Apple TV?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luan Do

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: How do I watch my homemade videos or ripped DVD on Apple TV? Reply with quote

I'd be very thankful if I can rip my purchased DVDs and watch them with my Apple TV because my 3 kids have already messed up a number of their DVDs by scratching them to death. If Apple TV can let me view DVDs without having to handle physical discs, I'd be so happy.

My questions are: how do I view ripped DVD on ATV? How do I view homemade videos that have been loaded onto iMovie?

I've ripped some DVDs onto my Mac using MTR but don't know how to view them on ATV.

Any help would be appreciated. Othewise, ATV will go back to Apple Store. Thx!!!

By the way, I've paid for my DVDs and I feel that I am entitled to use them in any way I please, as long as I don't steal from anyone. Thank you.
Doug Eldred
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMovie-produced movies should be no problem; ANYTHING you can view in iTunes should be viewable on Apple TV as well, according to what I've read.

I don't have an Apple TV, nor do I plan to get one, so this is just based on what I've read.

Doug
garty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Eldred wrote:
iMovie-produced movies should be no problem; ANYTHING you can view in iTunes should be viewable on Apple TV as well, according to what I've read.

I don't have an Apple TV, nor do I plan to get one, so this is just based on what I've read.

Doug

Thats not necessarily true as iTunes uses quicktime and plugins can enable quicktime to play lots of formats. According to TUAW the rule is 'If it plays on your iPod, it should play on Apple TV, BUT if it plays in iTunes, it doesn't necessarily play on Apple TV.'

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/03/23/apple-tv-review-and-geek-details/
shorafix

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: How do I watch my homemade videos or ripped DVD on Apple Reply with quote

Luan Do wrote:
I'd be very thankful if I can rip my purchased DVDs and watch them with my Apple TV.........

I would be interested in this matter as well. According to schedule my AppleTV should arrive tomorrow and I am eager to see how to get my own content being played through this device.

Moreover, I wonder how it performs playing back video content recorded by a Sony 1080i HDV-Cam and transcoded into H.264. Stay tuned!
tc60045

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I watch my homemade videos or ripped DVD on Apple Reply with quote

Luan Do wrote:

My questions are: how do I view ripped DVD on ATV? How do I view homemade videos that have been loaded onto iMovie?

I've ripped some DVDs onto my Mac using MTR but don't know how to view them on ATV.

Any help would be appreciated. Othewise, ATV will go back to Apple Store. Thx!!!

By the way, I've paid for my DVDs and I feel that I am entitled to use them in any way I please, as long as I don't steal from anyone. Thank you.

Handbrake. I use it all the time to rip legal copies of our DVDs (which I keep away from the kids) and then play back via the mini. They now play back even better via the apple tv.

One setting (not in front of my apple right now) that I always have to set on handbrake is to make the output Mp4 AVC. Front row liked that better when I first tried it a year ago and I just stick to what works. Stick with defaults otherwise. And you'll love it.
Doug Eldred
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garty wrote:
Doug Eldred wrote:

Doug

Thats not necessarily true as iTunes uses quicktime and plugins can enable quicktime to play lots of formats. According to TUAW the rule is 'If it plays on your iPod, it should play on Apple TV, BUT if it plays in iTunes, it doesn't necessarily play on Apple TV.'

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/03/23/apple-tv-review-and-geek-details/

True; I was implicitly talking about iTunes as released by Apple.

Doug
cuvtixo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I watch my homemade videos or ripped DVD on Apple Reply with quote

Quote:
Handbrake. I use it all the time to rip legal copies of our DVDs

The Handbrake.app is now called MediaFork version 0.8.0b1 (Handbrake merged code with the MediaFork app) It's not only free, but also GPL open source Very Happy

http://handbrake.m0k.org/
shorafix

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: How do I watch my homemade videos or ripped DVD on Apple Reply with quote

cuvtixo wrote:
The Handbrake.app is now called MediaFork version 0.8.0b1 (Handbrake merged code with the MediaFork app)
http://handbrake.m0k.org/

That's what I thought too. However, there is a new version of Handbrake HandBrake - 0.8.5b1 available (see http://handbrake.m0k.org/?page_id=8 for more).

I have tested the latest Beta and it's awsome! Thank's to the new anamorphic feature as well as AppleTV support I was able to transcode some of my older letterboxed DVDs to AppleTV. Have a look on the new version - it's great!

Still puzzled about the name of the app. It seems they have finally decided on Handbrake
Quote:
"The next public beta release will be called HandBrake" reference: http://handbrake.m0k.org/
blusft

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handbrake can rip DVD to Apple TV/iPod for free.
kaidomac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to drop in and say how impressed I am with the latest release of Handbrake. It does a really incredible job with next to zero effort and the encoding times on a dual-core machine are phenomenal (almost 1:1 on my machine!). The quality is much better than both Divx and Xvid at comparable file sizes.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaidomac wrote:
I just wanted to drop in and say how impressed I am with the latest release of Handbrake. It does a really incredible job with next to zero effort and the encoding times on a dual-core machine are phenomenal (almost 1:1 on my machine!). The quality is much better than both Divx and Xvid at comparable file sizes.

It's an awesome release! I think the guys that came over from MediaFork could be responsible for that speed increase. My rip times have never been faster. And the video quality is most impressive on my Apple TV. Don't tell them, but I would pay for this product out the nose. Laughing
Mr.187

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
kaidomac wrote:

It's an awesome release! I think the guys that came over from MediaFork could be responsible for that speed increase. My rip times have never been faster. And the video quality is most impressive on my Apple TV. Don't tell them, but I would pay for this product out the nose. Laughing

Do you use 2 pass encoding?

Cheers

Tim

Had: Core Duo Mac Mini, 30GB Video iPod,ATV and the Apple Hi-Fi.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.187 wrote:

Cheers

Tim

Yep, every time. It really helps with the overall video quality and greatly reduces artifacts. Especially in action movies with fast moving scenes.
Mr.187

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
Mr.187 wrote:

Cheers

Tim

Yep, every time. It really helps with the overall video quality and greatly reduces artifacts. Especially in action movies with fast moving scenes.

I'm just ripping a movie 2hrs 42mins long with 2 pass, AAC audio, 2500 bit rate (apple TV profile) and it's nearly taken 24hrs is this right?

Had: Core Duo Mac Mini, 30GB Video iPod,ATV and the Apple Hi-Fi.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.187 wrote:
I'm just ripping a movie 2hrs 42mins long with 2 pass, AAC audio, 2500 bit rate (apple TV profile) and it's nearly taken 24hrs is this right?

I never use the Apple TV profile, but it shouldn't take that long. I rip all of my videos with MPEG-4, not AVC/H.264. The quality of the video is totally acceptable and it doesn't take nearly as long to rip. Just make sure your video is below 720 x 432. You should also change the extension from .mp4 to .m4v for chapters to show.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: