123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Connecting a Mac Mini to a Sony HD TV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Austin MacTexas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Connecting a Mac Mini to a Sony HD TV Reply with quote

I got a new Sony HDTV with an HDMI input port on it. I bought myself an aftermarket HDMI-to-DVI adapter cable and hooked it to my Mac Mini. But got nothing on the TV screen.

Anyone done something similar? I know Macs usually "sense" the monitor's capabilities, but in this case it did not.

Is the video chip in the Mini even capable of a high def TV signal? The Apple S-video adapter is an option I suppose, but I was hoping for 1080i quality.

Last edited by Austin MacTexas on Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
slickrick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about HDTV setups, but there's a new setup in the gallery with someone using a 60" Sony. Looks like they got it to work using DisplayConfigX.

http://tenant.com/mini.php
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple.com wrote:
* DVI video output for digital resolutions up to 1920 x 1200 pixels; supports 20-inch Apple Cinema display and 23-inch Apple Cinema HD display; supports coherent digital displays up to 154MHz; supports non-coherent digital displays up to 135MHz
* VGA video output (using included adapter) to support analog resolutions up to 1920 x 1080 pixels
* S-video and composite video output to connect directly to a TV or projector (requires Apple DVI to Video Adapter, sold separately)

The Mini should be able to handle the 1080i resolution. There is a program out there that can force a Mac to output at certain resolutions. I can't remember it right now, though.

Edit: If you told us your TV's model number we might be able to help you out a little better.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Austin MacTexas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for not including all the info. The TV is a Sony KD-30XS955.

I did take a look at link slickrick posted. That should be enough info for me to give it another go. Thanks.

The other article mentions that 720p is as good as it gets. DisplayConfigX does not support interlaced timings, thus 1080i not an option.

I assume that a "real" 720p signal should still look much sharper than using the Apple DVI to S-video/composite adapter. Anyone using the Apple adapter care to share their experience?

I'll post my results, good or bad, but it will be the weekend befor I have time to try it.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin MacTexas wrote:
Sorry for not including all the info. The TV is a Sony KD-30XS955.

I did take a look at link slickrick posted. That should be enough info for me to give it another go. Thanks.

The other article mentions that 720p is as good as it gets. DisplayConfigX does not support interlaced timings, thus 1080i not an option.

I assume that a "real" 720p signal should still look much sharper than using the Apple DVI to S-video/composite adapter. Anyone using the Apple adapter care to share their experience?

I'll post my results, good or bad, but it will be the weekend befor I have time to try it.

You wouldn't be able to use an S-Video or composite cable to create a 720p signal. Those adapters can only carry a VGA signal, and so can't carry an HD signal, if I'm not mistaken. Either way, using HDMI will give you a much better signal and all the bandwidth you'd need for 720p.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: