123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Playing a 720x480 File

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scarpad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Playing a 720x480 File Reply with quote

I've been using Clonemobile to take rip some 4x3 tv shows and been saving them to MP4 at full resolution. Itunes will play the file fine. I don't own a video Ipod I'm just using them for playback on my 32" Hi Def LCD thru my PPC Mini. I won't be getting a ATV at launch but might at some point down the Line. I'd like to hear from the early adopters whether a 720x480 res file plays thru ATV without a problem. Can't wait to start getting some feedback on this device.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to give feedback! Very Happy

I wish Apple would hurry up and start getting these things out the door.
shorafix

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Playing a 720x480 File Reply with quote

Scarpad wrote:
I've been using Clonemobile to take rip some 4x3 tv shows and been saving them to MP4 at full resolution. Itunes will play the file fine..... I'd like to hear from the early adopters whether a 720x480 res file plays thru ATV without a problem.

Well yes, AppleTV may play back those files or not. My own experience: using MediaFork (aka Handbrake) or eyeTV in order to export MPEG2 footage may result in clips that can be imported by AppleTV. There should be a way to transfer your original footage into AppleTV by tweaking some of the parameters. At least those clips should be H.264 video as well as AAC Audio at an datarate of less than 5 Mb/s (including audio). If those clips can be played back by iTunes on your Mac, it may not necessarily play back on AppleTV. Qualtiy is acceptable but does not match HDV. And last but not least: transcoding takes hell of a time.

AppleTV attached via HDMI to a Pioneer 50" Plasma
Connection to G5 server: Ethernet
Applications tested so far: iTunes, eyeTV, Quicktime, MediaFork (aka Handbrake), Compressor.
shorafix

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Playing a 720x480 File Reply with quote

Scarpad wrote:
I've been using Clonemobile ...
By the way, I just noticed, that clonemobile was Wintel Software. I just wonder how this guys make money out of selling such an app for $ 69 plus. The software referred to in my previous answer to your post is based on MacOS X. MediaFork (aka Handbrake) is just beta and still freeware, while eyeTV2 came together with my eyeTV Sat receiver. However, specs for AppleTV remain the same. Good luck on the PC software.
MCeeP

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just tried encoding a file in 720x480 in handbrake at 2500kbps, and aside from some small black bars on the side (it was originally a 4x3 cartoon) it plays like a champ. So appleTV wins again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: