123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you think Apple will drop the mini
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think Apple will drop the mini
Yes
22%
 22%  [ 11 ]
No
77%
 77%  [ 38 ]
Total Votes : 49

imfullofit

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Do you think Apple will drop the mini Reply with quote

It seems like everything has been updated except the mini. I think we may see something new at WWDC. I was thinking that the mini is too close in price to the apple TV. Many people here have been talking for a long time about a larger machine that is somewhere between a mac pro and a mini.

What do you guys think?

www.julianvandercook.com
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they do, it won't be because of Apple TV. While the devices have similar footprints, they don't do the same thing. Also, $599 is not that close in price to $299.
opnickc

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Do you think Apple will drop the mini Reply with quote

imfullofit wrote:
It seems like everything has been updated except the mini.

Well, you're wrong from the get-go. The iMac hasn't been updated since last september either, and there's no way Apple's discontinuing that.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Apple will drop the mini. Even though I want something between the mini and the Mac Pro I doubt Apple will make it either. If they did I would purchase it immediately. I'm still running a G4 mini and a Mac Pro is too large and too costly for my basic needs. The mini satisfies my need except in the storage space department.
imfullofit

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you think Apple will drop the mini Reply with quote

opnickc wrote:
imfullofit wrote:
It seems like everything has been updated except the mini.

Well, you're wrong from the get-go. The iMac hasn't been updated since last september either, and there's no way Apple's discontinuing that.

I should have been more clear. The mini hasn't been updated to a core 2 duo. It got a mild speed bump in September and now is the only machine that is 32 bit and not Core 2. Hopefully I am wrong and they will go straight to santa rosa and the better GPU in a few years after they add LED screens and santa rosa to everything else.

The mini has remained the same in form since January 2005. This is not much longer than the imac and the power mac has had the same form factor since July 2003. I was just thinking that apple likes to come out with new stuff and that if something was a redesigned the mini is the most likely candidate right now.

www.julianvandercook.com
marv

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: will apple drop the mini ? Reply with quote

i couldn't see this happening. the mini plays an important part in Apple's line up providing a cost effective solution for people wanting to switch to mac (and they don't have to purchase a new monitor)
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see them dropping the mini altogether, but they just might replace it with something slightly larger, higher powered and more expensive.

Last edited by Fox on Mon May 21, 2007 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Apple might drop the mini. The Mac mini is following the eMac's footsteps, not being updated with the other machines and will slowly get discontinued as time passes.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyPod wrote:
The Mac mini is following the eMac's footsteps, not being updated with the other machines and will slowly get discontinued as time passes.

That wasn't the case with the eMac. It was updated along with other machines. If for anything else, it was discontinued because of the CRT monitor. I think the Mac mini and or other small form factor Macs are here to stay. It's clear to me that Apple is only set on offering small headless form factor computers (like the Mac mini and Cube) and all-in-on systems like the iMac for consumers. They are going to leave the cheap $400 oversized towers to HP and Dell. I would list the reasons why, but I'm running late for work. Laughing
jordz84

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
I don't see them dropping the mini altogether, but they just might replace it with something slightly larger, higher powered and more expensive.

Sounds good Smile
robinscruffy

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too much of a lovable computer to drop. Too many people use it and want to buy it.
- iPod Touch 8GB

Visit www.thebigapples.net Very Happy Podcasts, Videos & more Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
I would list the reasons why, but I'm running late for work. Laughing

I've been thinking about this for a while. I'll give you the greatest reason why Apple won't add a low cost upgradeable tower to the mix. Apple simply cannot afford to have a product like this in their line with a relatively small market share. They need to keep us coming back every 2-3 years for a new Mac to stay in the computer business. They don't want us upgrading the video card, having PCI expansion or multiple drive bays. That equals less sales and lengthens the buying cycle. Anyone agree with me on this?
iLife's a Bitch!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I somewhat agree, g5g5, but I wasn't thinking of a potential replacement for the mini being a low cost upgradeable tower. I was thinking they might make something more capable than the current mini, possibly a bit more expandable, and slightly larger. Something more like a Cube with iMac specs that sells for a few hundred less than an iMac. In other words, something that would cost more than an iMac to give it an equivalent keyboard, mouse and monitor.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my case specifically, I don't agree. I would want a tower simply so I can put hard drives in the thing. Possibly a future Blu-Ray burner.

I usually upgrade my machines ever 2 years. By then things have changed so much that if find it's time to replace the entire unit, rather than upgrade individual components. Usually by then the machine is dated and not worth putting money into.

This pattern comes from my Windows days. Usually I would upgrade the entire unit when a new OS was released. I'm still looking at doing the same thing when Leopard is released. This time I may overlook the mini simply because of the limited internal storage space. Even though I keep my system and cabling tidy, I'm sick of having so many individual components and power supplies. Everytime I think of adding something I have to consider, how it will look. If I've got the ports etc. Right now I'm running 2 individual UPS's just to keep everything powered and properly protected.
jordz84

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Even though I keep my system and cabling tidy, I'm sick of having so many individual components and power supplies. Everytime I think of adding something I have to consider, how it will look. If I've got the ports etc. Right now I'm running 2 individual UPS's just to keep everything powered and properly protected.

I agree, my next upgrade will be an all-in-one whether the Mini is still around or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: