123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

External HD enclosures --- What's the consensus so far?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: External HD enclosures --- What's the consensus so far? Reply with quote

So, now that we have several users with different brands of external HD enclosures "out there" now in 123Macmini land...Which products seem to be separating themselves from the pack?

What runs cooler, quieter, etc?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good question. Most user reviews have been pretty negative for the miniStack and miniMate. The LaCie looks promising but doesn't include a hub. I'm not sure what to think at this point. Confused
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
That's a good question. Most user reviews have been pretty negative for the miniStack and miniMate. The LaCie looks promising but doesn't include a hub. I'm not sure what to think at this point. Confused

I have no burning need at this point...so perhaps I'll just wait it out a while longer. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The miniStack is the most feature-rich accessory in this category, IMHO. I'm giving it the thumbs up. What I can't do is compare temperature and noise with other Mini-specific units since I don't have any experience with them at this point.

I'd also like to add that people shouldn't overlook the fact that they can also select from a multitude of "traditional" FW enclosures and/or hubs if they can forego the aesthetics aspect of a matching, stackable device. Many of these devices are well-proven, well-reviewed and available.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg wrote:
I'd also like to add that people shouldn't overlook the fact that they can also select from a multitude of "traditional" FW enclosures and/or hubs if they can forego the aesthetics aspect of a matching, stackable device. Many of these devices are well-proven, well-reviewed and available.

Most definitely. I'm not too stuck on having something that matches, so when the time is right, I may simply get something that meets my needs and not worry about something made to look pretty. Wink
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd hold out for the LaCie as there is no CLEAR winner at this time. It may not be a "hub" but it clearly has the best engineering.
oldskoolboarder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my Ministack.
danny_w

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan t get a LaCie next month if nothing else comes out that looks better. I already have a USB hub in my monitor (Dell 2005fpw), so that is not a big deal. The fw hub would have been nice, though.
Austin MacTexas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first manuafacturer to incorporate a flash card reader onto the front of their miniStack/miniMate clone gets my vote as the undisputed Prince of the Mole Hill. (mini king of the mountain Wink
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin MacTexas wrote:
The first manuafacturer to incorporate a flash card reader onto the front of their miniStack/miniMate clone gets my vote as the undisputed Prince of the Mole Hill. (mini king of the mountain Wink

First post! Very Happy

I'd like to see two USB ports on the front panel of these Mac mini enclosures. A media card reader would be a sweet option. It would be cool if you were able to download your CompactFlash Card to the drive without turning on your Mac mini. Why do the makers of these Mac mini enclosures suggest you place the enclosure below the Mac mini? I know they're worried about wireless reception but heat rises. Stacking the enclosure on top of the Mac mini is a smarter way to deal with heat if you ask me. What are the two warmest things when they are separated? The top of the enclosure and the bottom of the Mac mini! Why would you want those two things touching?
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OGN wrote:
Why do the makers of these Mac mini enclosures suggest you place the enclosure below the Mac mini? I know they're worried about wireless reception but heat rises. Stacking the enclosure on top of the Mac mini is a smarter way to deal with heat if you ask me. What are the two warmest things when they are separated? The top of the enclosure and the bottom of the Mac mini! Why would you want those two things touching?

Welcome to the forums.

Apple explicitly states that you should not stack things on top of the Mini so the vendors are working within certain prescribed parameters. And remember that these devices, just like the Mini, also put off heat. The MiniStack, for example, uses a fan but also radiates heat out through a passive heatsink on the bottom side. You wouldn't want that sitting directly on top of your Mini either.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: