123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stupid question about wireless
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philpro68

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Stupid question about wireless Reply with quote

Confused Is there any such thing as usb wireless? It would be awesome for the mini if you could plug in a wireless usb doomaflotchy. Presto Network! Laughing
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid question about wireless Reply with quote

philpro68 wrote:
Confused Is there any such thing as usb wireless? It would be awesome for the mini if you could plug in a wireless usb doomaflotchy. Presto Network! Laughing

Nope. But there IS bluetooth. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
philpro68

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid question about wireless Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
philpro68 wrote:

I'm sorry, what is that? is it like a usb blue tooth adapter for mac? I just did a search, and their are tons of wireless usb adapters for PC. Gosh how great that would be for the mini!! Sounds like a multi-million dollar idea for someone with the know how! If it happens, remember you saw it here first and give me my cut! Wink
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid question about wireless Reply with quote

philpro68 wrote:
mavherzog wrote:
philpro68 wrote:

I'm sorry, what is that? is it like a usb blue tooth adapter for mac? I just did a search, and their are tons of wireless usb adapters for PC. Gosh how great that would be for the mini!! Sounds like a multi-million dollar idea for someone with the know how! If it happens, remember you saw it here first and give me my cut! Wink

I must not be understanding what the OP is talking about. I thought he was wanting some sort of wireless extension of USB. There are certainly tons of USB-based wireless NICs out there (and even some that have drivers for OS X).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid question about wireless Reply with quote

philpro68 wrote:

I have no idea what your question is about, but there is a wireless version of USB. I don't believe it has any products based on it yet, but I do believe that it has been ratified as a standard. Bluetooth is pretty much THE wireless peripheral standard, though, but it has many limitations. First and foremost, it is open to attack even if your device is paired, though I am not sure if encryption changes this. It also only supports a few protocols such as wireless headset, FTP, electronic business card transfer, and some others. I don't think Bluetooth supports a pure data transfer mode like FireWire or USB do. The problem with this is that it is not extensible without at least a firmware upgrade, sometimes a hardware upgrade. Not all devices support all of these protocols either. Speeds are also very slow with Bluetooth; BT 1.1 doesn't transfer enough bandwidth for wireless headphones I believe. BT 2.0 does for sure.

I believe wireless USB works just like USB in that it is merely a data transfer protocol, but that data can be manipulated in anyway once it reaches its destination. USB wireless is also much faster than BT.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
philpro68

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid question about wireless Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
philpro68 wrote:

I have no idea what your question is about, but there is a wireless version of USB. I don't believe it has any products based on it yet, but I do believe that it has been ratified as a standard. Bluetooth is pretty much THE wireless peripheral standard, though, but it has many limitations. First and foremost, it is open to attack even if your device is paired, though I am not sure if encryption changes this. It also only supports a few protocols such as wireless headset, FTP, electronic business card transfer, and some others. I don't think Bluetooth supports a pure data transfer mode like FireWire or USB do. The problem with this is that it is not extensible without at least a firmware upgrade, sometimes a hardware upgrade. Not all devices support all of these protocols either. Speeds are also very slow with Bluetooth; BT 1.1 doesn't transfer enough bandwidth for wireless headphones I believe. BT 2.0 does for sure.

I believe wireless USB works just like USB in that it is merely a data transfer protocol, but that data can be manipulated in anyway once it reaches its destination. USB wireless is also much faster than BT.

I was just wondering if the airport extreme card was the only option for connecting the mini wirelessly? This is why I was asking about the USB wireless.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid question about wireless Reply with quote

philpro68 wrote:
Susurrus wrote:
philpro68 wrote:

I was just wondering if the airport extreme card was the only option for connecting the mini wirelessly? This is why I was asking about the USB wireless.

Okay. The answer to that question is yes. There are two options including wireless USB adapters or using a router as an adapter. If you don't have the Airport Extreme and BT kit built-in you can also purchase it aftermarket. I don't know the support for third-party USB 802.11g adapters, but I know Apple has some on their site.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
ninjamini

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't there 802.11b thumb drive size devices. There should be.
jared52

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done some digging and I found this:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15997

I bought a MA111 on Ebay for $22 shipped. I hope it works as it is listed in the plist file mentioned in that article. I'll let you guys know.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjamini wrote:

Yep, that's what we're talking about. There's no point in buying a b one though, might as well get the g.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
e3mw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjamini wrote:

I know there are lots of thumbdrive 802.11 dongles for PC, but i've yet to find one that works with Mac (hopefully those drivers that jared52 mentioned work.) I also have a BT dongle that I really hope works on my mini. Using these dongles will save lots of $$ when it comes to stuff I probably wont use all that often but might need from time to time. Razz
30GB 5th Gen iPod | 512MB Shuffle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e3mw wrote:
ninjamini wrote:

I know there are lots of thumbdrive 802.11 dongles for PC, but i've yet to find one that works with Mac (hopefully those drivers that jared52 mentioned work.) I also have a BT dongle that I really hope works on my mini. Using these dongles will save lots of $$ when it comes to stuff I probably wont use all that often but might need from time to time. Razz

You could just buy the internal kit; it'll come to be about the same price by the time you get both a BT and WiFi USB drive.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
nolandempsey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you CAN use a router as a wireless network adapter? Cause I found one thats cheaper than any wireless bridge I've found.
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

802.11b is perfectly fine if you are just using a home network to surf the net and ocasionally transfer files. I also used a 802.11b network untill recently. I was able to wirelessly stream iTunes to my stereo using an Airport Express with encryption without a hiccup.

I just purchased a Belkin Pre-N and am replacing a mini pci card in my wifes laptop to make the network all 802.11g.

The only drawback to using 802.11b is that WEP is the only encryption available and the don't seem to like it when the router does not broadcast the ssid.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you turn the SSID off in the control panel? You can with my 54G router from Belkin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: