123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates MacBook
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug Eldred
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Intel GMA950 chipset is fine for SOME gaming, but it's not as good as higher-end video cards for SOME gaming. Of course, some video cards are better than others, too! I'm not a gamer, so I can't give you the details, but others posts here and on other sites discuss this in some detail. No doubt some magazines do too.

Doug
Jeffy

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a decent update. Not going with SR is a bit strange though.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this update is due to there being a large amount of laptop PC's with 64bit processors and 1gb of ram standard. The big box stores are always running $600-$800 dollar specials with these specs. Apple is just keeping up with sales trends in the market.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: To sum it up... Reply with quote

This is a speed/RAM bump update, not a revision.

But still, where is the Mac mini update? We're still waiting for the Core 2 Duo here... Confused
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
I think this update is due to there being a large amount of laptop PC's with 64bit processors and 1gb of ram standard. The big box stores are always running $600-$800 dollar specials with these specs. Apple is just keeping up with sales trends in the market.

It sounds like they should have dropped the prices of the MacBook by another $200-$400 then. Wink Laughing

I agree with what you're saying though. I've seen some pretty sweet deals on Sony, Dell and HP laptops out there. It's a pure buyer's market right now. As far as I'm concerned the only real trump card for Apple is OS X.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold my 1.83GHz MacBook about three months after getting it. The glossy screen and my old eyes didn't make a nice match. I'm going to upgrade to a MacBook Pro when Leopard comes out. I just hope Apple keeps offering them with a matte screen. I'm not sure what, if any, effect those new LED screens will have on that.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: hope Reply with quote

I would be plenty happy if the Mac Mini dropped the lower end and lowered the price say $100 on the higher end model to have one model that has 1.83GHz C2D.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
severe

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: hope Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
I would be plenty happy if the Mac Mini dropped the lower end and lowered the price say $100 on the higher end model to have one model that has 1.83GHz C2D.

dungeon,

At which point, you would make what decision? Buy the newer C2D or the current higher end model?

If there aren't any major upgrades (more than C2D), when the time comes, I think I may get the current 1.83GHz. Either way, I'll have to make a move in several weeks. It'll be my first Mini.

Great forum, BTW. Been lurking for the past few weeks.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heavy_nutz wrote:
nice! Now im just waiting for the macbook pro and minis.

It's about bl¡€£¢∞!@#$ time too! I'm waiting for a Core2Duo Mini since January! Evil or Very Mad
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: C2D Reply with quote

For those of you who don't realize the one major and very much so key difference between CD and C2D. 64-bit, Leopard will have 64-bit support and a lot of it since only the Mac mini isn't shipping 64-bit equipped. Also, I'm getting a MacBook now so I don't need a Mac mini yet.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: C2D Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
For those of you who don't realize the one major and very much so key difference between CD and C2D. 64-bit, Leopard will have 64-bit support and a lot of it since only the Mac mini isn't shipping 64-bit equipped. Also, I'm getting a MacBook now so I don't need a Mac mini yet.

Nice for you, but we are not ignorant either... Razz The best thing is, of course, to buy a new C2D mini WITH Leopard, and maybe we might have to wait until October for that, but that's still a long time. Sad
MacScout67

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say it, but this really isn't a good time to buy any Mac. Leopard and a new iLife are only 5 months away. Chances are if you buy a new Mac now you'll want both of those products in 5 months. Going out and buying them later will at least set you back two bills. That amount accounts for a large percentage of the total cost of any Mac, especially the iMac, Mac mini and MacBook. I can understand that Apple is trying to sweeten the deal and move some machines here, but the smart buyer knows what is coming down the road. JMTC
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is always something coming down the road and 5 months is not "only 5 month", especially when you are waiting already since January...
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
Hate to be a pessimist, but the omission of the mini from this round of updates seems to be one more nail in its coffin.

I'm really beginning to think seriously that the mini isn't on Apple's product roadmap anymore.

I hope I'm wrong, and I hope to see a separate update. But given the similarity of the two products, this looks like a giant red flag to me.

Confused

Jamie

It would be very upsetting for some if the mini was discontinued, mostly those who have been waiting so long for an update to buy their first mini. The worst part is you could have bought a core solo sooooo long ago and did the core 2 duo upgrade on your own without issues (except warranty and price).

All that being said, I have faith the the mini will stay in the line-up and get an upgrade. I personally would like to see it discontinued and replaced by something slightly larger and upgradable (another story).

This all goes to show that Apple is unpredictable. Waiting on hardware upgrades is a gamble that many times does not pay off.
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
Why would Apple stop selling a computer that is apparently selling well? This isn't a Cube like situation we're talking about. I don't buy it.

Apple replaced the #1 selling iPod at the time, the iPod Mini, with the Nano. The company is completely unafraid of seemingly radical product moves.

I'm not saying it'll happen. I'm just saying that it wouldn't surprise me a bit if it did. Regardless of the sheer number of minis sold, we may never know if it has sold enough to meet Apple's expectations for the product.

Smile

Jamie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: