123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NewerTech miniStack for Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Mac mini is heating up the miniStack Reply with quote

greg wrote:
joedefig wrote:
It actually seems to be the heat coming off of the Mac mini that is causing the miniStack fan to stay on all the time until the Mac mini is idle or in Sleep mode...
...So I think the idea of the clear rubber feet to separate the two units a little should help. Should have the effect of what Lacie is doing with their mini drive. I'll have to give it a try this weekend. I have the miniStack that came with the Hitachi 250GB drive installed.

I believe you are correct. The bottom of the Mini is a heat factory. I added some clear adhesive backed feet both to the bottom of the Mini and bottom of the MiniStack and it seems to help keep the top of the miniStack cooler and give it room to radiate heat away underneath. I have not had problems with the fan running non-stop. Like you said, the addition of some cheap feet gives you some separation that should achieve the same effect as the LaCie design with the additional bonus of a nice hub which the LaCie does not provide.

The Radeon 9200 is cooled by using the case, especially the bottom, as a massive heatsink; considering how OS X uses the video card to draw the desktop now with Quartz Extreme, the heat buildup would be significant. (I think the 9200 is capable of Quartz Extreme, but I'm not sure. Either way, heat is radiated out the bottom.)
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
anthonymoody

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think mine must be defective then. I have it spaced 4-5 inches from my mini and the fan in the stack never turns off.

TM
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthonymoody wrote:
I think mine must be defective then. I have it spaced 4-5 inches from my mini and the fan in the stack never turns off.

TM

What is their return policy? I would return it and try another one.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
anthonymoody

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will. Worst case I guess I get another one with a buzzy fan that stays on all the time...

TM
anthonymoody

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to keep you guys posted, I shipped my ministack back to OWC today for a replacement. Hopefully the replacement's fan will actually spin down every now and then Smile

TM
anthonymoody

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On BYODKM.net they picked up that the ministack now comes in both a 320 gig and 500 gig configuration along with all the original sizes. I'm still waiting for my replacement 400gig model.

TM
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthonymoody wrote:
On BYODKM.net they picked up that the ministack now comes in both a 320 gig and 500 gig configuration along with all the original sizes. I'm still waiting for my replacement 400gig model.

TM

http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1251

We've been talking it about it on this thread.
iLife's a Bitch!
anthonymoody

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops sorry! I've been subscribing to this thread and not browsing the forum...

TM
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's ok! I just posted on there.
iLife's a Bitch!
anthonymoody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update on my ministack situation. Spoke with OWC today who received my 400gig ministack back via RMA. They diagnosed it and apparently they found that the drive came from a batch where the drive's powersupply was insufficient to boot it up everytime (?) which sounds like a problem some others of you were having iirc.

Anyway, I'm supposed to get my replacement next week. Hopefully the fan will spin down every now and then Smile

TM
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthonymoody wrote:
An update on my ministack situation. Spoke with OWC today who received my 400gig ministack back via RMA. They diagnosed it and apparently they found that the drive came from a batch where the drive's powersupply was insufficient to boot it up everytime (?) which sounds like a problem some others of you were having iirc.

Anyway, I'm supposed to get my replacement next week. Hopefully the fan will spin down every now and then Smile

TM

Good to know. Please let us know how the new unit works out. Mine continues to work well for me. For the last week or so I have had it stacked directly under the Mini with the addition of some feet between the two and have not experienced any excessive fan operation or heat during that time. The drive, when spinning, is still louder than that of the Mini but not annoyingly so.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthonymoody wrote:

TM

Glad to hear you're getting a new one. I wonder how that would affect heat and fan activity? Confused
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
resuna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
Well, first off the difference when going from a half-gig to a gig of RAM would be negligible to begin with unless you do a lot of video/audio/digital imagery.

Or MMORPGs: Second Life really wants a gig.

Not only is there a bunch of disk I/O and pauses, if I'm scripting or something (mostly what I've been doing on there is scripting) so I need to switch between SL and a browser (even with SL in a window) there's at least 30 seconds of beachball before the browser wakes up, another 30 seconds to get back to SL. After a session where I was doing a bunch of scripting I checked my swapfiles.

4.6 gigabytes of VM allocated.

I'll bet SL really flies on a dual G5 with 8G, though. Smile
BritMac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: MiniStack Booting Problem Reply with quote

I am having a problem booting from my miniStack after powering down the stack and was wondering if any other miniStack owners out there could duplicate the problem.

I can boot fine from the miniStack from a restart or even a shut down as long as I don't power down the miniStack. But if I ...

1. Shut down the Mac mini (from the Apple menu)
2. Turn off the power to the miniStack (using the switch on the back of the miniStack) - the blue light goes out.
3. Turn on the power to the miniStack - the blue light is back on
4. Restart the Mac mini - power button on the back of the Mac mini

Under these circumstances the Mac mini reverts to booting from its internal drive and the drive in the miniStack does not even mount - it does not appear on the desktop. If I now power cycle the miniStack then the external drives reappear and if I then restart the Mac without powering down the miniStack, the Mac will revert back to booting from the miniStack.

I tried booting the Mac mini from another external firewire enclosure and it booted fine, even from a complete power down, so at this point I think there is a problem with the miniStack. I have called OWC and they are looking into it, but in the meantime if any miniStack owners out there could duplicate this problem, at least that would let me know whether I just have a bad unit or not.

Thanks

Setup Info:-
The drive in the miniStack is a Seagate 250GB 7200.8
The interface switch is set to 1394a
Mac Mini is a 1.25GHz 1GB RAM 40GB HD model running at 1.5GHz
Mac OS X 10.4.2 on the miniStack 250GB
Mac OS x 10.3.9 on the internal 40GB
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: MiniStack Booting Problem Reply with quote

BritMac wrote:
I am having a problem booting from my miniStack after powering down the stack and was wondering if any other miniStack owners out there could duplicate the problem.

I can boot fine from the miniStack from a restart or even a shut down as long as I don't power down the miniStack. But if I ...

1. Shut down the Mac mini (from the Apple menu)
2. Turn off the power to the miniStack (using the switch on the back of the miniStack) - the blue light goes out.
3. Turn on the power to the miniStack - the blue light is back on
4. Restart the Mac mini - power button on the back of the Mac mini

Under these circumstances the Mac mini reverts to booting from its internal drive and the drive in the miniStack does not even mount - it does not appear on the desktop. If I now power cycle the miniStack then the external drives reappear and if I then restart the Mac without powering down the miniStack, the Mac will revert back to booting from the miniStack.

I tried booting the Mac mini from another external firewire enclosure and it booted fine, even from a complete power down, so at this point I think there is a problem with the miniStack. I have called OWC and they are looking into it, but in the meantime if any miniStack owners out there could duplicate this problem, at least that would let me know whether I just have a bad unit or not.

Thanks

Setup Info:-
The drive in the miniStack is a Seagate 250GB 7200.8
The interface switch is set to 1394a
Mac Mini is a 1.25GHz 1GB RAM 40GB HD model running at 1.5GHz
Mac OS X 10.4.2 on the miniStack 250GB
Mac OS x 10.3.9 on the internal 40GB

I have seen the mini not want to boot from an external on my set up. Have you set the startup disk in the System Preferences Panel? Try resetting it and do a cold boot. You my also need to reset your PRAM and NVRAM, instructions are here.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: